Guests on here?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Are there really guests on this board? I thought it was members only.

Under 'What's Going On' (bottom of the page) there are member's names browsing the site along with a message that there are guests too.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Diedra- I believe that "guests" can see everything on the board without having to sign in. I can understand that for some of the forums but I think that for Chit Chat and some of the more personal areas it should be Members Only. I've felt this way for a long time but didn't know if anyone else did.

Ginger- Is this a possibility to make certain areas "Members Only"?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It would be nice if some areas were members only.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
DId some one message Ginger about this yet to see if she can change that? maybe try to reach her on FB?

Jeff Westover

MHH Maintenance Dept.
Staff member
MHH Admin
Sep 7, 2009
Cache Valley, Utah
mymerrychristmas.com
I'm not sure which forums Ginger has set to "members" only, though I think it is significant. We always leave the homepage available, and usually topic or thread titles. People who search for specific things will find through the titles a hint of what they are looking for and hopefully are encouraged to register and join the site.

Guests can also be "bots" -- Google and other search engines are constantly crawling the site for new topics that you all post, which gets indexed in the search engines and that also brings new people to us.

You want to keep a blend of private and public areas -- make it public and we will get overwhelmed with spammers, trolls and bad elements. Make it too closed and people won't participate.

It's a fine line.

It is all Ginger's call as to which areas are more private than others.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks Jeff, now I feel like tiny bots are crawling all over me. lol

Thanks for your time and support here. You have a great NYE and a wonderful New Year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I know in the past I have been able to view the Chit Chat forum without being logged in.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Our thanks to both Jeff and Ginger for keeping our little world turning so perfectly again this year.
I am sure you know how much this place means to us, so thanks for everything you do.