halloween 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
About 10 years ago, our parish seat about 15 miles away started having a Main Street Prowl with the local businesses. Every since then, the trick or treating in our town has dwindled until we no longer get any trick or treaters. I stopped buying candy about 2 years ago...still buy a small bag, just in case, but shouldn't even do that. It makes me sad because I totally loved handing out candy and seeing all the little people dressed up.

On the other hand, Halloween always excites me because, to me, it's the official kick off of the holiday season!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
59 days until Halloween. :)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I never thought about there being Halloween soap! That sounds like fun.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We have fun Halloween themed hand soap dispensers that I just clean and re-use every year - one is a jack o'lantern and the other is a white ghost - I don't so much decorating in the bathrooms but I do try to get the holiday soaps in there!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
AJ - I will keep my eyes open for Halloween soap dispensers. I don't tend to decorate for Halloween in the bathroom anymore but I do like an element of fun in there. It's usually unexpected.

The other day I went into Walmart looking for Autumn/Halloween soap. I thought for sure that SoftSoap would have something. I couldn't find anything. Then today, I stopped into a different Walmart on my way to work, and they had a whole SoftSoap Halloween section as soon as I walked into the store! I picked up two.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I always see them and I'm always so tempted to get more but I don't since we already have two that are still perfectly good! Although I do need one more for the downstairs bathroom now that it is finished! :)

You guys know you can refill the foaming soap dispensers too, right? If you want to! I can share how I do it if anyone needs the intel!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
AJ - Could you share how you do it? I have a foaming one but the pump has been acting up lately. Maybe I'm filling it up the wrong way or maybe it's really broken.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We don't celebrate Halloween but I could not resist the Halloween hand soap at bath and body. The cat looks so much like my buddy with that whimsical face. I only decorate for fall/ thanksgiving.
We live so rural our only trick or treaters came on the hay wagon. We would pass out candy because they were neighbor kids. But everyone is grown now.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ok, so after reading about Halloween soap, I am now seeing it all over the place. LOL! I went to Christmas Tree Shop and as soon I walked in, there was a display facing me. It had a filled skull soap dispenser, a filled ghost dispenser and an filled apple dispenser. I didn't buy any since I already have some but if I see Halloween/Autumn soap on clearance after Halloween, I will be picking some up for next year.

Reactions: housewife2

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yesterday I gave DGS his pirate costume. It's the one from Melissa and Doug. It's very cute. He loved the eye patch. He wore the patch on his forehead so he could see. DS was worried he would ruin it before Halloween but I said not to worry about it because I've already ordered DGS a dinosaur costume to give to him next month. I'm thinking they are more dress up items than what he will be for Halloween. At 3 he will change his mind every day.

I ordered DD a spider web cape since she said she wanted me to paint a spider on her face again. I ordered me a long hoodie to start gathering items for a pirate costume. Not sure if we will wear any of these this year or not but it's a start. I do need to declutter the Halloween costumes.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Halloween is not something that we traditionally do here. I have noticed over the past few years it is becoming more popular.
Last year we had a few people knock on the door and I had nothing for them.
My question is, what do you give out? I am thinking the fun sized mars or snickers are suitable. Do you only give wrapped lollies?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Fun size are what most people do in our area. I fill plastic gloves with candy. I need to get started on them now. I need to find some plastic spider rings for them too.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I went to Bath and Body works to get my Fall and Halloween soap, but some lady had come in when the "secret" sale posted and bought all the Halloween soap they had. It was super cute and I wanted Vampire blood. So I'll do without this year just got 6 different varieties of Pumpkin. LOTS of pumpkin!!

Here is a small pic of the hand sanitizers, but they have the same scents in the hand soap. Super cute designs.

023901770_crop_h.jpg

Reactions: housewife2

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Wasn't done, so I'll make another post. I think I'm actually going to skip Trunk or Treat at church this year. That's a HUGE decision in my life!! We'll see how guilty I feel as the time gets closer, but I think I'm going to have a date night with my hubby instead. I live in the Denver Metro area and down south in Colorado Springs they are having a Giant Pumpkin Festival. It just sounds too fun to not go and I've never actually seen giant pumpkins in person. My husband will be out of town all that week so I thought it would make for a fun date when he gets back in town. It's our biggest activity of the year and I think in all the years I can remember I've skipped only one other time. Can you see me trying to rationalize this out in my head. ;)

So if I don't do trunk or treat I'll still have an opportunity to dress up when I work at the elections office on Halloween, but for that reason I'd want to keep my costume super simple and not put much money into it. I usually try and match my costume up with the theme I'm doing for my car or room. Maybe I'll just repeat an old costume, but we'll see. Sometimes they do themes in the office. Last year it was minions and instead of being a yellow minion, I was a red Christmas Minion. Everyone thought I was crazy as usual, but I don't care. I had fun making my minion Santa hat!

23131917_2114698588757408_4212849284641824477_n.jpg

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minnie, love the hand sanitizers. I would imagine that the hand soaps would be wonderful.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Halloween is not something that we traditionally do here. I have noticed over the past few years it is becoming more popular.
Last year we had a few people knock on the door and I had nothing for them.
My question is, what do you give out? I am thinking the fun sized mars or snickers are suitable. Do you only give wrapped lollies?

I give out the fun size candy bars and sometimes I have lollipops too.