Halloween Block Party

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
I'm the only stay-at-home mom in my neighborhood and my neighbors asked me to plan a Halloween block party for this year. But as always, I'm on a tight budget. I'd love to hear some ideas from all you Boo Bash experts out there. It will be outside, so I was thinking s'mores around the firebowl. What else??? =) All ideas welcome!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Love the smores idea.

How about a scavenger hunt? We always had one at our block parties when I was growing up - it's a great way to get everyone working together in teams of all ages. You can have them look for Halloween or fall themed items.

Relay races...to build a scarecrow
Decorate pumpkins (with paint, craft supplies, etc...safer than carving)
Dunking for apples
Pie eating contest (pumpkin?)
A parade to see the costumes (with little prizes)
Do a pot luck buffet and give prizes for the "creepiest" dish, etc.

For little kids have sidewalk chalk, bubbles, etc. Pin the Hat on the witch (or tail on the cat...)

If you're going to play music, I can send you my Halloween playlist...I think there are 80+ songs on it.
Have some of the older kids teach the younger ones (and adults) how to dance to the Time Warp, Monster Mash, etc.

That's all I can think of. Family Fun always has a ton of great ideas...their halloween issue should be out soon, but check out some of the previous years' at the library.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Never been to a block party but sounds like fun. I know Sparklenana has been to some and has organized many! If you have crockpots, maybe chili? How about a potato bar (Pam can give you the specifics for this since I've never done one)? Pasta salad?

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I forgot one of my All Time favorites in the last post....a race to wrap each other up as mummies using toilet paper!

Please keep us posted and let us know what you decide to do!

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
I wish my neighbors would do something like this! Most of them cut their lights off on Halloween night. Two neighbors give to my kids before Trick or Treat time and then don't give to any others. My next door neighbors are yucky!!! and several more are older and are scared to let strangers come up so they lock up tight. I wish I lived closer to fun people like on this forum and the other 4 that I visit!!! Oh well, gotta teach the kids the proper ways to celebrate so as they get older, we can have loads of fun with our family!!! hopefully all my nieces will want to stay with me for holidays like this! I'm determined to be the "funnest" aunt and the one they all call for everything!

Good luck with your block party and I'll be thinking of some fun things to do.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
JeniferDwn points out that not all communities are like this. Does any one have suggestions about starting block parties when all the neighbors don't know each other? I'm sort of in that place right now.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I think a block party is a great idea! Wonder if I could manage to organzie one hmm

We have a typical small town, but do not really know our neighbours, even though we do wave ;)

We usually have great weather here on Halloween:pumpkin:

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
It took us a while to get to know our neighbors and even four years later, we only know 5 families. Most keep to themselves so we try to have fun with the people who want to. I was told that moving from the east to Ohio my neighbors would be at my door with pies, but that is not the case. We live in a pretty urban neighborhood (still in suburbs though) and my neighbors tease me because I'm the person showing up at doors with Christmas cookies, etc. They think it's hilarious and call me June Cleaver, even though I'm the youngest of the group. It eventually pays off to keep being friendly even when people look at you like you're crazy. We've made some great friends.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
To get it started, give every house on the block a flyer - make it colorful and fun and make sure it says BLOCK PARTY in big bold letters so that they're sure to read it before they throw it out....you may even want to include your street name, i.e., ELM ST. BLOCK PARTY! Then give a brief statement of what you're trying to do - " Come join your neighbors for some Halloween fun!" Then list some of your ideas as bullet points - suggest a date and give your phone number and email. Be sure to solicit help in forming a committee (or several).

A block party is a great way for all of your neighbors to get to know each other - especially since technically, no one is "hosting". They may feel more comfortable meeting in the "middle" i.e., out on the street. Plus, they have the added reassurance that they can escape home at any time! Each family should be responsible for something...a craft, game, etc. - this not only spreads the cost/tasks, but it also forces people to mingle from house to house. Take a poll as to how many would like to make the food Pot Luck/Buffet style vs. how many would rather just provide their own meal/snacks. You could also do it on the style of a Progressive Dinner...snacks at one house, beverages another, main meal (chili or burgers - something easy), desserts. Encourage everyone to invite friends also (again, this will make everyone more comfortable) Kids are great ice breakers themselves, so enlist their help...they'll drag the adults around exploring. Encourage everyone to decorate and to wear costumes -it's a party after all! Don't forget music! I guarantee everyone will end up dancing!

Keep in mind, if you intend to actually close the street, you will need a permit from the local police station and there may be a small fee. If not, have it on the front lawns, or sidewalks as the case may be.

HTH!

Last edited:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Colleen - Most excellent tips! Thank you very much!!!