Happy Canadian Thanksgiving

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I guess it must've started out like the one in the US, I really don't know. I know it is celebrated more in the english-speaking provinces. Mel & Nancy can attest to that. Here it just isn't important.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
It's not really like the US Thanksgiving - not a Pilgrim to be seen... think more along the lines of the European harvest festival; cornucopias, pumpkins, corn, wheat sheaves etc... a bountiful harvest.

It was previously celebrated on different days (first Thanksgiving was in 1578), but has been firmly set now on the second Monday in October since 1957.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It is interesting how Thanksgiving has become the "American" holiday when really has been around for all recorded time.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
It's also really common here for people to celebrate on Sunday instead of on the actual Thanksgiving Monday....actually most people I know have the turkey on Sunday instead to allow people to travel on the Monday. Lots of people I know end up having multiple dinners this way because you usually know someone having dinner on the Monday to who will inevitably invite you over if they find out you aren't having turkey!

I guess our thanksgiving is earlier because our harvest season tends to come a little earlier being further North.

DH wasn't feeling well for Thanksgiving, so it ended up just being us and the girls with a turkey we'd intended to feed another four people...............we're still eating turkey.