HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Well it's Turkey Day!!! :friendly: What's everyone doing today? I will go over my menu and double check my grocery list. Today on my lunchbreak I'm going to whisk over to the market in the shopping center behind my job and pick up a few items. They are having a great sale on baking supplies. I need to call my mom and a couple of other people to see exactly what they are going to make so that I can add them to my Potluck planner.

Have A Great Day!! :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Nothing here as i'm not cooking for Thanksgiving. :jack:

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I'm starting to plan my dinner.
I earned a free turkey from my local supermarket :friendly: (which I do every year!) but this year is different because of dietary changes for DH (health reasons) & some I imposed on myself (avoiding future health problems).
It's only the 6 of us for dinner but I have 2 kids(DD17 & DS9) who eat like they have hollow legs & a tape worm!!! ;) :shock: Then I have DD15 who is a quasi-vegetarian in a carnivorous house! And lets not forget DS1, this is his 1st Thanksgiving that he actually gets to eat real turkey, not baby food.

HAGD
Tina

P.S. any suggestions for incorporating greens into the dinner would be helpfull. Thanks!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Tina! A free turkey! You go, girl! That's great!

Well, since it's raining and i can't do much else outside, I'll work on Turkey Day after all. I need to finalize (again! LOL!) the menu and make meal assignments, and email invitations to extended family on DH's side. Also, make grocery lists-one for non perishables with a schedule for picking things up, and another for fresh/last minute stuff. Decide on tablescape and center pieces and plan shopping trips accordingly.

I'm also working on an article for my blogs and for this board!

I'm watching a rerun of a Frasier Thanksgiving episode and drinking good, rich, hot coffee. It's about 45 degrees, cloudy and about to rain..if I had some wood I'd build a fire in the fireplace! What a great day! (I know, I'm so weird! I'll bet several of you totally understand!!! LOL!)
:turkey:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
:friendly: Happy Turkey Day!!

Thanksgiving has come and gone here in Canada, but I enjoy reading about what everyone else is doing.

:turkey: Melanie

holly-ivy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
sunny California
How much fun - Turkey Day and Rudy Day together. Since my morning is already full, I'm going to divide the afternoon between the two. Need to rethink my Thanksgiving menu. DS and dil definitely not coming for Thanksgiving but other ds is bringing home a special friend for us to meet. Sounds like this could be the one for him! Going to explore the linen closet and select tablecloth for T. dinner and others for that weekend. Also need to check pantry and freezer to see what needs to be purchased for T. dinner.

:pilgrim:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Re: HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!! Pumpkin Upside-Down Cake Recipe

My turkey is in the crock-pot! Turkey with dry onion soup mix over it. I'm going to mix some fresh cranberries and orange marmalade together for a relish. Baked sweet potatoes and dip with raw carrots round out the meal. I baked some banana bread last night but from the looks of what's left there won't be any by dinner time. lol If I get up enough energy maybe I'll bake some cranberry bread or make Pumpkin Upside-Down Cake with Canberry Pecan topping. I didn't write down where I got this recipe from, probably someone here. Please let me know if it's your recipe so I can give you credit for this wonderful recipe.

Pumpkin upside-down cake with cranberry-pecan topping

8 ounces (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups cranberries
4 ounces (1 cup) coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
2 large eggs
1 cup pumpkin purée
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Chantilly cream (sweetened whipped cream)
Preheat the oven to 350°. Line the bottom of a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Pour the brown sugar mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the cranberries and pecans. Place them in the pan over the brown sugar mixture.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin purée and oil. In another bowl, sift together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture. Carefully spread the batter over the cranberry pecan topping.

Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Place a large plate or platter on top of the cake. Invert the cake and plate together, then remove the pan. Carefully peel off the parchment paper.Let cool completely before serving. Serve with Chantilly cream. Makes 8 to 10 servings. Note: This cake can be made a day in advance; wrap in plastic and store at room temperature

I'm going to call the local meat shop and find out when I can order my fresh turkey.

Then I am going to go through my list of ingredients and see what I can put on this week's shopping list.

I definitely will be revamping our Thanksgiving menu and making a few calls to other relatives for some help in the preparing of the meals!! Last year I made turkey, spiral ham, and my aunt made stuffed shells!! I am hoping that this year someone else makes the ham so I am not going back and forth between my house and my grandfathers house. That definitely tired me out last year. It is only about a mile away but having to check on both the ham and the turkey and then make all the sides and stuffing and gravy for over 30 people is just unnecessary for just ONE person to do. Not to mention all the desserts my aunt and I worked on (my grandmothers recipes-she passed away last May) so that everyone didn't feel a void without them. And then have family members leave BEFORE dessert was an eye opener for me. So this year there will be definite cutbacks!!!

For Rudy day portion of today I will also be considering the Christmas menu but won't finalize it until after Thanksgiving because I want to have a REAL idea on what everyone really enjoys out of the Christmas meal and then work it from that information. I have a five question survey that I will get everyone to fill out. Then I will incorporate everyone's answers in the recipe book of my grandmothers holiday recipes I am putting together.

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
:friendly: Happy Turkey Day Everyone! :friendly:

I have to work today (as I do almost all T-days) so I can't do a lot - but in between my clients I have been planning my cookie exchange. I am looking at different appetizers and beverages to have plus what type of games to play.

Tonight we are having turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing for dinner! Gobble Gobble! :turkey:

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Cathymac- I finally have chilly weather to use my fireplace!! We've been "collecting" firewood all summer. (lots of trees were taken down in our area). What is the link for your blog?

Ahorsesoul- make sure you put the recipe in the recipe archives, it looks DELISH!

I actually looked at the ingredients list on the box of Bells Poultry Seasoning & realized I have all but 2 ingredients. I'm going to get them & see if I can recreate it & save some money that way. (I use it all year round for different things) :friendly:

HAGD
Tina
:turkey: