Have any of you ever done this before?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Momof3inTN

MHH Member
Jun 29, 2008
Tennessee
The "roaming gnome" is too cute!

My oldest child participated in Flat Stanley when in first grade...though it was a girl version and she had the same name as my daughter. She traveled with us over summer break on vacation, celebrated birthday parties and pajama parties, and even traveled with my son while he was in the hospital! It was quite FUN! We had to capture each moment, so I helped her make her very first scrapbook.
::eek:rnament:

zchristy

Santa's Elves
We didn't have a Christmas "hot potato", but my family played a on-going game for years with a macrame owl at the lake. I was pretty young and one of the other cabin owners at the lake had a garage sale. My Dad and the other family's Dad were muttering under their breath about the horrid thing and I believe it was my Dad that bought it for a quarter and hung it on their cabin door late that night. For years it got passed back and forth and it got very creative, hanging it in various places inside and out of each others cabins when the others were gone. Once it was placed neatly between the sheets on my parents bed. ;) :nana:

It's been 20 years, but I recently got a note on facebook from the husband of the other family saying..that owl would surely turn up again. ;)

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My mom's best friend hate flamingos... My parents bought here a set of flamingos and put them in her backyard with a card and flamingo party napkins (and candles) on her dining room table. Now they have an ongoing game of who can leave either a tacky or creative gift at each other's homes-- usually in fun or unexpected places.

Sounds fun to me!

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
A 5yo family member did a version of the flat friend in her class. The teacher took a picture of each child in her class. Blew up the photo to abt 10 inches. She cut it out like a paperdoll and laminated it. Then the 5yo sent it to different family menbers & friends who lived far away. They were to take pictures of the doll "on vacation" and return it with the pictures. She ended up with some really cute pics.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Too funny, now I have to figure out what to take of my sister's! :santalol:

mummysnowflake2614

Retire Member
Jul 2, 2008
Nr Swansea in south wales, uk
HouseElf said:
Too funny, now I have to figure out what to take of my sister's! :santalol:

I was just thinking that - wonder if I would be able to suitably steal something of hers without her noticing. Thinking she has a teddy that shes had since she was born that sits on her bed and shes bound to notice that hes gone.

now i wonder what he could get up to??

Jack,
Be sure not to damage her teddy bear.....You would feel terrible if something happened to it. You could really have a lot of fun with it though....You could take it to a park, put it on a swing and take a picture then put a note with the picture and send it to her. The note could say how much fun the teddy was having compared to sitting on her bed. You could word it so it sounds really funny.

You will have a lot of fun doing it....you just have to keep a straight face when she asks you if you took it. Have fun!!!

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
Years ago, my dad bought a cord of wood from someone (we heated partly by wood back then) and in the woodpile was a rough carving of a person. Looked kind of like a gingerbread man. I was helping unload the wood and threw the carving in with the others. Dad said, "Hey, don't throw out my little man!" He propped it up next to the woodburning stove. Whenever someone would ask about it, he'd say "That's my little man."

A few years went by and my aunt decided to "steal" the little man and dress him up. She made him a little suit complete with top hat. She wrapped him up and put him under the Christmas tree with a tag From Santa. Dad hadn't even noticed it was missing.

Every year since then, during our Christmas gift exchange, Dad gets his little man back. So far it's been a hula dancer with grass skirt, a painter with white pants and a paint brush, a bride with wedding dress and veil. It's really funny! Every year, Dad tries to hide the little man after he opens it so it doesn't get "stolen" again. But by the end of the evening, he's forgot about it until he opens it next year. This has been going on at least 20 years now!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I read this a while ago and thought it was a great idea.
I've figured out what I'm going to do.
My current boss (it changes at the end of today) is retiring in November. She has this Elvis figure on a rope hanging at her desk.
I'll take Elvis' picture around the store, shop and yard with various employees and build a scrap book.
I'll have to kidnap him at one point to go to our Williston and Burlington stores and also our Ray Brook store and take pictures there. (During the phase where he's kidnapped, we'll all have to put our protective armour on as we'll hear plenty of yelling and cursing.)
Then one day, he'll arrive back in his spot at her desk safe and sound and we'll have this great scrap book prepared for her upon her retirement.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Did anyone see the story on CNN where someone did this with a garden gnome and now the police want to press charges? They returned the gnome with a photo album of everywhere he'd been. I only caught the end of the story, but I don't think the owner was too upset about it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This sounds like so much fun. I have someone in mind for something like the "towel of the month".

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
christmascreations said:
Lolwilas I would suggest waiting til the person goes on vacation before hijacking Elvis....lol

She retires in November. I doubt she'll take time off before then. She usually doesn't take all of her allowed vacation time. (Crazy woman!!!!) LOL

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Lolwlias, love your idea and this will be a cherished gift!!!
You could expand on it somewhat ( as if you need more to do..LOL) but "ransom" notes would be cute...something along with a picture of him tied up or something...and then the caption...: I tied up tight and all shook up!!! These could be e-mailed to her a couple of days or so...

A few years ago my DH and I did something similar to our son...we took his Chicago Bears Pull-a-Part doll while he was on vacation. The first picture was taken where the doll was on the bed, except the Green Bay Packers doll that my husband has was laying next to it...we then sent a ransom note (e-mail)saying that he was soo tired from listening to the GB guy talk about his team...so he was taking a short nap!! Being the rivals that they are...this didn't go over so big...however he saw the humor in it after a week. It was definately the talk of the family.

I hope this all works out for you...it will be so much fun...what a lovely memory she will have and you too for having made it for her. Good luck!!!
Linda