HELP!!! Both sides of parents are coming for Thanksgiving!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ok, so I am SUPER excited that my parents and my husbands parents are coming to stay with us during Thanksgiving. My mother in law has never been to our house and we have been in it for 3 years! (All our family lives 1000 miles away)

The help I need is from seasoned hostesses. Our house is rather small (1650 sq. feet). We have the sleeping arrangements made: his parents in our room and we will share our bathroom with them. My parents in the guest room and they will share our boys' bathroom. And us in the den.

However, what about during the day...we have a den, family room, large kitchen with seating that opens to the family room and a formal dining room.

How would you entertain them all through out the days? I am sure the ladies will go shopping a couple of times, and we can all be outside (although we really don't have a back yard...we can be in the front)

How would you plan meals? Etc. They get a long so that is no worry...although they've never stayed together for several nights!

Thanks in Advance!!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
How fun! First question that came to my mind is how long is everyone staying and are they coming in and leaving on the same days?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
For menu planning.. I'd say plan ahead. Determine how many breakfasts, lunch & suppers you need. Then think of what you'd like to serve for each. If the meal can be frozen ahead - the better.
Spaghetti sauce - for macaroni & lasagna
Breakfast sausages - cook & freeze
Chili
Chicken - cooked & cubed (to add to recipes)
Ham - cooked & cubed (again to add to recipes)
A few quick breads & some muffins
Pies made ahead & frozen
Roasts that can be added to the crockpot in the morning with potatoes & veggies so you can enjoy your days with the family.

For entertainement, I'm not as good.
How about having a few games out? a puzzle? cards? taking walks, visiting some local museum, ice skating (have no idea where you live & temps & if arena's are open in your area), how about making the ladies do some crafting (ex: christmas cards or ornaments?).

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
While I wait on that answer I'll throw my suggestions into the hat for meals.

Breakfast: Make it casual and eat when you'd like. Buy danish, bagels, oatmeal, coffee cake, fresh fruit, juices, yogurt, etc and let people eat what they want when they want it.

Lunch: Can you make a couple batches of soup in advance and put them in a crock pot so people can have something warm? Buy some sandwich fixings and possibly a side of potato salad or some chips/fruit/veggie platter and people can make their own again.

Dinner: I'm assuming one dinner will be T-Day dinner and the next day may possibly be leftovers or a turkey casserole or something.

If there are other nights to feed them will they eat pizza? You can buy the crusts in the store and make them yourself and serve with a big tossed salad. You also have the option of going out one night so no one has to cook. Spaghetti is another easy thing to make - add bread and a big salad as well.

Good luck!

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks ladies!

I like the soup idea for lunch and I love having games kind of out and waiting somewhere.

As far as for what days:

His parents are coming Wednesday through Saturday or Sunday

My parents are here from Thursday through Monday

So, there will be at least 3 full days of all togetherness! :)

One day we will be headed out to the country to see my MIL's cousin that lives down here who we have never met and she hasn't seen in quite a few years.

Like I said, the ladies will probably go shopping, so the men can do boy things...we have ponds in our neighborhood, so the could go fishing. They can go to the park and walking, etc.

We will probably do some big family walks...and I run a lot...so I will have an hour a day to myself!! HA...I will probably be really thankful ;-)

My biggest concern is I HATEEEE clutter and mess, and since our house is small I need to make sure it stays that way... BUT I don't want to be anal and not let everyone have a good time...that's why I am trying to get organized :)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
My suggestion is to keep all the non perishable items in baskets - the breakfast basket (muffins, paper plates, plastic flatware, etc.) and when breakfast is over, move that out and set out the lunch basket (breads, paper plates, etc.) That will keep some of the clutter contained.

But, for four days you can handle anything so if it piles up a bit laugh about it and enjoy the great company!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We tend to host both families a lot...until recently, we had the only grandchildren on both sides of the family! Generally, we (DH & I) prepare the main meal. Breakfast is very casual - bagels, etc. For lunch, I stock cold cuts, soups, different breads, etc. If the crowd is staying for several days, generally they take turns making dinner on the other nights. It has become like a game...they try to outdo each other - all in good fun.

As for entertainment/activities, we generally put together a "menu" of sorts which we share with everyone when they arrive. They can opt in and out as they wish or suggest alternative activities. For example, I keep a typed list of our holiday movies on hand in the TV room so that they can find their favorites. I ususally note big football games on the schedule as well (we have lots of sports fans) and instructions for working the TV and universal remote. We also keep a list of games, local events, the movie schedule for the local theater and maps of the closest mall and outlet stores. We usually play paddle tennis (outdoor winter sport) at some point as well, so I make sure to borrow extra paddles and stock up on balls.

We used to put up our tree on Thanksgiving weekend, but with a real tree we've decided that's too early. we might start some of the other decorating though &/or make ornaments, cookies, etc. Those are generally popular with the group.

At night we light a fire, play cards, do a puzzle, etc. I put out my holiday magazines and recent books (although now that I have a Kindle - there's less to share!) and extra throw blankets.

Keep in mind that they're coming to spend the holiday with you. The rest of the time is a bonus! I doubt they expect to be entertained 100% of the time. Don't stress! It will be wonderful just to be together!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Give each some disposable cameras to take photos while they are visiting. Then develop them to put into an album for their Christmas gift.

The best times I have had with family is when I have not scheduled things to do but just visit and go with the flow.

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
ahorsesoul- I love the idea of disposable cameras!

I would agree about making up several meals and freezing them asap. I would go a touch farther and say to buy the disposable pans and do them up in those so that you can simply toss them and not have those dirty dishes around.

I would try to plan a time when you can get a really nice group shot of the whole family together, generation pictures, just the guys, just the girls as you had mentioned they live a ways away and this doesn't happen very often. TAKE PICTURES