HELP...ideas needed for adopted family

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So I finally took a look at the list we got for our adopted family this year.

It is VERY basic.

Age, gender - that they need clothing in a certain size, shoes/boots and for the two youngest - "toys"

No notes on preferences, favorites, they like blue, nada.

Which of course probably means that they will be happy for anything we come up with but now I'm stressing.

What kind of toys do you get blindly for a 9 year old girl?

I have an 8 year old boy so that one is easier :)

There is a 14 yr old boy as well - but they only asked for clothes and shoes for him. Same for the 18 year old.

Any ideas you guys have would be SO VERY MUCH appreciated! Help me get out of my brain freeze here!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Fortnite seems to be the "in" thing right now, not sure if that applies to the 14 year old or not, but maybe. I'll ask my son when he gets home this afternoon and see if he has any suggestions for the 14 year old boy. As for the 9 year old girl, unicorns seem to be a big thing, fingerlings, craft kits...

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just a couple of guesses here, since mine is grown. And, not sure what you've budgeted. For all, any kind of fleece pullover or sweatshirt, mittens, hats scarves, that will help keep the chill out. For the girl, she's probably still young enough that she might enjoy a Barbie or similar, or a plush to snuggle with at night. Maybe a nice hairbrush, comb, and hand-held mirror set with headbands, and other hair items? For the boys, hand-held electronic games, or perhaps sports-related items? Maybe ear-buds or a portable speaker for the older one, or gift cards to fast-food establishments in your area? Gift cards for the grocery store for the adults would, I'd assume, be welcomed (or maybe a gift card for a meal out for the parent(s)?). Lots of stores put the fleece throws on special this time of year -- might also be good to consider.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
In the gift card department, perhaps movie tickets.

So wonderful that you are doing this. Gift receipts with all items would make exchanges easy for them if necessary.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I know a little girl who is around 9. She really enjoys writing in journals. Maybe a journal and some glittery pens for the little girl will be welcome.
I agree that anything that helps keep them warm would be good. Scarves, sox, mittens.
Maybe some school supplies. Snacks in lunch bags, pencils and stationary might be useful.
Not sure if a movie themed pack would be useful. You could pop in some popcorn, crisps, lollies and maybe a gift card to the movie theatre or a DVD.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Maybe a couple card/board games that all the kids an play together.
My kids loved the Spirograph desogn set and they love having their own throw blankets.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hmm... that's tough with not much to go on. Do you have any inkling as to how "in need" are they? Are we talking "they are broke and barefoot and just escaped with their lives from some incredible hardship" or they are just strapped for cash this and needing some extra help to make the holidays a bit brighter? Not know which, here are some ideas for you:

Not clear on the ages... so a 9-yr old girl, and 2 boys: 14&18? Did you say there are younger boys? (If so: 12 an under boys = Nerf guns.)

9 year old girl: Polly Pockets (even if she already has some, more is always better!) Also agree on the journals -- something to decorate. Glittery. If boots -- Ugg Style. Soft fuzzy clothes. Leggings.

14-Yr-old Boy: No toys I'm thinking. Steam Gift Card if you can find out if they have access to computers (Gamestop will have tons of suggestions), clothes from AE (or in that style) or anything with a sports logo like Nike & Adidas. Hoodies.

18-Yr-Old - Same for the clothing. Nike & Adidas. Hoodies. iTunes gift card.

Overall this list would be different if you find out they are more from the "broke and barefoot" side of things: If you want to go all clothes then anything soft and fuzzy -- that material is all the rage right now with my kids. I agree, that fuzzy throw blankets are great for all ages both my teen boy and teen girls love these. (So something to snuggle in, something to wear, something to play with...).