Help Me Illuminate My Outdoor Halloween Party with NO Electricity!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
So, while originally planning our Halloween party and after sending out invites, my HOA decides I can not block off part of the street in front of our house. (We have VERY small yards...almost nonexistant)

Not to worry, we just moved the party to the small park right behind our house (only maybe 300 feet away!) However, there is no electricity and our party isn't starting until 5 which means it will almost be dark!

There are two light polls pretty close to where the shelter is (which will be our home base), but I am looking for more ideas that will allow us to still play games.

I am thinking of trying to find some tiki torches...do you think places like Home Depot or Lowes will still have them?

What else do you all suggest? Thanks SOOO much in advance for your wonderful ideas!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
You could do luminaries. You just take pails full of sand and put a candle in them. The sand weighs them down so they don't blow away. Or they do sell Halloween paper bag ones as well and you just put a candle in. You could line them up along the walkways. Many places probably still have tiki torches and they should be on sale. You could also use battery operated lanterns hung on posts or from trees.

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
You could get some of those flameless battery candles and set them around. Glowsticks maybe. Battery lanterns. If you have a bit more to spend you could get some solar spikes that the garden and home stores have-like 6 of them for around $40 if they're on sale.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
The glow sticks would be really cool. Check your local party store or dollar store if you have one. Everyone can wear them. Tiki torches and luminarias are great ideas too.

You could also try batttery operated or Kerosene (sp?) laterns like they use at camping grounds. They will give off a lot of light. Do you know anyone who has a portable fire pit?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
The camping laterns would give off bright light. If you want scarier light, go with the luminaries, tiki torches and glow sticks. That would be fun!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I LOVE the fire pit idea - you could then roast marshmallows! If you have canning jars or a variety of any type of jar you can put candles in those as well.

I'm not sure where you live, but if your area has been particularly dry I would be sure to check and see if there are any bans on open flames so you don't get socked with a fine.

Keep us posted on what you have decided to do!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
The glow sticks are a great idea...Target Dollar Spot currently has cans of glow bracelets and necklaces for $1 and $2.50 repectively. These would be great for the kids...no chance of losing them in the dark! ;)

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
I knew you ladies would have FABULOUS ideas ;-)

I think the firepit is out, but I am going to do candles and jack o lanterns. I think I will do the glow bracelets/necklaces as well.

I will have to ask some friends who camp if they have a lantern...that's a great idea!

I went by the park in the dark last night, and I think with the things mentioned above we will be golden!

I was also monitering the sun on my run last night, and it wasn't black until a little after 7. So that's two full hours of party before it's even dark. I didn't put a cut off time, but I am sure most will be gone around 8-9.

Thanks again!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Goodluck HolidayMama!

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
I think I have it all figured out!

I bought 3 large lanterns at Ikea this weekend for the main tables under the shelter (happens to be right in the middle of the light posts so it is the darkest area.

I also bought tapers for each of the picnic tables, so there will be a grouping of candles on each table.

I have two more lanterns in my house on my mantel that I am going to drag over as well.

I think we will have enough light for the couple of dark hours!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Sounds like a great plan! Please excuse my safety first mentality but I could not live with myself if I did not make the recommendation to bring a fire extinguisher for the just in cases!