Help needed with my Turkey

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

NoTime

Retire Member
Oct 28, 2007
I am cooking a turkey today and it is not completely thawed. I am wondering can I still cook it anyway or does it have to be completely thawed? The giblets and stuff can't come out yet so I was thinking I would cook it for awhile and then once I can remove it I will, and then stuff it. Has anyone done this before? I'm in a panic....thanks :happynewyear: :happynewyear:

pattycakes

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
shutterbugsmd.blogspot.com
Start a cold water bath--fill the sink and place the turkey in. Change the water every 30 minutes. Hopefully this will thaw it enough that you can remove the giblets package and get him in the oven!

My first turkey I forgot to remove the giblets package and it cooked right along with the bird :turkey: --nothing happened, but I didn't use the contents, anyway! I wouldn't recommend baking the bird frozen and then trying to remove the bag--it will be very hot inside! And the bird will take so much longer to bake if it's frozen and you run the risk of it not cooking all the way.

Good luck!!!!

NoTime

Retire Member
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks Pattycakes -- I ended up surfing the net and found out it is okay to cook it frozen but to make sure it is cooked longer. It also said the giblet bag can be cooked inside as long as it is in a bag so hopefully everything works out okay. I always through it out. I have cooked many turkeys before and of course the one time I invite people over this has to happen. :heartsNY: