Help please

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

mommyby3

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2007
Beautiful North Carolina
I'm not sure if this is the place for this or not.
But here goes.

I have 3 children ages 10, soon to be 8, and 7.All still belive in Santa.
My husband of 10 years is no longer here ( long story).He has been "away" for about 2 weeks. The kids seem to be doing OK, but one of my concerns is when christmas gets here.

This is our favorite time of the year and they know how much we loved to be together as a family doing things that we've done for years.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep their spirts up and not let them get depressed during the holiday season?

I know the season is going to be rough on me too, but I'm more worried about them.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Denise, i would just be there for your kids and do as much of your normal holiday routine as you can, just without your husband. Kids are very adaptable so just do what you can.

Debbieoz

Retire Member
May 21, 2008
Rural Kansas
What about special letters from Santa and his elves? Maybe one from the great pumpkin and Tom the turkey too. Remember to take care of yourself too. Kids are really cool. As long as you are doing ok, they will do ok. Hugs to you and your family.

strosiek

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Cape Coral Florida
I can understand your worries as a mom but as a child of divorce the worst was the holidays. Our "routine" was disrupted by arguing about who we would be with. The very best thing you can do for your children is to never, ever say anything bad about their dad in front of them. Whatever he does wrong the kids will realize it without help. As far as the holidays, see if there is some new tradition they would like to start. Some of my greatest memories are the out of the box ideas we came up with. Maybe collect food for operation turkey or another food drive for your area. Enjoy your time with them and let them feel the way they do at the time. My prayers are with you. It is very hard, but the children can see that you care (They don't always show their appreciation) It will probably be a long time before they realize all the sacrifices you made for them but it will work out in the end. Just take one day at a time and if the day seems too long go to hour by hour. Wishing you the best. Sharon

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
During my divorce to first husband.. I redirected my sons with simple tasks to think of other people and how their lives might be "harder" than theirs during the holidays. My ex was an idiot and caused extra pain to them just to get back at me, so it got to be a huge job each holiday.
One year we did a food drive by buying one boxed item every week from Halloween to December 15th to give the local food shelf. We had a lot of boxes to deliver then and it was a huge production for the boys.
Another year after their grandfather had passed away (yes..my ex's family) their Grandmother was having a hard time so we "pretended" to be Santa for her. I borrowed a huge pair of winter boots and my oldest son wore them to walk across her front yard. I purchased a stocking which we filled with personal goodies and my son hung it on her doorknob for her to find the next morning. She was confused as to who had delivered it because there were huge footprints in the snow, and my sons never told her.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
wadeallie~what wonderful lessons you have taught your sons! The one about their Grandma brought tears to my eyes. I may try this with my grandson. He has a very loving heart. Blessings to you!!

:bigsnow: