Help

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
A friend and I were talking at lunch today and rather than do a cookie exchange with just a few close friends. our schedules are getting so busy that an open house was the best way to go. I decided to have an open house on Dec 14. Please help with simple ideas. I could have as many as 30 people come through my apartment that day.
It would involve my SS class, close friends and a few others from church., I need ideas for refreshments, place settings and a theme.
TFS :skate: :sleigh:

snowangel00

Santa's Elves
Oct 9, 2007
Winter Wonderland
While this sounds like quite an undertaking - I think it's totally doable and will be a lot of fun!

Just a few ideas bouncing around my tired mind! :)

1. Perhaps everyone could bring a small toy that you could collect and then take to a children's hospital or donate to an organization.

2. I love snowmen, so I think a snowman theme would be a lot of fun. That is the theme for my cookie exchange. I plan on making a snowman cheese spread, hot chocolate with marshmallows (snowman poop), snowman shaped cookies, etc. Each person will receive a take home kit for hot chocolate with marshmallows.

3. Cut out paper snowflakes with a center large enough to write on. Each person in attendance can write down a prayer or a praise. Hang these snowflakes on a tree in your home for the rest of the season. Or, if you're having your SS class over, perhaps you could hang or arrange the snowflakes in your church so that others can participate and even read what others have wrote.

Sorry - this is all my poor brain can think of at midnight! :) I'll keep thinking on this though.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I love, love, love, the snowman idea. I also love snowmen and that would be very doable. Your snowman spread sounds interesting. Is it posted in the recipes? I also like the idea of bringing a toy for the shelter.
I can see using snowflake plates and cups. These are super ideas. :bigsnow: :snowman: :snow: Thanks

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Wow, Snow!! That sounds wonderful!! I love the snowflake idea...that might be a wonderful idea for my Sunday School class. I was thinking about putting a tree in my classroom...that would be so fun!! Thanks!!!

Coffeenut-I'm guessing you want finger food, etc? I love all of Snow's ideas...let me think about it a few minutes and I'll check some of my notes and see what I can come up with.

One thing that comes to mind is the blt dip that I do for our family gatherings. Sandra Lee did a similar recipe and used a head of iceburg lettuce, with the core cut out to make an hollow area, and served it in it. I think on a silver tray with some grape or cherry tomatoes sprinkled around...it would be so festive!! Or you could use red peppers...let me muse a little longer and I'll see if I can come up with some other ideas.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
Yes, I am thinking finger foods, and I had already thought about trying the BLT and cranberry dips. I also have thought about sweet and sour meatballs, or chili. Something that I could put in the crockpot and leave.
I had also thought about borrowing snowman dishes.
The hours would be from 1:00 PM to about 6:00 Pm.
:bigsnow:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Marge, you might borrow some of Ginger's ideas for her Winter Wonderland theme brunch...it sounds so pretty and festive. I think it would lend itself well to an open house. Do you have any of the Gooseberry Patch books? They have great recipes for almost any type party you care to host. Here's some thoughts:

*cranberry spread and crackers and/or gingersnaps
*BLT dip with crackers, chips and/or French or sourdough bread cubes
*cheese dip and tortilla chips
*Parkerhouse rolls with slices of deli ham or turkey (very thin) with small bowls of mayo and mustard
*mini quiches (make them in a small muffin tin and use the small paper liners-very festive and portable)
*small cups (demitasse cups or just small tea cups or even disposables) of a creamy, warm soup-potato, broccoli cheddar or tomato bisque)
*a punchbowl with a pretty punch and an ice ring-make it using the punch and some fruit and it won't dilute your punc
*a crockpot with warm apple cider or Christmas tea

If you wanted to do a small favor, you might think about simple glass balls in your theme colors and use a paint pen to write "Merry Christmas 07" or whatever you want. You can pick those up at Wal-Mart for about $2.00 per box, with 10-14 per box, depending on the size of the ornaments. You could tie a thin satin ribbon on the hanger to dress it up a little, if you want it a bit dressier.

The paper products they make these days are so pretty, you could match just about any decor and theme with them.

I wish I could be there! I know it's going to be wonderful, whatever you decide!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Oh, I forgot to mention the sweets-
Use a large pillar candle (the 4-5 wick kind) in the center of the table and arrange Christmas cookies (homemade or purchased) around the candle like a wreath. Just lay the cookies right on the tablecloth. It looks so pretty! You could use a hurricane globe, or a flower arrangement or whatever you want in the center.

Also, brownie bites are always good-again, just brownies made in a mini muffin pan.

Cheesecake bites are good-Wal-Mart has them in the bakery. Very good and could be dressed up with some cherry pie filling or strawberry syrup or chocolate syrup.

Sheet cake is always good for a crowd, and goes a long way.

That's it for now!

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
MAybe Christmas crackers as a favor or make your own with t.paper tubes and put candy inside as the surprise. IT might also be fun to have a guest book for people to sign and maybe write their New Year's Resolution or Christmas Wish. It might be interesting to read them again next year with the same group of close friends.

If you have a chandelier of any type you could hang lightweight ornaments from it. I would check the Dollar Stores before I set out to cutting up paper snowflakes. You can buy a lot of good looking icicles and snowflake type ornaments for little money and they might make a prettier decoration.

Cathy's menu sounds great, too.