HGP 2019 - Attic

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: ATTIC

The attic works the same every other room does, except it's probably got mostly stored boxed and old clothes.

Remember what our motto has been?

If you haven't worn it in the last year, and you can't figure when you'll wear it in the next year, get rid of it!

(Donate it somewhere, or throw it out if it's not in good shape.) This can really make a big dent in the storage facilities

And don't get caught with "well, Johnny can wear this when he's 14." Let's be honest, how many kids really want to wear hand-me-downs that are way out of style?

We must swallow our pride (if my daughter doesn't want to wear my wedding gown when she's old enough, I guess I won't get upset!) and get rid of what truly we won't use, and will have no value later on.

(But not that wedding gown! I can't part with that!)

Everyone will have treasures that you can't part with, and that is fine, but set a limit.

As for those boxes, bring a few downstairs and work on them in front of the TV, or at the bottom of the stairs.

The old "can't go to bed cause I can't get past these boxes yet" works nicely here.

Or do it while the kids are at school if you are able.

Once again. ask yourself if you will really use the item again.

If the answer is no, and the item has no sentimental value worth passing to the next generation (and collecting dust!) then donate it to somewhere that might really appreciate it.

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Make place cards.
  • Make 3x5 card for each serving dish, list what goes in it, garnish, how much before dinner can it go in and serving silverware used with it; tape it to edge of dish.
  • Be sure all dishes are clean!
  • Borrow or buy any additional serving dishes needed.
  • Are linens clean and ready? Unfold and verify that all spots can be hidden by centerpiece.
  • Buy reusable foil bakeware from party paper place.
  • Work on centerpiece.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Attic week! This is the week on the plan where I am usually (ok, almost ALWAYS) to the point where I just know I am not going to get my whole list done and I go into "Make or Break" mode :rolleyes:

I can report that I did get entryway done finally, complete with new rug and boot trays, etc.

And I washed the kitchen floor, fronts of cabinets, cleaned appliance fronts and door glass, etc.

I reorganized all the canned goods in the pantry.

Need to review my remaining tasks and decide what - if anything - absolutely has to happen before our party on 12/7...

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Finished in the pantry - there was a lot collected on the floor and just out of order on the one end still - all better now!

Also got the upright freezer organized finally!

Hosting a Thanksgiving event - unexpectedly - for my work team THIS FRIDAY - so glad I've been doing HGP - even catch as catch can - makes it easier to have people over on short notice!

Reactions: luludou