HGP 2019 - Dining Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: DINING ROOM
Using the basic plan, take everything off the windows and clean them.

Take everything off the walls and clean items and wall.

Empty all drawers, shelves, ledges, etc. Clean items, but don't replace-- YET.

Using the philosophy from the "It's Here Somewhere" decide what you want to use this area for: eating, entertaining, playing games, alternative office space, etc.

Then place only those items related to those uses back into drawers, shelves, whatever.

Declutter! Use the 4 box method, place everything that isn't useable in this room into the appropriate box. trash, Goodwill, someplace else or storage.

Streamline down to what you will actually use in this room.

Remove all furniture, and clean the floors and baseboards.

As furniture is replaced, clean each piece with appropriate cleaner/wax. Check chair/table legs to see if they need new protective caps.

Re hang pictures. on the wall -- only try using only half of them. Then add more only if you can't stand the empty look.

According to the "Law of Household Reduction", when you decrease the number of things, you expand your space visually as well as physically.

Add a new arrangement or fresh flowers and plan to invite company for dinner!

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Deadline Week: If homemade gifts are not done, put them away. After Thanksgiving weekend and go buy something. This is not a contest, this is life.
  • Get everything out for Thanksgiving Dinner and prepare everything that can be done ahead of time. Make sure enough dishes are available.
  • Stock bathrooms and first aid kit.
  • Wednesday: Use one of the Freezer Meals, buy a salad at the store.
  • Friday or Saturday: Have children make/set up Advent Calendar.
  • Set up the Creche area and add figures each day as we read from an Advent book. Continue until Jan. 6 when the wise men come.
  • Let kids get out and inspect Christmas decorations; test tree and other lights, replace bulbs.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am off from work this week and plan on using today and tomorrow to clean the house. First room this morning is the dinning room and foyer. Really got to tackle the windows as the dog loves putting her nose up against the glass LOL

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I will be home Wed - Sunday so should be able to finish up various cleaning tasks - DS was sick last week so I did a lot of cleaning - DH is now getting sick so more cleaning/disinfecting to come! UGH!

Right now everything is torn apart due to getting out Christmas decor and putting away Fall. I'm telling myself there is no rush - I have until Dec 6th to get it all done. Not that it will take that long - HOPEFULLY!

I have tree "up" but still needs to be fluffed, filler branches and lights added, etc.

Long high shelf in living room is done, big wreath hung in the high window - and wreaths out on the front porch. Plenty left to do!

Christmas cards are ready - down to stamps on - for slipping in Christmas photo of DS and the dogs this year. Hoping to take that this weekend after the tree is done!

Gifts to ship are ready - labels written out even! - just need to fill cookie tins right before I plan to ship!

I've been working on gift baskets for various people as well - making DIY mixes, making labels to go on them, shopping for basket items, etc.

I've got Pajama Elves box ready to assemble - once his new Christmas PJs finally arrive - they were supposed to be here Saturday :(

I got the ingredients to make another lasagna for the freezer - will give to BIL and his new wife as their "gift" this year - by their request! I got the stuff to make cheesy garlic bread for the freezer for them as well. Hope to get started on that tonight!

I've been adding to the freezers as well, and moved a bunch of extra baking supplies from upstairs fridge to bar fridge downstairs to make room.

I got dog bowls/stands cleaned the other day - always a fun job and a little detail that gets easily overlooked before having company.

Fingers crossed and crossed again I don't get sick!!!

I'm just praying DH is better in time for Thanksgiving!!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Oh No AJ .. Hope your DH recovers quickly and hope even more that you don't catch it.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Got most of the 1st floor done yesterday. Still have to finish decluttering the kitchen island, clean 2 windows and steam mop the floors.

Need to do later today once I finish downstairs: vacuum steps and upstairs hallway. clean kids bathroom and master bathroom. Do 2 loads of laundry.

tonight: make pie crusts (baking pies tomorrow), roast garlic in oil, use oil in pizza dough and will use the garlic in pepperoni bread that I will make tomorrow.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This room is done now and ready for some Christmas decorating.