HGP 2019 - Kitchen

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: KITCHEN

Kitchen Closets: Empty them!

Pull everything out. Use trash bags, boxes, etc to sort and redistribute your items.

Remember - places would love donations of kitchen items. If you have not used something in a few months, chances are you just will not use it so donate it.

Kill the clutter!

Kitchen Cabinets: Tackle one by one if the job seems overwhelming.

Start above counters, on one side of the room and work in one direction & when done, tackle cabinets below the counter.

Save the under-sink area for last, for me it was the hardest.

Check any open boxes for bugs.

Don't forget to wipe down empty shelves, re-line (if necessary).

If you store medicines in the cabinets, check expiration dates. Verify prescription items with your pharmacist.

Throw out medicines that "didn't work", expired or tasted so horrible you won't use them, etc.

Don't forget to empty drawers, clean inside, then replace items.

Get rid of duplicate items (utensils) if you can.

Get Rid Of:
  • Old, currently unused cleaners
  • Cans & Bottles of food over 6 months old unless there is a later expiration date
  • Old cracker/cookie boxes probably stale
  • Pans & pots that you don't use, have duplicates of, are in horrible shape, etc
  • Extra serving dishes (store them elsewhere unless you have lots of room) until needed. Donate if you have not used them in the past six months
Clean all appliances inside and out (refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker--use vinegar once through, followed by several rounds of water-- stove vent, etc.)

Sink: Use a toothbrush to get rid of gritty dirt at faucet. Clean drains, disposal, etc Use favorite cleaner to make "shine".

Pantry: Use same method as for the cabinets. don't forget to wipe down while empty. Try to combine duplicate boxes of things to throw out that which you haven't and probably won't use.

When this is done, you will probably want to dust any appropriate items, vacuum from ceiling to floor, including vents/ a/c ducts, clean any windows, and sweep & wash the kitchen floor (I always do that last!)

As far as I'm concerned this is probably one of the hardest rooms in the house. If you have tile on your counters or table, this is a good time to spray them down and clean and reseal the grout.

Be ruthless! Go through every drawer, cabinet, counter. Did you take time to do all that work and sell yourself short? Did your Mama tell you a job worth doing is worth doing well??? Well go ahead and "git": make that kitchen shine. Go through the spices and the cookbooks again. I know there are things you still really need to do.

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
Checkpoint Week! Evaluate Your Progress:
  • If unable to find an item for a person on list contact them or their family for ideas.
  • If a homemade gift is not going well, set it aside for after Christmas and decide on another gift.
  • Buy pumpkin for Halloween.
  • Review costume plans with children.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am skipping the kitchen this week in exchange for the craft room. I plan to empty the entire room take down the light panels of the drop ceiling (to clean them) and replace a couple of damaged tiles. (This will take another long awaited project off the list. That then will leave me with finishing the laundry room and the kitchen tweaks I need to do.
I was thinking of painting the inside of the kitchen cabinets with chalk paint. They have had stickers removed from them that the previous owner put on plus paint drips from when DH painted the tops. Any opinions about this idea appreciated.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am not officially working on the kitchen this week due to camping prep - but have squeezed in HGP'ing a few more drawers and I'm eyeballing the cabinet with drinking glasses :) Will do that one if I can before we leave for campground!

Holiday goodies into the freezer has been checked off my list for the week! Ordered some gifts too!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I got another project off the list.!!! The craft room is cleaned but still need to take time to put things away. I will do that on Wednesday as tomorrow I volunteer in my teacher friend's classroom. I am pleased.

Reactions: AuntJamelle