HGP 2020 - Entryway/Foyer

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Welcome to Week Three of the Holiday Grand Plan!

This week, we tackle deep-cleaning and decluttering our entryway or foyer, to create a welcoming entrance to the home for holiday guests.

Holiday prep chores focus on baking and kitchen as we plan our baked goodies and start stocking up for holiday meals. More printable forms help our Holiday Grand Plan notebooks grow.
Ready? Let's get organized with Entry/Foyer Week at the Holiday Grand Plan.

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area or storage place to put these in so that they are not used in everyday cooking - make sure to label them so that when food drives start your holiday supply stays intact and the food drive gets the food purchased for it.
  • Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.
  • Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note.
CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: ENTRYWAY/FOYER

This week's assignment, from Katie Leckey's Cleaning Grand Plan:
Use the basic remove/clean/replace policy for those items which are wall-hung.
Consider how the area looks when a visitor enters your home. Again if it doesn't belong there, remove it!
If you have a chair or rack that welcomes clutter, consider moving it until everyone breaks the habit of just dropping everything off in the foyer.
The next time you enter the front door after being away a few hours, look around and sniff around just like you were in a strange house. Our homes can develop "houseatosis". There are a great many air freshener products and potpourri assortments on the market today, use one if you need it!!
Don't forget to clean out the umbrella stand, if you have one. If you don't, do you need one?
Do you have a rug or maybe carpeting in this area? Do a thorough job of vacuuming it. you'll be pleased.
Do you have a window in your front door, or "side lights" which could use bit of glass cleaner?
Don't forget to thoroughly dust/wash front door itself, and also the baseboards in the area.
Plan a place for everything which needs to be kept near the front door and keep it there! Everything else goes!
Now, do you need to go back and spend time on last week's project? If not, could you choose another declutter project that would enhance the beauty of your home?
Choose something close to the entry or living room to help give that feeling of flow between organized rooms.
Like smiles and yawns, organization is contagious!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Entry way is done. I have a very small entrance that houses a free standing cupboard that I store all of my candles in. The floors in here are tiled. It literally took 2 hours to do the whole entry way. Looks pretty good.
I would like to add a new rug to this area if I could find one that I like, if not I am fine without.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I add the downstairs bathroom to this week's cleaning goals since the entryway usually goes quickly!

• Entry
    • Dust for cobwebs in ceiling corners
    • Dust light fixture
    • Wipe down/Polish inside of door
    • Magic Eraser walls as needed/Touch up paint (make sure to use flat or glossy as appropriate)
    • Clean light switches, vent covers
    • Wipe down outside of bench/Trim on red bench
    • Wash tile floor
    • Scrub down boot trays outside on deck - dry and put in place under benches
  • Downstairs Bath
    • Dust ceiling for cobwebs
    • Windex mirror
    • Clean sink and toilet as usual
    • Shine fixtures
    • Vacuum tile
    • Move more towels into closet, straighten closet contents
    • Dust panels inset into doors, spot clean doors as necessary

Holiday Prep:

• Make at least two freezer meals or meal components
  • Buy extra grocery items from non-perishable part of Master Grocery List
  • Buy at least 1 stocking stuffer
  • Decorate for fall - DONE last week
  • Craft
    • Christmas Gifts - In Progress

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i dont have a foyer you come into my living room when you open the front door.- hardly ever used bc we park in the back come into the kitchen. we live on a corner lot. front porch is done.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Good morning, all! Like Katrina, I have a small entry-way and foyer, so my list for this week is fairly small.
  • Clean inside sidelights and transom window (I have a pup and there are always nose prints on the sidelight windows) -- DONE
  • Wash floor and baseboards -- DONE
  • Wash rug -- DONE
  • Clean and organize bench bins
    • -- check mittens, hats, and scarves -- DONE
    • -- check fabric for bench cover (I swap out bench cover for the Christmas holidays) -- ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
    • -- add potting soil and moss to planters holding peace lily plants -- ADD TO SHOPPING LIST (thought I had some; it had disintegrated so badly that I tossed it)
  • Vacuum stairs / baseboards -- DONE
Carry-over from last week:
  • Living room windows
  • Organize serving pieces in buffet
I also need to find/order some autumn potpourri. I'm planning on going to an arts and crafts market next weekend and can hopefully find some there. If not, Amazon here I come! -- DONE. Went to stow some things in the coat closet and whoa and behold, there was a partial bag left over from last Fall.

Have a great day!

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Finishing up in my office vacuum and windows and then will head to the living room. I would like to rearrange the furniture but DH likes it as it is soooo....he lives here to and I need to respect his aesthetic too. I want to cozy it up and plan where the trees will go as I rearrange so it doesn't have to be done twice. There are lots of baby steps being taken here but it does get done. My entry is directly attached to living room so will begin the entire area today. I still have the paint out so may as well paint the inside of the closet. The one I painted this week end looks so very very nice. I will have DH remove the bi-fold door sit I have better access. It get so messy during the cleaning but so nice after its done. I am glad the TV is not in this room right now that way I can keep DH out of my way. He told me to say "Hover" if I think he is nosing in on my business. I wonder how many times I will have to say that? Lol.
Well nothing is getting done if I am here. I have today and tomorrow to get it all done. Hope for the best.

Last edited:
  • Haha

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Entry
  • Dust for cobwebs in ceiling corners - DONE
  • Dust light fixture- DONE
  • Wipe down/Polish inside of door- DONE
  • Magic Eraser walls as needed/Touch up paint (make sure to use flat or glossy as appropriate)- DONE
  • Clean light switches, vent covers- DONE
  • Wipe down outside of bench/Trim on red bench- DONE
  • Wash tile floor- DONE
  • Scrub down boot trays outside on deck - dry and put in place under benches- DONE
Everything looks so nice!!!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have been working the plan that includes both the living room and entry. I painted the coat closet yesterday and today I have been working on the rest. I have a few small things left to do then I want to try and decorate the stair rails, a black ugly wrought iron pattern so I want to hide it with garlands of evergreens, leaves and pumpkins. I would like to get a new floor rug for the living room but decided to wait until I have a met the financial goal we set. We should meet that goal by Spring 2021.