HGP 2020 - Family Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Moving into the heart of the household, it's Family Room Week Holiday Grand Plan!

The family room is the heart of the home, and never more so than during the holiday season. We'll clean and organize this central area of family life as we begin to think ahead to holiday visitors.

In holiday prep, we'll celebrate Halloween, then recycle autumn decorations to look forward to Thanksgiving. Keep working on those gifts!

HOLIDAY PREP​

• Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Take down Halloween decorations. Put up Thanksgiving ones.
  • Polish silver; clean glassware (baking soda & water). Put candleholders in freezer to help remove wax. Alcohol removes stains from candles.
  • DO NOT shampoo carpet - partying people spill things.
  • Clean/clear library/front hall closet so there will be room for guests' coats. Give unwanted coats to charity. Store other stuff in attic in empty luggage.

CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: FAMILY ROOM​

This week's assignment, from Katie Leckey's Cleaning Grand Plan:
Since the Family Room is much like the Living Room, consult the notes from that week as well, to be sure we haven't missed anything! Here goes!
Start by washing the outside of your windows.
Take everything down off the walls, take down curtains etc. Wash, vacuum or dry clean as needed.
Sweep ceiling corners and other nooks in the room - tops of doorways, windows, arches, bookcases, etc.
Wash inside of windows and sills. Polish and touch-up stain on wood
Re-hang window coverings.
Take cushions off furniture, vacuum thoroughly. Vacuum cushions, checking for wear and turning as needed. Spot treat any stains or shampoo furniture as needed.
Wooden furniture and anything with drawers: Empty, sort, and throw away what you don't really need. Put the rest where it really belongs. Dust/Polish the piece you're finished with, repeat as necessary. Do shelves the same way
Baseboards - dust or wash as needed touch up scuffs on wood or touch up paint on painted surfaces.
Clean the TV screen. Dig out and sort all the accumulated electronic equipment--games, tapes, camera parts, wires, connectors, etc. Put everything where it belongs and get rid of the rest. (I stash things for a few months in the attic and if they don't miss it then I can dispose of it as I please!) If something doesn't work, take action--if it is worth getting fixed then decide when it can be done. Otherwise just liquidate it now.
Vacuum the entire room. Use a whisk broom to get into those hard to reach areas and around the baseboards if your vacuum doesn't clean close enough. Yes, get help and move the furniture. There may be a wealth of lost treasures hiding under the sofa right now!
Clean/change silk flower arrangements for the season. It is also a good time to clean, trim, and/or repot live plants. They can't absorb CO2 and light through a layer of dust!
Other items needing attention if you have them are:
  • Fireplace/mantel/chimney/glass doors
  • Lamps - cleaning and/or replacing shade/bulb/wiring
  • Light switches (clean)
Mirrors and anything framed under glass clean it.
Door handles--and the area around them-- if you have little sticky fingers be sure to get the area below them clean too with an appropriate cleaner.
Polish the wooden doors and retouch scuffs.
Clean shake/wash/vacuum/take to professional-- any area rugs.
Now is a good time to reorganize the video tapes and CDs, cassettes etc. If you have not viewed or listened to them in a while, donate or take to a consignment shop or a second hand music store and swap.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Given the good weather that is predicted for this week (dry, sunny, and temps in the mid-60s), I'm swapping Garage Week for the Family Room. My 2-car attached garage has been quickly becoming a 1-car, and that needs to end. And, next week is supposed to have some colder temps and rain, so I'll want to be inside. On my to-do list:
  • Sweep the entire garage, removing cobwebs from the door sensors. -- DONE
  • Wash garage windows inside and out. -- DONE
  • Stow all items in their appropriate areas, with like items. Create a "boat storage" area for items that were brought home from the Dock boxes (I did not launch this year and rented my space, so everything, every little thing, had to come home) and stow all boat-related items, cleaners, etc. together. -- DONE
  • Store all patio furniture, cushions, and chair covers for the winter. Remove planters, pull / trim back plantings, and store for the winter. -- DONE
  • Pull bins of holiday items for easy access after Thanksgiving.
  • Arrange for installation of ladder racks and bicycle storage rack.
  • Call to schedule bicycle for maintenance and repairs and, if possible, take bike in to the shop. -- DONE (called); DO in early SPRING
  • Check ice melt supply, make sure shovel is accessible. -- DONE (added ice melt to my list; not yet available in area hardware stores)
  • Check quality / dates on beverages that are stowed in garage area; discard those that have lost their fizz and determine supplies and mixers needed for the holidays. -- DONE

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
The carpet will be installed in the Family Room tomorrow - does that count? lol Have been continuing to work on sanding, staining and painting. Final paint touch ups to walls tonight plus touch ups to ceiling paint - places where tape or staining caused issues.

Picked up foil pans for holiday baking and for leftovers at Thanksgiving - IF we get to gather with family.

Have been working on crafts when possible. Just have a few things to pull together. Have gotten a good amount of additional presents wrapped. And have continued to add items to Amazon wish lists.

Will work on Christmas cards next! Hope to get some cookies in the freezer this weekend!!! And to continue working on holiday meal plans, timelines and grocery lists.

Once carpet is in downstairs I will move through list of things to be cleaned, including using carpet cleaner to clean couches that have been wrapped in plastic and stored since the fire. Windows, French Door glass also need attention.

Doing pretty good as far as the main floor is concerned. Need to go over my list again...I'm sure I've missed tackling some things here and there