HGP 2020 - Guest Room(s)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Guest rooms ready for holiday guests? They will be, after we tackle them during Week Seven of the Holiday Grand Plan!

This week, we deep-clean, organize and prepare for overnight guests.

In holiday prep, we keep plugging away on gifts, whether to-make or to-buy. Decor alert: Halloween is coming!

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
Decorate for Halloween:

If you decorate mainly with a fall harvest look, then a few Halloween things can make it for Halloween. After October, replace the Halloween decorations with Thanksgiving things for a minimum of work.

CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: GUEST ROOM

This week's assignment, from Katie Leckey's Cleaning Grand Plan:

Guest bedrooms and other bathrooms use the same procedures for master bathroom and bedroom. Clean, declutter and organize guest spaces so they are convenient to set up and use.
Take note of your area and surrounding.
Make lists of those items you need to replace.
Donate or toss what needs to be.
Be ruthless this time!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Don’t have a guess room but for me it’s window week. The week of our Thanksgiving I go through and clean all the windows. It’s usually the last nice week we get before the cold/windy weather really start to set in.

Also have a little more work to do in the master bedroom. So this weeks list looks like this:

Master bedroom
()my sock drawer
()top of dresser

windows:
()2 in master bedroom
()sewing room
()living room
()dinning room
()kitchen
()powder room
()window by front door—will also wash down front door

other:
()bring in the last of the outdoor decor—garden figures

con’t to sweep leaves up in carport and raking leaves in the backyard—will be on going for a few weeks.

once the windows are done I am done with deep cleaning the house.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well....we have 3 guest rooms...if you count the two bedrooms downstairs - which we do :) However, our entire lower level was never finished after our house fire and having to rebuild the house.

We've been back home for 5 years now and a LOT of stuff accumulated EVERYWHERE down there. Boxes and boxes of items packed up after the fire by the restoration and cleaning people, etc.

We just learned DH's brother, his wife and their son are coming for Thanksgiving. They'll stay at least 2 nights. Which has FINALLY gotten us moving on finishing things down there!!!

Spent hours this weekend moving and rearranging and packing and bagging up items for Goodwill, etc. But it is 99% cleared out and now and DH can begin on building some shelves, etc. in living room. Once those are in place we can have carpet installed.

I'll work on the spare room upstairs this week - a little tricky as DH is using part of it as his home office but it should be fine.

I need to make a drop dead list of ANY tasks for HGP that I need to have done or redone before they arrive. And I need to menu plan. And keep working on crafts!

My legs are literally sore today from going up and down the stairs so much this weekend!!!! I need a NAP! o_O

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I did my Guest room last week so I am turning my attention to the kitchen. I will start with the drawers and then move to the cupboards that hold our food. I will make sure they are well stocked from the pantry items I have the downstairs on shelves. I will also mix and freeze 2 kinds of cookie dough to bake in December.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Not sure if I'll have holiday guests, but want to be ready, just in case. Here's my to-do list (prepared on Sunday, but never posted), to insure that I'm back on track --

Dust ceiling fan, lights, and cornices -- DONE
Check closets to insure space for guest's clothing -- DONE
Clean windows -- DONE
Dust top of mirror -- DONE
Dust furniture
Change bedding -- DONE
Launder bedding that was removed, fold, and to linen closet -- DONE
Launder comforter -- DONE
Repair comforter
Vacuum carpet