HGP 2020 - Holiday Décor

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Décor takes center stage this week in the Holiday Grand Plan!

The holiday season is here, so we'll bring it home this week, organizing holiday decorations and décor storage.

In holiday prep, the Christmas tree makes an appearance as we complete holiday decorating. Are gift packages ready for mailing? It's time!

HOLIDAY PREP​

• Decorate house and yard for holidays.
  • Have a craft day for children.
  • Prepare all packages for mailing and mail this week and next. Mail all overseas cards.
  • Plan a caroling evening or other social family evenings.
  • Procure and water the Christmas tree!
  • Order turkey.
  • Are we having the company Christmas party? See checklist.
  • Read The Polar Express aloud to kids.

CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: HOLIDAY DECORATIONS AND STORAGE​

This week's assignment, from Katie Leckey's Cleaning Grand Plan:

As I recall, we had only to find and sort those holiday decorations. This covered ALL holidays. and all things pertinent to those holidays,too. (like the red/white/blue centerpiece for the 4th, the Thanksgiving candles and wreaths, and centerpieces, etc.) I believe the idea was to group these all together in ONE box if possible to be added to the storage area (WHO HAS THE ROOM?).
This is to free up space in the house and kitchen cabinets by removing these non-essential but occasionally needed holiday items. The "storage" reminder at the end of this week's title was to give some people more time on that very difficult area in our homes. After the previous weeks of the grandplan, the storage areas are FULL of stuff that must NOW BE FACED !!! Are we going to hang onto our "junk" or clear the clutter??? Only you know yourself. so what'll it be??
You might as well check on all the other decorations while you are in the process or storing the Christmas decorations. Mark those boxes well and make a list of what you want to replace. You might still be able to find those after Christmas bargains for those types of things.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Holiday prep is done here! a few more gifts will arrive next week so will wrap as they get here. Not making any food this year. As we will be on vacation we will cook as we go with only the 2 of us here and sometimes ds, ddil and xavier.
Now is the time for me to sit back and relax, enjoy the season :) Usually I'm cooking up a storm by now.

Reactions: homemade4me

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Well, the plan has gone out the window. Typically, my DD and DSIL come over either Sat. or Sun. of Thanksgiving weekend and we decorate and honor my late DH, whose birthday was 11/29. It's a tradition that started the year of his passing and has continued (along with a cemetery visit to place a wreath). This year, my DD and I placed the wreath, with plans for putting up the tree on Sunday. On Sat., while putting autumn items in a bin for storage, my back gave out. So, plans to put up the tree were sidelined until some evening mid-week or this coming weekend. Haven't even started Christmas shopping, though I have a couple of items in an Amazon shopping cart ... Ugh!!!!

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Personal goal for today......put up my Christmas village on the bookshelf......and make pecan log cookies from my Taste of Home holiday recipe cookie book.....and hopefully freeze them........all after I clean my messy desk........happy 1st day of December....!!

Lori K.....I would say you shared a treasured comforting tradition with your daughter....the shopping will happen.......you are not alone in that I am sure!!!

Laurie

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Yeah, the HGP is pretty much out the window at this point here too!

No one is coming over anytime soon so normal housework/maintenance is it for now!

Decor is done!

I'm doing okay on holiday prep - gifts are shipped! That is a huge one!

Advent calendar filled!

PJ Elves box "delivered"!

Will take Christmas photo of DS and the dogs tonight and order same day prints to go in the Christmas cards. They are pretty much ready to go except for adding postage stamps.

After packing cookie tins for boxes to be shipped I found myself a little low on cookies for local gifting. I baked a batch of Snickerdoodle Bars last night and made a batch of Browned Butter Mocha Caramel Cookies to bake today. Planning on making a couple of snack mixes for giving as well.

Most gift shopping is done. Almost all of the gifts in the house are wrapped - but do have more left to do.

I need to figure out when I'm dropping off items for adopted family and when I am dropping off gifts/food to the people we give to locally.

There is an ad on the radio here for setting up a Zoom call with Santa that I want to look into.

Need to "mail" DS's letter to Santa.

I would like to try and do some more online shopping for DH - need to round out his stocking too! And I'm on the lookout for deals for DS for his birthday in Feb.

Also need to review our personal menu plans for Christmas and New Years. Toying with the idea of making a lasagna, quiche, etc. and would do some freezer cooking this weekend to prep for that.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've done the mantle. The cards look so wonderful hanging from it:)

Next will be the DR table and changing out the linens in the LR.