HGP 2020 - Master Bedroom

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
During the hectic holiday season, the master bedroom can be an oasis of calm and renewal ... if it is clean and serene. This week in the Holiday Grand Plan, we'll declutter, organize and clean the master bedroom.

We're moving to the master for Week 4 of the Holiday Grand Plan!

This important week sees us move into the master bedroom to deep-clean and cut clutter, creating a serene and peaceful refuge for the busy days ahead. As the season changes, we'll rout out the closet and organize clothing.

Our holiday prep tasks center on home-made gifts, and we'll begin budgeting "to-buy" items week-by-week.

Ready? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

HOLIDAY PREP
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Make list of any table and bathroom linens that need replacing before the holidays, and pick up a few each week.
CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: MASTER BEDROOM

This week's assignment, from Katie Leckey's Cleaning Grand Plan:
First. let's do what we did in the living room. All draperies or curtains taken down and washed or dry cleaned (or at least vacuumed). Do the same with your bedspread. While windows are bare, clean blinds and glass.
Clear off those stacks and piles on and around your dresser/chest of drawers. Now, dump each drawer, one at a time, or all at the same time into a central location. Vacuum the drawers if necessary.
Go through and sort items. Decide what you want to have in the dresser drawers and put only those items back. use the 4 box method to sort the remaining items. If you haven't worn an item in a year, ask yourself if you will wear it within the next year. if no then get rid of it! (Garage sale, donate to the needy or someone you know will wear it, or THROW IT OUT!)
Do similar with items other than clothing that you find along the way. How about those worn undergarments?? Get rid of them and treat yourself to new! You may want to invest in, or make dividers for some of these types of articles.
How about the jewelry box? Time to go through & inventory. Might want to give some that you don't wear to your kids to play, and leave room for your better items.
Have you checked under the bed yet? Better do so! There could be shoes, books, and other items that have long since been forgotten. You might want to consider getting storage containers for use under there for your off-season clothing.
Now you're ready for the closet! Use the same technique as for drawers: take everything out of the closet and pile in a central location. Decide what you what to store where in the closet! Then use the 4 box method as you consider each thing you removed from the closet before you put items into the closet!
For shoes, try on all pairs if you can't wear them now, chances are you never will. Get rid of them! And if you never really felt comfortable in a certain pair, find a friend who would. Come on now, do you really need to keep the old maternity clothes?? Would anyone else want them? If so, give them away, if not throw them away! Okay now, get ready to fill the closet with things you need and love.
Have you changed the linens on the bed? Turn the mattress first, so you won't "wear" a valley in it! Throw the pillows into the dryer to fluff, and pull out all the dust they collect also
Time to dust and clean off all the furniture with your favorite product. Don't forget the TV screen & any mirrors you may have. Everyone has different things in their bedrooms which are individual to your household. Take a good look around and see if there is anything we left out.
Vacuum the floor of the room and the closet!
List time: do you need new hangers? Have you replaced winter clothes for summer clothes? Have you found that necklace that fell behind the dresser last year? Did you check the ceiling fan, light fixtures & air vents? Do you need a new mattress pad or mattress cover?

We should be finished! What an adventure!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Started Master bedroom yesterday. I still have the floor to do and am waiting for DH's help. I have a couple of things I want to hang on the wall and need to locate the hangers. I would like to start in Paris (bathroom) on Thursday. It could be a one day job unless I decide to take out all the caulk around the tub and window and replace it. The window is the worst. DH is not great a caulking. I will use painters tape as a guide. The window needs a piece of trim or something as the space is too wide for just caulk. I will brooch this subject carefully or ask DS to keep him busy for the day so I can do it. Otherwise, I am sure I will be saying "hover", his code word to stop looking over my shoulder. Lol.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
As Thanksgiving is just around the corner and we are still getting summer like weather I plan to work on the kitchen.

(x)clean stove vent
(x)deep clean stove
(x)deep clean inside/outside of frig
() clean under sinks
()clean drawers
()clean cupboards
()scrub floor
()clean window

other
() finish up a couple gifts
()pick up a couple baking items on sale

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I finished the bedroom this morning. I wanted to paint the closet but it will wait until I get more paint. I used up the leftover paint on the other 2 closets. I should have more paint by next month. I have the bathroom to do yet this week. Tomorrow DH and I will do our painting project.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I did my bedroom and wardrobe last week. I did everything that was on the list and it took me two days to do it all. The bedroom looks lovely now and is so comfortable. Need to maintain.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have gotten windows done, floor swept, ceiling fan dusted and my clothes and shoes flipped for the coming cold weather.

That is as far as I've gotten :( Been very busy this week - keeping up with work and virtual school for DS is really taking it out of me. It's been hard to jump into my HGP list at night...

Tomorrow I will plan on starting the bedding in the wash first thing in the AM and just running laundry all day while I'm working - to do the blankets and pillows

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
We are in the process of painting some furniture black. Looks so much better. I always wonder why I wait so long on these projects. Also, realized last night that I missed cleaning the ceiling fans in the the office and master bedroom. (only rooms with ceiling fans) It shouldn't take to long to get that done. DH is stepping up more. I think since he has seen me accomplish so much he is thinking he could do more. LOL. Hope to do more cleaning tomorrow. I am supervising virtual school today.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Went through all the drawers and got them organized. Moved some mismatched sheets to the downstairs closet. I'm going to say bedroom is done at this point! :)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
From the Holiday Spruce Up list I got 4 chairs, 2 small bookcases, and a bench painted and upholstered the 4 chairs.
I still have ceiling fans to clean. Saturday we will do the garage and bathroom (which was suppose to be done this week, but weather was right for painting outside so did that instead.

• Love

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
This week has been a disaster! Here's what I planned and what's been done so far for Master Bedroom Week --
  • Wash windows and sills
  • Dust blinds
  • Change sheets and mattress pad -- DONE
  • Rotate mattress -- DONE
  • Clean pillows -- DONE
  • Organize dresser drawers -- DONE (well, they were pretty much done already, just needed a touch-up)
  • Clean nightstand drawers
  • Master closet #1 (clothes)
  • Master closet #2 (primarily bed and bath linens)
  • Dust artwork
  • Thorough vacuum / clean carpets
  • Change waxmelt in bedroom Scentsy
I had a CT scan slated for Monday morning. They forgot to tell me it required Barium; wasted trip, rescheduled to Tuesday. Work Tuesday AM blew up, followed by CT scan and after effects of Barium (my body, no like). Bloodwork on Weds. Then the refrigerator started flashing an error code, needed to find a repairman (I've not required appliance repair since I moved to this area, so it was more time consuming than just making a call). Was supposed to have dental cleaning on Thursday, but had to cancel -- waited on appliance repairman. Thursday was work in AM and then repairman in afternoon. The refrig was unplugged for most of the afternoon. The freezer temp didn't get above 20*, so I think I'm good there. But the refrigerator portion had the door open for the better part of 5 hours and the temp was near 80 by the time he finished. When I went to bed, it was still hovering around 50, but is back to 35 this morning. Today, I'm cleaning out the refrig -- not going to take chances with things that could have gone bad. And, this afternoon, they are finally coming to install new window panes on the sides of my front door -- the seals were popping out and I wanted to make the repair before winter, to avoid any draftiness and frosted over or foggy glass come winter. I started the process for this repair last fall and got sidetracked with retirement "stuff." So, taking care of it now. But do they have to do it TODAY???? If I reschedule, it will be another 3 weeks. The way 2020 is going, we could have 2 feet of snow by then!!!! UPDATE -- Just got a call from the window company. When they were loading the truck, they noticed that the windows were not the right ones; they sent the wrong size. So, they have to re-order them and reschedule the install. It could be mid-Nov. before it's done. Argh!!!!

I'm hoping to be able to get over to Michigan to see my Mom on Saturday and get some apples (for putting up applesauce and pie filling) and concord grapes (for making a couple of jars of grape juice). So, fingers crossed that things go better (and more quickly) today.

Last edited: