HGP 2020 - Pantry/Closets

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Pantry Week sees us move into food storage area, this week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

This week, we focus on food storage, the pantry and any additional closets. Taking time to declutter, deep-clean and organize these storage areas will pay off when holiday baking begins.

Holiday prep chores this week see us begin to address Christmas cards, continue to work on holiday gifts, and start thinking about Thanksgiving dinner.

HOLIDAY PREP​

• Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Start addressing Christmas cards and writing Christmas letter. Involve the whole family. Do not seal cards yet, keep them in a box in alphabetical order, as you think of things that you want to say to them pull out the card and add a note.
  • Find family photo suitable for inclusion with Christmas card.
  • Send invitations for Thanksgiving.
  • Prepare for special needs-extra beds, babies?
  • Buy extra batteries (check gifts).
  • Order turkey.

CLEANING/ORGANIZING AREA: PANTRY AND CLOSETS​

This week's assignment, from Katie Leckey's Cleaning Grand Plan:
Pantry: Use same method as for the cabinets. don't forget to wipe down while empty. Try to combine duplicate boxes of things to throw out that which you haven't and probably won't use.
Get Rid Of:
  • Old, currently unused items
  • Cans & Bottles of food over 6 months old unless there is a later expiration date
  • Old cracker/cookie boxes probably stale
  • Pans & pots that you don't use, have duplicates of, are in horrible shape, etc.
  • Extra serving dishes (store them elsewhere unless you have lots of room) until needed. Donate if you have not used them in the past six months.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My pantry was finished several weeks ago, when I inventoried and organized to stow my home-canned goods, needed to get them off my counters. This week, my focus will be to go through the coat closet and to finish up the kitchen items that didn't get done last week.
  • coat closet -- lightweight jackets to the guest bedroom closet, remove gift bags to the wrapping area, double-check basket with spare light bulbs to make sure there are spares of the most-often used sizes.
  • under sink storage in kitchen -- organize and consolidate
  • island drawers (4)
  • wipe down kitchen baseboards
  • mop kitchen floor
  • kitchen counters cleaned and polished

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This past week I have continued to work on the kitchen as well as the pantry. A few small things left to do but for the most part everything is done. I've also been continuing to work on finishing the basement, painting, staining, sanding, caulking, etc.

And I've repainted/touched up white trim upstairs and last night I repainted master bath. Have cans out to touch up paint in DS room and spare room upstairs. Want to do the same in entry way - have to dig out that can.

DH should have more wood for me to start staining and sanding this weekend too. Bookshelves are in the home stretch and then there is the pieces to finish the bar coming up too.

Want to get at least one batch of cookie dough or even baked cookies in the freezer this weekend. Will continue to work on Thanksgiving meal timeline - even if out of state family don't come up the family we normally celebrate with that live nearby will most likely still be coming. We'll have to see how things go!