HGP 2021 - Front Porch Week!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Would like your input on a dilemma I'm facing that is impacting my completion of HGP Week 1. I may have mentioned before that I have a deck top-rail that's rotted and needs to be replaced, along with some baseboard and crown around the main deck posts. The deck sits on larger posts and overhangs over part of the garage slab. Contractor originally bid it last April, using vinyl covered cedar, same color. However, that was rejected by the townhome association board -- it has to be painted wood to conform with the existing structure. Contractor came back out for a second look and to remeasure. He doesn't want to do the baseboards unless he can do them all. They were done with a MDF-type product that has started to delaminate. He's suggested that I just remove the delaminated part and paint what's left, if I'm not going to rebuild the entire deck. He thinks that, once you start removing the base trim, you're likely to open up a can of worms. I GET that he would like a bigger job, but I'm not willing to go that far, since the association has been kicking around replacing deck rails with an engineered product, after the current roofing project is completed (another 2-3 years). It's not that I want to do it on the cheap, it's the division between what the Association covers (the posts and trim below the deck) and what I'm responsible for (on the deck, limited common element). I'm concerned that, if I spend a bundle to rebuild it entirely, that the association will decide to change things in a couple of years and it will have all been for naught. Do it on the cheap now, and just seal and paint the trim pieces? Try and find another contractor willing to replace the delaminated wood, in addition to what is rotted? Finding someone to do a small job has been difficult, to begin with, so I'm not sure which way to go. Thoughts? Until I get this resolved, my HGP Week 1 will remain unfinished. Argh!!!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Lori that is a tough one! I'd likely choose to repair and maintain, waiting till the association gives final if any changes. Once repairs are completed you can always submit your concerns that this was a temporary job and need guidance as it will need to be replaced within a time frame?

Good luck!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori that is a tough one! I'd likely choose to repair and maintain, waiting till the association gives final if any changes. Once repairs are completed you can always submit your concerns that this was a temporary job and need guidance as it will need to be replaced within a time frame?

Good luck!
The repairs on the deck are mine to make, because it's considered limited common element. The base support posts and trim below the deck are common element, as they are accessible to anyone on the property. The carpenter was concerned about his repairs not being the same as the bases on the support posts (which are also bad, but not my concern). With the repairs being on the inside of the deck, the Association would have no interest in the repairs. I'm leaning toward the temporary fix, and if it gets worse, find a different contractor.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lori, it sounds like you are caught in the middle. I think I would talk to a couple of different contractors to get some different opinions. I’m not one for temporary fixes but it sounds like you don’t have much of a choice.
Honestly I don’t think I would have another house with a deck as they are kinda a pain. Ours needs replaced which in its self is expensive. Compounded by how large it is, how it was constructed in relation to our sunroom we have no idea what to do. Thankfully we don’t have to deal with a association.

My sunroom is clean. Took the better part of the morning and afternoon. We only use it in the morning when we have coffee. Not sure where all the dirt came from. And I’m still cleaning up cat hair too. But it’s done.

I do rearrange in the fall in the sunroom. Since I’m moving furniture to clean I set it up for the Christmas tree. I have one end table I’ll take to the basement when it comes time and that is all I have to move. Other than that I don’t rearrange.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I pulled out my vacuum to vacuum the screen door and ended up taking it all apart and cleaning. It is bagless and dusty from top to bottom. This was done in the middle of my window washing. :) Can you say sidetracked. Well, it is now ready for a good work out when I start cleaning inside. Outside is done. DH did trash and recycle bins along with the mailbox. Say do any you decorate your mailboxes? Mine sits by the road and truck drives up to it. I wonder if I can find a way to decorate it. Green plastic on a pole. HMMMMM.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
. I'm leaning toward the temporary fix, and if it gets worse, find a different contractor.
I agree . If you go with the temporary fix now once the other fix is complete you can continue with a permanent fix. It would break my heart to have the association change it up after I had paid out my money to have to do it again.

Reactions: HouseElf

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori, I would do the best temporary fix for now making sure that the temporary fix can last up to 5 years. It may take that long for the association to make their plans. You need to be safe so I think that this would be a good compromise.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Completed the cleaning and discarding of the porches. There still needs to be some painting and 'work' on these areas in regards to renovations but it's done as its going to be this week ;) Lists updated and a plan in place. Week one done!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I completed the porch yesterday. Would like to find a door mat. and I did the Entry and Living Room today. I find listening to a book keeps me going and makes the tasks not so bad. I have not gotten out the fall decorations yet. Maybe Monday as DS is coming tomorrow to help DH build a small deck for our back stoop so we don't have to step so high getting into the house.

Wednesday we will be heading up to DD's for 5 days. I will be doing lots of sewing for Christmas. It will be a nice break from cleaning yet an opportunity to still do Christmas preparations and not get behind.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I swept the front porch and Dd did the back porch. Need to clean the inside of the front porch light. Would like to brass polish it also.

Reactions: HouseElf

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Even though I'm posting a bit late, the weeds growing between the cracks in the walkway were pulled, I bought a new push broom (where the heck did the old one go???) & swept the walkway. Picked up cooler that had been sitting out on deck for the past month, plus bag of potting soil that was there. I didn't get it painted. :( That was the main thing I wanted to do. Maybe this week we'll have some nice weather & I can do it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori, have you made a decision about the deck?

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori, have you made a decision about the deck?
Yes. Thanks for asking. I've contracted with the carpenter/handyman to do the basic repair. Things are rapidly changing and I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay in this location (as much as I love it). So, doing the basics and will do more in the coming years, as needed, until the Association makes up their mind what they're going to do.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori, seems like a great solution for now.