HGP 2021 - Kids Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN

Will Santa be visiting your house this year? Time to sort out the short stuff with Kids' Room Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

This week, we focus on kids' rooms for deep-cleaning, decluttering and organizing so that there's room to spare for holiday gifts. We'll assess each child's possessions, record clothing sizes, and prepare a Gift Ideas Planner for Santa ... or Grandma.

Our holiday prep assignments include assembling freezer meals, working on hand-crafted gifts, and continuing to buy gifts and holiday supplies.

HOLIDAY PREP​

• Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Check smoke detectors and clean them, change batteries if needed.
  • Make "goody basket" for guest bath, from samples found in abundance in stores right now.

Reactions: HouseElf

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My boys are adults now, I think they made less mess as children! ;)

Starting to notice some items running low in stores, but thinking it's likely just other families also prepping for the holidays!
Ready with new batteries for carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. Ordered a stamp for gift wrapping, should be here is a couple weeks.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My one "kid" is now out on her own and lives about an hour from me. So, no Kids Room for me. But, since I was away last week, I'm playing catch up in my Master Bathroom, and I'll also hit the rarely-used Guest Bathroom, too.

I, too, noticed some shortages in my regular grocery store last week, but attributed it to manufacturers / suppliers changing out product for those with new designs and sizes, or because they're discontinuing carrying a product. My local Meijer no longer has shelf space dedicated for both Swanson's and their store-brand's regular chicken both, only Fat Free and Fat Free/Low Sodium. They've limited the Veg. broth to only 2-3 rows on the top shelf, same for Turkey broth, and I didn't pay attention to Beef stock/broth, but expect it'll be the same. When it comes to cleaning supplies, I've always liked Scrubbing Bubbles for bathroom cleaning, but that shelf was all but empty. I did grab what I thought was a can with a "new label", only to discover it was a disinfectant spray that you apply AFTER cleaning, to prevent mold, mildew, and viruses. The rest of the shelf was yet to be stocked (lots of boxes on a cart waiting to be shelved), but I suspect they've redefined the product line with new labels and smaller sized packaging for the same price. Bacon (which was scant a few weeks ago) was fully stocked.

Need to start thinking about Christmas gifts for DD and DSIL. The holiday will be here before you know!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Finished the 2 spare bedrooms today. I started the guest bathroom, will finish that tomorrow. Need to only sweep and mop. Have dusted the hall and stairwell. Will vacuum all of that tomorrow too. I’m thinking the rest of the week I’ll play. If I’m ambitious I’ll do the master bath and walk in closet.

I’m done shopping unless I happen to see something. Waiting for the Christmas lottery tickets to come out, those are our only stocking stuffers. Been trying to wrap a few gifts every day. It seems to be a little easier on my back.

I received a email today from the book company I’ve been buying from. It was a warning that the post office is doing some kind of revamping of systems so to expect a major slow down in delivery times. They were encouraging everyone that planed on any type of online ordering to do it soon. I see a repeat of last year in our future.

Our stores are hit and miss. Thankfully I have my cousin to team shop with, we keep a eye out for each other on the hard to find items. There are very few “deals” here anymore.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I planned to do laundry room this week. I had planned to do it on Wednesday but headache but the kibosh on that idea.

Thursday, I was up with plans to get in the laundry room. I roped DH in to helping me with the paint cans. I only have 1 jar of paint for touch up. The other paints were not usable. I was able to keep 4 cans. They are now store elsewhere.

I got started in the laundry room just before noon then needed to run to the neighbors to let dogs out. Dear Molly would not come back in the house no matter what strategies I used. I finally left it in the gated backyard and went home after 2 hours. (I did take my book with me.) I didn't get back to the laundry room until after 6 but am happy to say it is done.

Next week the Garage. The plan has the garage the first full week in November too cold to be cleaning in an unheated garage. It is not in bad shape as I try to stay on top of it and not keep much in there. Unfortunately, we still have lawn care to do for a few weeks so can't quite pack it in too tightly just yet.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Finished up the guest bath, hall and stairwell.
I’ve been “picking” at the master bath. Rugs are washed, vanity and mirror done, glassware washed and photos cleaned and dusted. I pitched a bunch of old make up. I hardly wear it anymore. With wearing a mask seems like a waste of time.
Did a little in the kitchen. Pitched a bunch of papers. Have some old glassware that is going to my cousin.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We are empty nesters now :(so no kids rooms per se. I use DD's room as a guest room and for now DS room is used as wedding central. That will be all cleared up in the next few weeks. A bonus week for me this week.