HGP 2021 - Kitchen Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
"Week Eight sees us down and dirty in the heart of the home: the kitchen. It's Kitchen Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

This week, we'll clear the decks for the holiday cooking to come with a kitchen clean-up and declutter. Routing out the year's dirt and disorder gives us a fresh, clean start for holiday cooking to come.

In holiday prep, it's Checkpoint Week and time to make plans for Halloween night."

Last edited:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I spend a lot of time in my kitchen, not just for meal prep but it seems that it's the room that gets the most use with four men in the house that always seem hungry ;) and that translates to a mess. Have a box that I am adding the things that I don't typically use and have no storage room for. One project that will help is the new pantry shelves, once finished there will be so much more room and I will be able to see what we have; my deep dark cupboards seem to effectively store some and hide all.

Pumpkin is purchased and will carve this weekend. It looks like we may get some rain so holding off on decorating till we have a nice day. No costumes needed this year, we have some holiday T-shirts that we will wear.

Looking forward to taking inventory and cleaning out the clutter!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
This week is dedicated completely to cleaning for me.
I literally just finished mopping the master bath floor on my hands and knees. Once it dries I’ll put the rugs down and will be finished.
I will tidy up the walk in closet next and finally be finished with the upstairs. I’m not going through my clothes. I’m hoping I lose the weight I put on between covid and my health issues. I plan to re address what I need to get rid of in the spring.
I’ve already started parts of my kitchen. If I get that finished and my cookies baked I’ll tackle the garage.
Landscaper cleaned my flower beds last week for winter. I still need to call the carpet cleaner guy and we are still waiting for our new siding to come in ( we have been waiting almost 4 months).

Reactions: HouseElf

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Now that I've been in my place for 5 years, my kitchen is at that point where I need better organization and a thorough cleaning. I'm tackling my Kitchen this week, as well as the Guest Bedroom, since I was away all last week. For the Kitchen, here's what's on the docket --

• Clean and organize the cabinet with pans
  • Clean and organize the cabinet with my mixer and other baking pans
  • Dishes cabinet
  • Turntable
  • Upper cabinets and over-the-stove cabinet
  • Check spices and replace as needed
  • Clean sinks and disposal
  • Sanitize dishwasher
  • Clean stovetop and microwave
  • Clean oven and warming drawer
  • Organize under-sink storage
  • Baseboards
  • Touch up floor stain (a couple of boards have minor chipped / worn stain on the edges)
  • Mop floor

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Today, I did upper and lower cupboards on one side of the room. Cleaned sink and counter on that side too. and 2 kitchen drawers. I only got rid of product containers because I combined it with a duplicate type container. This I attribute to my big declutter I did in July and doing my best to keep it out of the house. My cupboards I cleaned have only what I use in them.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Yesterday, I cleaned the cupboards on the other side of the kitchen did the microwave, stove, wall behind the stove, stove vent, outside of refrigerator and door. Again, not much to get rid of, I finally decided to donate some old kitchen items that I display ( a French fry press, hand beater, and crinkle cut cutter. I don't use them and they just get laden with grease and dust. So I no longer have to clean them.
Today, I put my curtains in the washer, need to move them to the dryer, washed light fixtures, and windows.
Tomorrow, I will clean out the refrigerator, and wash the baseboards, sweep and mop.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Taking a break right now from my kitchen. I have a batch of cookies on my dining room table to package for the freezer when I get up and then back to cleaning.
Im down to the sink area, the floors and will finish flushing the coffee maker.
I haven’t pitched a lot but I did get rid of all of the plastic containers I had. I’m not moving the appliances or doing curtains as that was all done late this spring. Some how I ended up with peach butter and plum butter on the ceiling! I have made that stuff for years and never had it end up there. What a pain but I did get it cleaned up.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I got the curtains ironed and back up and the refrigerator cleaned out. Baseboards look good and I will ask DH to mop the floor while I am at the Corn Maze tomorrow.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Finished up the kitchen. The main floor and 2nd floor are completely done.
Had planned to do the garage today but the rain put a stop to that. I started the basement instead. Will run the shop vac tomorrow and it will be done. I also made another batch of cookies.
I started going through my cook books. I have so many. I went through 3 of them this afternoon and found 1 recipe that I would realistically use. I’ll check with my cousin and her daughter to see if they want any of them. If not they will go to the thrift shop.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I need to finish the kitchen and the laundry room and I am done. the kitchen is big with a lot of cupboards and it will take 2 days to do. Not sure if I will get it done this week or swap it to next week.