HGP 2021 - Master Bedroom Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We're moving to the master for Week 4 of the Holiday Grand Plan!

This important week sees us move into the master bedroom to deep-clean and cut clutter, creating a serene and peaceful refuge for the busy days ahead. As the season changes, we'll rout out the closet and organize clothing.

Our holiday prep tasks center on home-made gifts, and we'll begin budgeting "to-buy" items week-by-week.

Ready? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

HOLIDAY PREP​

• Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Make list of any table and bathroom linens that need replacing before the holidays, and pick up a few each week.

Reactions: HouseElf

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am slightly out of whack. I did my master bedroom last week, it took 2 days but looks wonderful. I will be doing the spare rooms this week.
Really enjoying the weather and getting things crossed off the list.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
It's going to be a busy week, as I'm preparing for vacation and have a ton of stuff to do to get ready. But, one good thing, as I'm going through drawers cleaning, I can pull clothes for my trip, Here's my game plan for the Master Bedroom:

Monday: collect all dog toys that have made it into the master bedroom, including those under the bed and under dressers; wash dog bed and his crate mat; dust cornices and walls; wash baseboards
Tuesday: thorough furniture dusting; ceiling fan, including blades top and bottom; tall chest; master closet #1
Wednesday: long dresser, clean mirror, wipe down all doors and door handles (PM: book club, widows dinner)
Thursday: master closet #2 (used primarily as linen storage, extra paper goods, luggage storage, and gifts); blinds dusted; windows cleaned; thorough vacuum, including in closets; schedule carpet cleaning for after vacation
Friday: nightstands; wipe down lamps; artwork frames and glass

I'm well stocked on paper goods for the holidays. I've added Kleenex to my grocery list and will also pick up a couple of "holiday" boxes when they're on shelves. I have limited freezer space and am a household of one, I don't do a lot of pre-cooked / pre-prepped meals or baked goods. My daughter and I always to do a "baking day" in early to mid-December (complete with eggnog and Christmas music in the background) and share the goods, along with packing gift boxes for shipping to family that lives out of the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rose94 and HouseElf

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I believe I will hold off on the Master bedroom and jump over to the guest room and bathroom this week. DH will be gone the first weekend of October and I can do it then. That room has the last closet that needs painting. I need to buy paint. I can pick that up tomorrow when I am near the store.
I generally just attack the entire room in a day. Guest Room has already had the closet and dresser gone through so mainly:

1. Dust walls, ceiling, wall hangings, lights, and furniture Done

2 Wash baseboards, and windows Done

3. Hang curtains I already have if I can find rods that will work. Hope I didn't get rid of all of them. Done

Remake bed add a quilt at bottom for extra warmth. Done

Clean hardwood floor. Done

Bathroom:
Empty completely Done
Wet wipe walls and fixtures Done
Clean light and switches Done
Clean medicine cabinet
Clean floor Done
Put it all back Done
Wash bathroom rugs
Wash shower curtain and cut to make a curtain for window in tub/shower area Done
Hang new shower curtain Done
Clean Linen closet (it's next to the bathroom. Recently gone through just need to see what needs to be restocked and straighten. Done

My Holiday focus will be finish decorating for fall and sewing doll clothes. if time permits I will start on the Christmas countdown for dgds. Need to write direction for making the items to go in. Busy week. I am glad I need this.

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
It’s furniture polishing week here, I have a manicure later this week! I’m down to the few things that my husband needs to help with, hoping we can get that done tomorrow.
Dining room and hall is done (cleaned) except for the floors.
base boards and windows need done in the living room. Still need to call for the carpet cleaner.
Homemade gifts are done. Gift shopping in general is done except for gift cards.
Made chili today, some will be freezer meals.
Need to hem my new fall table cloth. I thought I did that this spring. Will get to that after all the furniture is done.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Making good progress on the tidy and toss, always takes longer than I bargain for! Completed my wardrobe and started list of needed items; working on DH wardrobe and adding to the shopping list. Have a few items that need hemming, and a furniture repair that was added to the DH to-do list.

Grocery order for today and will meal prep for the freezer Wednesday; we are expecting a couple days of rain here so great time for me to cook. Boxed up a few more items for the foodbank and working in the evenings on the crochet blanket. Added a few items to the table and bathroom linen needs - some cloth napkins, tea towels, wash cloths and hand towels.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Don't know if I'm going to get to the tall dresser today (Tuesday) or not. But, I did get through my closet (Master closet #1 on my list). I pulled everything off the shelves and dumped it on the bed, and then dusted the closet shelving. Items on hangers were sorted by type and sleeve length, and in some case further divided by color family. I still need to go through my work wardrobe, but due to timing, not today. Everything that was on the shelves was sorted, and then washed, re-folded, and organized by type and range of colors. OMG ... I found 27 long sleeved white, off-white, and ivory turtleneck, crew neck, and V neck shirts. They're all in the wash now. Once they're clean, I'll check for size and torso length and those that are too short or too small will get folded and put immediately into the donate pile, with only the best-fit ones going back into the closet. I did the same with my navy and purple tops -- kept 2 navy and one purple, the others were short at the waist and are in the donation bag. The stuff we accumulate without knowing it and because we don't know what we already have. Geesh!!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Half a box of useless paper work shredded this morning. Working on the office and the rest of stepmother’s items this week. Putting up some old gutters on one of the sheds and once finished the leftover pieces will head to the recycle place.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I did the guest room yesterday and did the bathroom today. I couldn't sleep so was up early this morning and had it done by 8:00 am. This afternoon I shorten a shower curtain and hemmed it to go over the bathroom window which is above the tub. I had a plastic curtain hanging there and wanted a better look.

Started in my office this afternoon. I got rid of the clutter and adjusted the floor rug with DH's help.

I DM a friend last night she for a couple of doll patterns. She is checking and will let me know what she has.

I may do some crafting tomorrow. Still have some fall decorating to do. I can't decide what direction I want to go with it.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Husband helped me with finishing the furniture polishing. I finished cleaning the master bedroom and his office while I was in those rooms. Took care of the windows baseboards in the living room.

I hemmed the fall dining room table cloth. Decided to check my new Christmas table cloth. I didn’t have it hemmed either. So I did them both. Not sure what I was thinking.

Picked up a few more things for the pantry and the wine for Christmas Eve dinner.

Started to decorate for fall. I’m not doing much this year. Will finish up tomorrow. Plan to do some wrapping Saturday, quilting my fall quilt on Sunday.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I'm going to lump the master bed room and bath room together, I'm have a hard time this year getting any thing done. hoping to fell better soon.
my kids are coming for Christmas. we are doing all home made gifts this year.