HGP 2023 – Week 15 – Finish Up Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Can you believe it? We’re only 3 weeks away from Christmas! This week is our final push to get everything we want done completed. It’s a chance to go back and look at those things we didn’t get completed and determine if it’s an essential task or if it can wait until after the holidays. Some things may be deemed critical; others, your family and/or houseguests may not notice the difference. For me, it’s critical that I iron my dining room tablecloth this week. But, I’ll pass on cleaning the drawers and under-sink storage in the guest bathroom. The only thing an overnight guest may go into there for is to grab a new roll of TP, and those are right up front.

Do you have all of your shopping for gifts done? Double check your lists to make sure you have everything you need, including hostess-type gifts and extra cookie plates / serving bowls for items you may contribute to a holiday event at someone else's home. I find that it's good to have some available that I don't care if they get lost -- Goodwill or other thrift store cut glass bowls, red plates, or other holiday-themed platers that you don’t need to worry if it’s not reurned.

It's also the last push for getting Christmas cards and packages ready for shipping. Yes, the Post Office may give you another week, but do you want to chance it? Try to get what needs to be mailed sent out by the end of this week.

Lastly, finalize your Christmas meals and create your grocery list. Check the sales flyers for what’s a good buy this week and make any adjustments to your meal plan to take advantage of any savings. Remember to include any ingredients for holiday baking. You don’t want to be mid-recipe and realize you’re short a stick of butter or 2 eggs! After you’ve shopped, create a separate list of items you took a pass on this week, due to cost, that will are needed for holiday meals, and also note what perishables you’ll need to purchase shortly before the big day. If you haven’t already done so, extend personal invites to friends and extended family, and be sure to include date and time – some events may be Christmas Eve, others on Christmas day, so be specific.

Breathe in, breathe out. You can do it! And don’t forget about those donation bags for the food pantry and/or toy drives. Make sure they, too, are dropped off toward the end of the week, after you’ve completed your shopping.

Remember to take care of you. If you can, do something to pamper yourself. Schedule a nail appointment or pre-holiday haircut. Perhaps have coffee with a long-time friend you haven’t seen in awhile, or breakfast or lunch with a relative you may not see over Christmas. Or, just a plain old fashioned bubble bath soak with some soft holiday music in the background.

Ready? Let's do this!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori,
Thanks for keeping us on track. I need to finish (well start)my laundry room and I am finished. I need to find a little more time to revisit a few areas that have become untidy again since I first started in August. I am hoping to get that done this week.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We’ve been enjoying our days since everything is done, except for yesterday. My vertigo showed up so I was down most of the afternoon and went to bed at 6.
We need ginger ale (or I needed) but last week when I shopped (cyber Monday) there was none to be had. Everything was cleaned out from thanksgiving. Will get that today.
Will pickup lard at the meat market next week since I’m out that way. Which leaves only fresh produce.
Lunch dates this week with family so that will be nice. Will sew this week and enjoy Christmas movies.
Lori, you are right about taking care of ourselves. I think there is not enough focus on that. We spend so much time doing things for the enjoyment of others to the point of neglecting ourselves. Take time this week and the coming weeks to joy the season and relax.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
Still have some gifts. To buy son and son in law are hard to buy for . Also I buy food gifts from home goods so I wait a little longer to get them . They have the best gifts.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I was there this morning! Didn’t buy a thing, doesn’t mean I didn’t see things I wanted.
Someone was looking for Hanukkah decorations , our home goods had a ton.

Reactions: Lori K

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Someone was looking for Hanukkah decorations , our home goods had a ton.
That was me! TJ Maxx and Marshalls had little to none and Target - which had a ton of Hanukkah decor in Tampa just had candles and wrapping paper when I went yesterday.

Will have to get back to HG/