HGP 2023 -- WEEK 6 – Kids Rooms

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Week 6??? Already???? It’s time to focus on the KIDS ROOMS this week, getting them organized, thoroughly cleaned, and decluttered. After all, they’ll need space to put all the new things Santa will bring, right?

Like we did with the Master Bedroom, start at the top, dusting the ceiling corners for any cobwebs, and clean the ceiling light fixture and any fan blades, if there’s a ceiling fan in the room. Give the windows a good cleaning, wash or lightly vacuum the screens, and let the sun shine in while the curtains are in the laundry. If you’re in an area that still has nice weather, perhaps open the windows and air out the room one more time before winter weather sets in.

Now is the time to go through any shelves and other toy storage. Make sure all loose game pieces are put into the correct box and extra puzzle pieces are put with their correct puzzle. If you have a toy chest filled with little army soldiers or Hot Wheels cars, collect them into a single container -- maybe a plastic bucket or other covered bin. Give some thought as to what your kids really play with, and what toys and books they may have outgrown. Weed those out for donation and get them into a donation bag or bin. Make note of what they’ve really really played with and what things are largely untouched. (Depending on your children's ages and demeanor, you may want to include them in this process.)

Do the same for your child’s desk, if they have one in their room. Eliminate old broken crayons, pencil stubs, and markers that have dried up. Sort papers for those that you want to keep for their memory box/album, and what can be tossed. Make note of what desk supplies need to be replaced, as those items make perfect stocking stuffers.

Do the same for dressers and closets. What have they outgrown? What needs mending or is too far gone in the knees or elbows and should be tossed? Are there socks with no match? Even at my age, I have socks that have gone to sock heaven! Or, are there ones with holes that should be permanently removed from the drawers? Go through the remaining underwear, t-shirts, tops, pants, sweaters, etc., weeding pieces that are too small or no longer work in your child's wardrobe. Of the remainder, sort what is serviceable for donation to your favorite charity, church, or shelter that serves families and box or bag the clothing for donation. Get the remainder immediately into the rubbish bin. And be sure to take a look at shoes, boots, sandals, and other accessories (belts, hats, and the like), too. Set aside any items that you’re not sure about and have the kids try them on after school to see if they still fit -- especially essential winter wear. There's nothing worse than trying to find boots the night before the first predicted snowfall -- been there, done that, won't do it again!

Now is a good time to strip the beds and get the sheets, blankets, and bedspreads into the laundry. Rotate/flip the mattresses, too. Then, get the under-bed areas thoroughly vacuumed and/or washed so no dust-bunnies are hiding under there. After tumbling the curtains, sheets, blankets, and bedspreads, the room will be ready for those fresh linens. Give the furniture a good polishing, so that everything is nice and clean.

Once you’ve finished, take a good look around at the wall hangings and other décor. Does it still “fit” your child’s age? Have they outgrown the “theme” you selected for the room when they were just a toddler? Give it some thought and maybe have a conversation with the kids about what they may like for their room in the future. Perhaps Santa can bring a new poster or lamp, or maybe a new comforter set. Or you can keep an eye out for a good sale on bedroom décor in the New Year during the January bed and bath sales.

For me, I don’t have any kids living at home, so this will be the week that I tackle my Guest Bedroom. Ready to have some fun? Crank up the music and let’s get a move on!

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
More baking this week. I have a batch of pecan tarts in the oven and still need to mix dough for tomorrows baking session. Then baking will be done! Will take the rest of the week off. It seems the weeks are going by fast. Thanksgiving will be here before we know it!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have 2 kids rooms. One is completely empty with the exception of what needs to go to the church for market day. The other is made up as a guest room. I will tackle those this weekend, should literally take a few hours.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I have 2 kids rooms. One is completely empty with the exception of what needs to go to the church for market day. The other is made up as a guest room. I will tackle those this weekend, should literally take a few hours.
I did my Guest Room earlier this summer, as one of my classmates who was in for our class reunion was concerned about her outgoing flight, due to the California wildfires. I did a fairly thorough clean-up, in anticipation of her staying, but her flight left right on time. All I needed to do was dust the furniture and light fixture, run the vac, and double-check the closet, to insure there were hangers in there. My DBIL's gf is coming in this weekend, so I'll give it another sweep when I change the sheets next week.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul