HGP Attic Week What's in Your Attic?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
The attic works the same every other room does, except it's probably got mostly stored boxed and old clothes.
Remember what our motto has been?

If you haven't worn it in the last year, and you can't figure when you'll wear it in the next year, get rid of it! Don't save outdated clothes for someone to wear later...they won't. As for boxes of stuff, bring it down and go through it while watching a Christmas movie. If it is memorabilia from your kids youth... make one container and fill it until it is full. Should you find more that what fits in the container choices with have to be made. If your child has a home of their own send it home with them. They are most likely to take one container that has been sorted for them.
If you have toy's for grandchildren check them out for safety and keep 1 container for them.

The Holiday Prep list seems to be a long one this week. It appears our Thanksgiving is what we need to keep in mind with this list.
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Make place cards.
  • Make 3x5 card for each serving dish, list what goes in it, garnish, how much before dinner can it go in and serving silverware used with it; tape it to edge of dish.
  • Be sure all dishes are clean!
  • Borrow or buy any additional serving dishes needed.
  • Are linens clean and ready? Unfold and verify that all spots can be hidden by centerpiece.
  • Buy reusable foil bakeware from party paper place.
  • Work on centerpiece.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My attic is empty. We cleared it out a couple of years ago and do not use it for storage.
Thanksgiving is at DS and I will be taking food that I can't make and freeze ahead but won't take long to put together once we arrive. I really want to take rolls but I don't know of any gluten free ones. I will have to shop around. I love dinner rolls. Thanksgiving and Christmas seem to be the only time we have them. Why is that? I have no idea. That will need to change.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Thankfully we only have crawl spaces here and they are empty.
I’ll be working on trees this week. I got the sunroom tree up today. I’ll start the living room tree tomorrow.
Jody, I have a cake of fresh yeast in the frig to make some dinner rolls. I could make a meal out of rolls fresh from the oven. Is gluten free bread difficult to make other than the contamination issues? I guess I’ve never paid attention to any of the recipes.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
MM
I can buy gluten free flour and just follow a normal recipe. As you mentioned I have to be careful of cross contamination issues. I can't even use my mixer. I have dishes in a bin that I use just for their visits. I might be able to find some cornbread mix at Aldi and could make that instead. Everyone likes cornbread. In fact that sounds so much easier.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I have an attic, but would have to climb atop the washer and dryer, and then on top of a step ladder to access it. There's nothing up there, as far as I know and, if there is, it belonged to the previous owners. I'm going to take this week to complete my office. The shredding has taken a lot longer than I thought, and I need to go thru the various compartments and organize my supplies. I just want it DONE. And this week will give me that opportunity.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Not the time to work in the attic here .... but there is SOO much up there. Everytime I go up I bring a few things down. DH got dd's Christmas tree and decorations down from there yesterday.
It will be a nice place for dh to work in for his retirement ;)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Holiday prep
  • Put up tree - DONE yesterday
  • Put up Christmas decorations and put away boxes - DONE during the weekend and boxes put away this morning
  • work on handmade ornaments
  • work on christmas cards to be mailed
  • work on $$ cards
  • wrap a few more stocking stuffers - should receive a few amazon orders this week
  • prep homemade gifts to be delivered by dh for my friends
  • Finish prepping homeless bags and have them deliverd by dh

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Australian homes do not have attics. I think it would be an amazing space to have.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I have the sugar plum tree left to put up. I managed to get the other ones finished this week. I also wrapped the purse sets. I found Wilton cake boxes at Walmart. They were a reasonable price and the perfect size. I’m thinking I might get a few more for my wrapping stash.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I was able to sit up long enough to hot glue skewers to the end of the pine cones I hope to paint tomorrow. My strength come in small waves.