HGP Dining Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Cleaning:
Using the basic plan, take everything off the windows and clean them.

Take everything off the walls and clean items and wall.

Using the philosophy from the "It's Here Somewhere" decide what you want to use this area for: eating, entertaining, playing games, alternative office space, etc.

Then place only those items related to those uses back into drawers, shelves, whatever.

Declutter! Use the 4 box method, place everything that isn't useable in this room into the appropriate box. trash, Goodwill, someplace else or storage.

Streamline down to what you will actually use in this room.

Remove all furniture, and clean the floors and baseboards.

As furniture is replaced, clean each piece with appropriate cleaner/wax. Check chair/table legs to see if they need new protective caps.

Re hang pictures. on the wall -- only try using only half of them. Then add more only if you can't stand the empty look.

According to the "Law of Household Reduction", when you decrease the number of things, you expand your space visually as well as physically.

Add a new arrangement or fresh flowers and plan to invite company for dinner!

Holiday To Do:
  • Deadline Week: If homemade gifts are not done, put them away. After Thanksgiving weekend and go buy something. This is not a contest, this is life.
  • Get everything out for Thanksgiving Dinner and prepare everything that can be done ahead of time. Make sure enough dishes are available.
  • Stock bathrooms and first aid kit.
  • Wednesday: Use one of the Freezer Meals, buy a salad at the store.
  • Friday or Saturday: Have children make/set up Advent Calendar.
  • Set up the Creche area and add figures each day as we read from an Advent book. Continue until Jan. 6 when the wise men come.
  • Let kids get out and inspect Christmas decorations; test tree and other lights, replace bulbs.

This is copied over from the site. Looks really ambitious to me for the week of Thanksgiving.

Reactions: luludou

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Will be a busy week... telework, physio appointment, lunch in town with my boss, ... + regular housechores + Christmas prep

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
It will be a short week for me, but will focus on my dining area and having things ready for the Christmas holiday (since I'm not hosting for Thanksgiving). Will get those baseboards cleaned and the LR / DR floors washed and polished. The biggest thing will be getting my china cabinet cleaned out, wiped down on the inside, and getting the crystal and other items that are on display in there washed and dried. Same for the buffet cabinet.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A busy week for you all.
I need to just revisit the dining room this week, we are having guests on Sunday and if it is cold out we will be inside.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Jody, I think that’s an ambitious list for this week too! When I worked full time nights I never would have accomplished of that especially if I was cooking dinner.

Just maintaining things here. Friday I’ll take down all of fall and finish decorating for Christmas. Focusing on some “me time” too.

I started to clean the outside light fixtures since they took them down for the siding. Such a mess! My husband decided we need new ones which honestly is fine with me.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
All of fall is down and put away except for the linens. I have them washed but I’ll wait a few days before I put them in the storage totes just to make sure they are completely dry.
The rest of Christmas is going up except the mantel and the windows seat. I had things fall off of shelves and pictures shifting from all the pounding with the siding. I’ll wait until they are finished with the house so we don’t have any accidents.