HHP - 2018 - Week 10: Cooking Space Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This Week's Household Checklist:
  • Declutter, clean and organize the kitchen. One more thing to do next week.
This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • Status Check. I’m feeling pretty good about what I got done in October. I focused more on the Holiday Prep and decluttering of the rooms. The general cleaning gets done weekly. I will try to do the FlyLady schedule for cleaning the next two months. I have given myself the deadline of two weeks to finish projects on the Spruce Up list. If it isn’t done by Thanksgiving, then I’ll move the projects to January.
  • Decorate for Thanksgiving. Done
  • Plan holiday baking. I have the dry mixes made but none of the dough or cookies done. I’ll put dates to work on the cookies.Done
  • Bake any fruitcakes or Christmas cakes which require mellowing. I won't have the time.
  • Work on dd’s gift. I’ll forget about it if I don’t write it down. Done
  • Continue to do the work on Spruce Up list. Gets done this week.Done

Still to do:

• Keep working on gift list. I’m collecting more and more ideas for Black Friday shopping.
  • Continue working on Christmas cards. Done
  • Continue to wrap gifts as soon as possible after being bought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minta

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Not doing anything in the kitchen as dh will be doing dust with the drywall in the bathroom.

I do need to bake & cook for christmas.
work on christmas cards
wrap gifts
order more gifts

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Status Check: I've purged much this Fall so am pretty happy but I wish I had longer to keep going. DH built some shelving down in the basement to store all our Christmas and camping gear which is great! We have some "restoring order" in the Office and Entry areas since we've torn everything apart and created a huge donation pile -- but I think it is all doable. Just need to schedule time on the calendar.

Today also kicks off a crackdown on health. Had my last bit of dark chocolate and glass of wine last night. I really do much better when I'm super healthy -- and oddly I am much more into cooking!

Trying to be uber-organized on my shopping lists so I can be extra-efficient since I'm feeling behind on the shopping. I sometimes run out the door without a complete list and then get home to realize I forgot to get something at that one store that was on the other side of town. I'm also deleting any stores from my flightpath that I tend to go to and walk out empty-handed -- and I do this every year.

HOLIDAY:
  • Halloween decor down and Thanksgiving up.
  • Holiday Baking and Freezer Cooking -- Finally in the cooking mood!!
  • Shopping -- Get DH to cover so I can get to the mall.
  • Stocking stuffers -- Buy the candy.
  • Wrapping stations -- Finish setting up. (Progress here over the weekend). Need more paper.
  • Santa App -- Sync up with Exel so I have the same list in both places..
  • Christmas card list. -- Ugh.
  • Black Friday -- Check ads today. They are out.
  • Holiday Recipes organized -- Got a dent put in it. Need to print grocery lists from last year.

HOME:
  • Marie Kondo Declutter -- Get piles out the door. Return house to normal.
  • Flu Shots scheduled this week.

Reactions: Minta and luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Cindylouwho, I have the same issues with leaving certain stores empty handed. I go back each year thinking I'll find something but I don't.

Things are progressing here but I've had to eliminate most of the things I hoped to do on the Spruce Up list this week. Dd now has PT three times a week for at least the rest of this month. I also did a last minute request for an auction basket that took some time away from my project. So now, it's the bare necessities that are getting done here. I will have plenty to do in January!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Holiday Mom - Sounds like a wise decision. January will come and you won't have time for a post Christmas slump.
Our post Christmas will entail the painting of family room and bedrooms then it will all be done. Once that is done we will begin another round of decluttering.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Kitchen is in good shape. Been eating out of the freezer trying to make room for another turkey that I will get this weekend. I think I will be fine when I pull one of the hams out to make either Sunday or Monday. I packed up the Halloween mugs and pulled out the winter/Christmas mugs. Hot cocoa caddy is restocked and ready for the kids but I do need to pick up more regular hot cocoa mix. Been working on the gift shopping list for Black Friday. I do believe we have everyone almost done by the end of Thanksgiving weekend. Waiting for a few more black Fridays to come out so I can finalized my shopping list.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Aldis ad says they will have some fresh turkeys this week. I think I'll have Dh get one so I can debone it. I think I have room in the freezer. I'd better check.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Jody, I was planning on decluttering our basement in January too but I may do it sooner. I did some decluttering in there a few months back but it has become a catch all for "stuff." I tried to access some storage containers this week and it was hard to get to because of the clutter in there. Knowing that Christmas brings in more "stuff" makes me want to get that done.

I did declutter one kitchen shelf half filled with "free" reusable water bottles that no one was using. It looks sooo much better now. There is one shelf that I'm planning to reorganize so I can store the Crock Pot in the kitchen. I'll get to that next week.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Holiday Mom - Sounds like a wise decision. January will come and you won't have time for a post Christmas slump. .

Now that is a little gem to hold onto! That post-Christmas slump is real and its nice to have a project to get excited about and work on.

Holiday_Mom - PT is SUCH a pain! I have it scheduled too. And DH has to as well. This time I'm choosing a place a little closer to home but I'm going to get the do-at-home drill and try to bump most of the apps til January if I can.

I spent the weekend nailing down the exact list and literally cross-checking the Black Friday ads with the Mall Map and store hours. I think it was last year or year before that we showed up and some stores were open and some stores were not so my plan of attack was messed up. And Macys was a ZOO filled with savages. Incredible how vicious suburban housewives can be at a big shoe sale! ;) And that is at a small mall that is out of the way so thus not as crowded as some areas. My focus this year is to stick to the LIST -- now wandering. I'm going to do non-buying wandering tomorrow though so I get it out of my system. The deals are already on and I'll do those in a more leisurely way rather than fight the savages for 10% more off.

DH and I got another load out the door this week from our clutter pile. But also another load in from grandpa's house. Got the armoire into the office -- so happy we found some place to put it. It looks good and a few trouble spots are coming together. But I'll tell you, the disarray was really freaking me out earlier in the week. I was practically having anxiety attacks!

Reactions: luludou

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh I forgot to post where I'm at:
HOLIDAY:
  • Halloween decor down and Thanksgiving up. Done.
  • Holiday Baking and Freezer Cooking -- Gathering recipe list.
  • Shopping -- First round done. Got the winter boots!
  • Stocking stuffers -- Buy the candy.
  • Wrapping stations -- In process. Need to get DGF's stuff out of there.
  • Santa App -- Ready.
  • Christmas card list. -- Ugh.
  • Black Friday -- Prep in process. Mostly ready.
  • Holiday Recipes organized -- Need print grocery lists from last year asap.

HOME:
  • Marie Kondo Declutter -- Another pile out door. Finished emptying storage unit yesterday. SO HAPPY ABOUT THAT! Continuing to try to shut down the home fix-it operation til January.
  • Flu Shots scheduled this week. DONE!! Got the flu shots yesterday!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
But I'll tell you, the disarray was really freaking me out earlier in the week. I was practically having anxiety attacks!

I totally get it. Sometimes I just have to stop everything and get the house back in shape. Ongoing visual clutter and disarray due to busyness really starts to affect me.

A few years ago we had to go to PT that was 20 minutes away but it was for 3 visits. We picked a PT place that opened up down the street from us last year. It's great because it is a two minute drive. It's made such a difference with juggling schedules here.