HHP - 2019 - Week 1: Planning and Paperwork

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Michelle, those cookies sound good! I like the idea of a base dough and then changing it as needed.

Myron's Mom, I was chuckling at when you'll polish the furniture. I like your thinking.

I had a few more gift ideas for the family that I added to the list. It's funny how sometimes it just comes at the oddest times. My dd is left handed and a few months ago, I came across the idea of left handed scissors. Why it never occurred to me before is beyond me. Anyway, it pop in my head while making the grocery shopping list this morning. I have no idea what triggered the thought. I quickly wrote it down though.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Michelle, those cookies sound good! I like the idea of a base dough and then changing it as needed.

Myron's Mom, I was chuckling at when you'll polish the furniture. I like your thinking.

I had a few more gift ideas for the family that I added to the list. It's funny how sometimes it just comes at the oddest times. My dd is left handed and a few months ago, I came across the idea of left handed scissors. Why it never occurred to me before is beyond me. Anyway, it pop in my head while making the grocery shopping list this morning. I have no idea what triggered the thought. I quickly wrote it down though.

As someone who is left handed, I know your daughter will love those scissors!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My tasks for the week are complete. I would have liked to have gotten more done during the week, but that is OK. That's what weekends are for!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Well, life sure likes to throw you a curve ball now again. After I posted I found my husband passed away in his sleep......

I posted a reply on this last night but I don't see it on here. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm still catching up on all the posts so am not sure what happened, but we are here to listen if you need to talk. Prayers going out to you.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Alright -- Kids are now back in school and I've had a chance to wrap my arms around things.

Busy first week of school! Usually it is quiet and I can pull things together. This week we had wasps move into our roofline and now we'll need to tear into the sheetrock. !!!! So...... we are moving ahead with renovations we had planned to do anyway but now.... well we are REALLY doing them. Taking bids now.

Already have bulldozers in the yard doing some clearing. We are pondering if we want to sell our home in a few years and we've decided that if we do that we would like to enjoy the renovations ourselves rather than just fix it up for someone else. Who knows, maybe we won't move at all. So all that is underway.

We've been gone most of the summer with the kids and so we are kinda dusting things off and trying to get back to normal. Semi-normal. Much to be done.

Done this week:
Started the war on the wasp invasion which promptly moved them all into my bedroom. Great.
Hired bulldozers to tear up my yard for an expanded lawn. Going well.
Dump run -- Including 2 extra twin kids beds that are no longer needed for sleepovers.
Charity run -- with DS's brand new clothes that he grew out of in months.
Read over all my notes from last Christmas. Thank God I write notes.
Made major decisions on my holiday plans in light of renovations and in light of those notes.

Most of Week 1 moves to next week:
Declutter Office / Paperwork Center (calendars, paper, bills, mail, etc) - Moves to Wk 2.
X Make the promise to spend a little time each day preparing for the season. - I solemnly swear.
X Set up a Christmas notebook - -Done. Already on my computer.
Do the family values exercise. I may decide "for" us. I'm absolutely changing things up this yr.
Create a Christmas planning activity center. -- This is getting torn apart completely.
Establish a holiday budget.
Consider a Christmas savings plan & start setting aside the cash.
X Begin a Master Gift List. -- Started.

On to week 2. Still catching up.... Good job everyone!!

Holiday Mom - Very jealous of your office! :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I forced myself to do the last project I had on my list this afternoon. I did get my pantry reorganized. It so small and getting in there is such a hassle, when something falls or is out of sorts I just ignore it and then it piles up. But it's cleared out, my backing pans are reachable and I'm good to go for awhile. Going to mark it off my checklist. For the most part, other than some calls to set up drs appts, I was successful. I'm putting those on the top of my to-do list for tomorrow.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Read over all my notes from last Christmas. Thank God I write notes.

My thoughts exactly! I usually forget things unless it was disastrous. The notes are so helpful!

Do the family values exercise. I may decide "for" us. I'm absolutely changing things up this yr.

We are changing things up here too. Partly because I sense the need for change within my own self and partly because my own family is getting older and changing.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I forced myself to do the last project I had on my list this afternoon. I did get my pantry reorganized. It so small and getting in there is such a hassle, when something falls or is out of sorts I just ignore it and then it piles up. But it's cleared out, my backing pans are reachable and I'm good to go for awhile.

Great job, Michelle! It's hard sometimes just to finish a task that is overwhelming.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
If you have any other gift ideas that would make a left handed person happy, I'm all ears. :D

Here are some things I thought of for us lefties:

can opener
knife sharpener
tape measure
notebooks that don't have coils - they are the worst!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL

can opener
knife sharpener
tape measure
notebooks that don't have coils - they are the worst!![/QUO

Notebooks that open from the top even better.

In college we had chairs with a writing table attached to the side. Very few were left handed and I had to sit sideways in the chair to take class notes. I basically eat and write and hand sew with my left hand just because the right hand world made me adjust to them. I have a kitchen aide stand mixer and love it because the bowl is in the middle and not shoved over so a right handed person and scrape it from the right. Ironing is done right handed because that is how the iron was set up when mom required me to iron. It's weird I know. Oh Oh and using a key to unlock the house door -- right handed so I don't have to cross my body to do it.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I never thought about the notebooks with coils. I just tried to turn the one of my desk around but it sure won't work. Even a binder would be annoying.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

can opener
knife sharpener
tape measure
notebooks that don't have coils - they are the worst!!

Thanks! I will look into these ideas.