HHP - 2019 - Week 16 - Nearly There

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Considering the last 5 weeks, I am happy with the way things are progressing. I have a lot of wrapping to get done as well as baking this week.

Household Checklist
  • Review minimum maintenance plan. Done
  • Delegate chores to family members. Done
Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Bake cookies.Done
  • Bake stollen.
  • Work off Christmas Brunch Prep list.Done
  • Wrap gifts.Done
  • Mail cards. Done

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
In good shape here. I think all the advance things are done except moving the gifts from the basement into the office. I’ll start slowly bring stuff up over the next week.
Today I’ll make my schedule for the couple of days leading up to Christmas so nothing is missed, along with the grocery list to shop on the 23.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Glad to hear you guys are on track. Sounds like we are about the same place. Moving presents. Pondering cookies. I really want to bake this weekend with the kids because so many times we get too busy and we miss that time -- and then we regret it. Driving around to see Christmas lights too!

Amazingly I'm in good shape, considering I've been out of town 2 of the last 4 weeks on separate trips for family reasons. And also considering my house has been torn apart with sheetrocking, painting and the constant movement of the empty containers from our Marie Kondo declutter earlier in the Fall. Have held onto the containers because as each room gets done we always seem to need a different size container of some sort. Well finally we got down to the point where we could get rid of a LOT of them.

Extra furniture is out the door. Sheetrockers are done. Wreckage is removed. Painting is done for now. House is put back together and over last 2 days we cleaned to just short of spotless. There is still much to do on our renovations but we'll tear into things again in February or so, once the holidays are past and kids back in school. It's been sheer madness for the past couple weeks trying to find a place to stash presents, wrap and deal with anything holiday'ish. And OMG having to bury the living room in plastic to protect the tree from sheetrock dust! :)

DH has scored some points this year as he has kept up with the wrapping. (After many bitter years of his non-participation in Christmas we came to an agreement that I would shop and he would wrap. And that has really worked out.). I have to set up the boxes though and do the ribbons. Still, it's a big help. I have some to set up this morning.

Today I think is might be a town day where I shop for the stockings. If you recall I haven't done ANY of the stockings so far because the stockings create clutter and confusion in my wrapping space. I've got the shoe boxes set up for each person with a few small items so far (and becuz we decluttered the space I actually have a spot to put those boxes down). And this morning I'm going over my lists for both gifts and groceries to make sure I have what I need.

Right now I'm being very very thankful that I got rid of as much stuff out of this house as I did in the Fall.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Myron's Mom - How's that list coming along?

Cindylouwho - You're juggling a lot! It sounds like prioritizing is helping.

The cookies are coming along. I baked one batch of "stollen" while talking to my mom on the phone. Not a good idea. I got too distracted and I forgot the citron which I drove 18 miles to buy! :mad: So now it's "glorified fruit and apricot bread." I hope to make another batch in the next couple of days.

After today, I will put my focus on preparing for our Christmas brunch on Sunday.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Just to follow up with how that "Stockings In a Day" plan went: HA! I did get it done in a day and the concept of it went REALLY great and I was able to keep everything in my head and get it home and immediately sorted -- so no packaging everywhere or repeat purchases. But what DIDN'T go so well was that since I waited til 12/18 to do my purchases much of the items were SOLD OUT! I was surprised it took me FOUR stores to find one that had Hershey's Kisses in stock! That's just crazy! The other thing that disappeared were the snack packages in the long skinny size -- things like nuts or jerky. So I think I'll stick with the Stockings in a Day Plan but next year do that shopping by the 10th. I have done candy shopping at Black Friday before but have found some of the candies had gone stale by Christmas so I was more careful about that this time. (Wonder if some old stock gets blown out at Black Friday perhaps?).

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
That sounds like a good plan you've got for the stockings.

But what DIDN'T go so well was that since I waited til 12/18 to do my purchases much of the items were SOLD OUT! I was surprised it took me FOUR stores to find one that had Hershey's Kisses in stock!

I had a similar thing happen to me. There were a few last minute items that I wanted to pick up like candy and teas. I went to Target since I was near it when the thought came to me while driving. The candy was just about gone. They didn't even have the kind I was looking for either. The tea selection wasn't great. Dh ended up going to the grocery store and buying it there for me.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Holiday Mom, My list went perfect except for the one item I wanted to add to the grocery list and could not remember what it was lol. I finally I remembered after I got home from the store. Nobody missed the pomegranate in the fruit salad but me. I actually had time to sit on the couch this week and watch movies during the day so I must have been pretty well organized.
How do the stores run out of kisses at Christmas?? That’s so odd.