HHP - 2019 - Week 2: Calendar and Creativity

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

Household

• Organize creative spaces. Our art supplies are stored on shelves in the basement. I decluttered them in the winter. They are a mess again. Done
  • Take note of any craft supplies that need to be replenished. Done
Holiday Prep
  • Schedule events. Make sure that all extra school music practices in December are on calendar. Talk with family about fun things to do in December. Set up dates for activities and snow dates. Done
  • Review gift lists.Done
  • Start making shopping lists for cold & flu medicines, baking supplies, wrapping supplies, mailing supplies, kitchen supplies, bathroom supplies, and laundry supplies. I’ll start shopping for these items at the end of September/beginning of October. Done
  • Review HHP wrap up notes from last year to see what I wanted to do differently. Make a note of it in the corresponding week of this year’s HHP. Done
  • Inventory unfinished craft projects. Done
  • Begin a "Gifts to Make" list. Thinking on this one... Done

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Schedule events. Make sure that all extra school music practices in December are on calendar. Talk with family about fun things to do in December. Set up dates for activities and snow dates.
I must do this. I do not want December to go by without planning a few activities as a family. Harder when we are all adults but think that it is important to do.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Household:
  • Clear my crafting shelf "hot spots".
  • Dust crafting area

Holiday Prep:
  • Make the Everything Sugar Cookie Dough and Freeze
  • Create a seasonal Calendar (already did this last week. Just put important dates I already have on calendar)
  • Review Master Gift List, Add any new ideas
  • Inventory Craft Projects on hand
  • Begin a "gift to make" list
  • Get Birthday Cards pulled for Oct-Dec

List:
  • Med List for Cold and Flu
  • Mailing Supplies
  • Bathroom & Paper Products
  • Laundry Supplies

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Household:
My craft area is in pretty good shape after the “renovations” earlier this year. I’m in the middle of a quilt right now so any real cleaning is on hold.
This week I’m going to tackle the laundry room and back hall and storage closets. I want to pull everything out and purge.
Holiday prep:
Update my master shopping list so I know exactly what else I need for gifts.
Waiting for husband to decide where he wants to eat thanksgiving dinner so I can make reservations. I’ve already purchased tickets for white christmas for our December date night.
Decide what supplies I need for making Christmas cards.
Decide what special ingredients I need for holiday cooking and order.
Start checking on line for when the Black Friday sales ads will be posted.
Husband asked me if I wanted to go to a holiday craft show so I need to put that day in my planner!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Myron's Mom - I like your December date night. Is that a play or the movie that you are seeing?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm looking up the theater shows right now. Found out one of my favorites Jim Brickman is coming after Christmas this year. I always enjoy seeing him! Thanks for that reminder.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh! Show Tickets! Thank you for the reminder! Really want to make those a present this year. Looking for tix to Hamilton so need to go research my options.

SweetPumpkinpye -- I have to get Christmas events scheduled also. The kid are always SO bummed if we don't get the events in. And it happens too often when things speed up. Christmas Break starts Friday and Christmas is on Wed. I hate that they get out so late!

Doing the 10-year renovations this year and just made a big decision to *cough cough* "hire" a professional organizer who I got on a good reference. In my renovation budget are cabinets and I think my money would be well spent on having someone come in and tell me if I can accomplish some of what I want to do with a little creative rearranging. So I just pulled the trigger on that. Never hired anyone like that before so I'm still practicing my deep breathing that I put the money there instead of into an actual item. I think I won't be sorry in the long run. I'm pretty decluttered already but we do have some issues with the way the house is laid out that keep giving us problems and are a source of conflict. Hopefully this person will help us resolve that. We have one month to get our act together before the sheetrockers come in October.

My craft area is one of those areas. It's in my mudroom entryway and worked awesomely when the kids were small but now they are grown the whole space really needs to be reworked for our current interests.

Week 2 - Calendar & Creative Spaces/Storage/Supplies Week

House:
Schedule home repairs now -- Done. Renovations start early Oct. (Hopefully a 3 wk job or less?)
Schedule Chimney & Carpet Cleaning
Get the office back in order after being neglected over the summer.
Re-check what I didn't get done in Wk 1.

Holiday:

Create a seasonal calendar. Done.
Plan holiday travel. - Done. Kids flights home are booked.
Start a set of tear filesfor ideas, recipes, gifts etc. -- Done. Pinterest board and computer files.
Start a shopping list. Done. Started. Focusing on experiences this year.
Inventory crafts supplies and unfinished projects.
Begin a "Gifts to Make" list.
Schedule family photo session.
Schedule Holiday events.

Other
Cold and Flu supplies -- Need to check.
Mailing Supplies - same.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Doing the 10-year renovations this year and just made a big decision to *cough cough* "hire" a professional organizer who I got on a good reference. In my renovation budget are cabinets and I think my money would be well spent on having someone come in and tell me if I can accomplish some of what I want to do with a little creative rearranging. .

I think that is a great idea. Sometimes, it takes an outside and/or professional to see things that we don't see and to make the best of the situation we have. I hope you get some creative answers to your questions.

We did a splurge on an architect to design an addition (15 yrs. ago) versus a home remodeler. It was the best money we could have spent. He pointed out things we never considered. We took his advice, spent a bit more money but have never regretted one of the suggestions given to us.

My craft area is one of those areas. It's in my mudroom entryway and worked awesomely when the kids were small but now they are grown the whole space really needs to be reworked for our current interests.

We use to use the closet in our mudroom for crafts/games but a few years ago, I switched things out. It is now the "Pantry" and the basement shelves are now home to the crafts/games. I don't know if that would work for you.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
One of the things that came out reviewing notes from last year and talking with my dh is the fact that we have to search for a new tree farm. Last year, we went during our typical weekend. The selection was sparse.

I will also have to decide if we are doing one or two trees this year. Last year, after we got up the live tree, everyone talked about putting up a second tree. So we pulled out the old artificial one from the shed and put it up. However, it was a very chaotic time of the month to do that. I decided then if I were to do it again, the artificial one would go up over Thanksgiving weekend. I have put a note on the calendar to make a decision Thanksgiving week as to whether there will be a second tree put up or not.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I still need to sit down with DD and BF and see what their plans are for the Christmas period. Are they coming Christmas Eve, Christmas Day? What are their plans for NYE. If I know what they are doing it will help with me making plans from this end.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I sorted through the craft shelf and organized it. There is a wooden box that I wanted to paint and use as a tray. I hope to get to that this fall but only for fun. If I put it down on my list to do, it becomes work which, then, is not fun for me.

I think the only gift I'll make is the Christmas ornament I make for the family.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Holiday mom, this white christmas is supposed to be a broadway show. I’ve seen mixed reviews but I’m hopeful it will be fun.
I agree that it’s helpful to hire a professional to help. I would make a list of questions, issues etc so you can make the best use of the time you have ( kinda like going to the doctor lol). We hired a interior decorator to come to our house when we moved in, she was very helpful with the issues we were having.
I managed to finish all the cleaning and purging I wanted to do this week. I also tackled most of the kitchen cabinets. The trash can is flowing over, 2 big boxes of stuff to the thrift shop and a box for my son.
I ordered vanilla and cinnamon from King Arthur since it was on sale.
Husband decided he wanted to eat at home thanksgiving, so I pretty much have a menu worked up for that.
Still working on that updated gift list.
I think I need a play lol.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
The week is almost done and I finally have time to think about it, I didn't have much to do, so I will work on my tasks today.

Household Checklist:

assess craft supplies - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:

create seasonal calendar - done
start a shopping list - done
begin a "Gifts to Make" list - done

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I finally finished this week's tasks. We put some fun stuff on the seasonal calendar that we are looking forward to and I have a few things on the shopping list. I have a few ideas for homemade gifts and written down what I need to buy.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
HolidayMom -- Good idea on swapping out the cupboards. I actually hadn't thought of that (at least not flipping entire storage areas from one side of the house to the other. Will noodle that one. Thank you! And yes, I have a list in progress (by room) as to what needs work or re-thinking in our house. I keep adding! :)

Here's where I ended up at that end of Wk 2:

Week 2 - Calendar & Creative Spaces/Storage/Supplies Week

House:
Clean out craft area -- Still needs work. But I cleaned out all the old Girl Scout stuff that was in there!
Schedule Chimney -- Chimney is now cleaned and first fire of the season is going. *Love!*
Carpet Cleaning - This has to wait til after renovations.
Get the office back in order after being neglected over the summer. -- Several 20 min sessions in.
Re-check what I didn't get done in Wk 1.

Holiday:

Inventory crafts supplies & unfinished projects. -- Many boxes. Need a box for DS's homework crafts.
Begin a "Gifts to Make" list. - These will be cooking if any.
Schedule family photo session.
Schedule Holiday events. -- Entered a few. Pondering skiing.

Other
Cold and Flu supplies -- Need to check. -- Lordy! It took a mishap but we discovered our First Aid kit is seriously outdated. I'm going to go down and buy out the pharmacy and get us up to date. Will have to watch for sales. Added to the list.
Mailing Supplies - Okay for now.