HHP - 2019 - Week 3: Me and Mine Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Household
  • Declutter, clean and organize the Master Bedroom. This shouldn’t be too bad. Dh and I have been keeping up with things over the summer. I’ve noticed that a good number of my shoes need to be replaced. I hate shopping so I wear them until they fall apart. The weather is still warm enough to wear summer clothes so I will sort through those another day in October. Done

Holiday Prep
  • Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, and mailing supplies. Done
  • Review Christmas card list. Done
  • Plan personal pampering sessions for December. Knowing myself all too well, :rolleyes: last year I started a weekly time to myself beginning the third Sunday in October. December is so busy here that I knew that I would find an excuse not to do it. I really enjoyed that time. I did things that I like to do - watch a Christmas movie, read a book, take a walk, get a Pumpkin coffee, etc. Done
  • Go through gift closet and make a list of items bought and for whom. I have picked up some items for bus drivers and other service people. I just need to see how much I have and how much I need to still buy. Done

Last edited:
Reactions: Minta

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I did a deep clean of my bedroom a few weeks ago, but still have some organizing to do. Three of the five drawers in my dresser are an absolute mess, so cleaning them out is going to be a big job.

Household Checklist:

organize closet - DONE
organize dresser drawers - DONE

Holiday Prep Checklist:

inventory Christmas card supplies - DONE
make a Christmas card list
set aside a bin for gifts - DONE

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Last night, we were out of a couple of items from my supplies list that I made last week. I figured if I was going to the store for two items, I might as well go for the whole list. I bought most items but some items were out of stock. I'll get to those in October.

I went through my cards and stamps and realized that I bought extras last year. The card list is up to date. I should be set for this year.

After going through the gift closet, I have discovered a lot more gifts for the bus drivers and service people than I thought. I won't have to buy as much this year. :)

I decluttered the bedroom. I will do more with the clothes when I change them out in October. Windows were cleaned. I have to finish up with dusting and vacuuming.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Master bed room is in good shape. We have been good about keeping all the clutter out of there. And we both have been through our clothes. I just need to dust and polish the furniture. I should take down the curtains and wash. I hope they wash well, I got them at target, I guess if they don’t I can buy new ones:).
All my wrapping supplies are organized and well stocked.
Still need to get busy on my cards and need to make a post office run for stamps.
I’m in good shape for pampering. All my hair appointments, massages, and mani/ pedi appointments are book through January.
The gift closet is in pretty good shape- just need to update the list for my son.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Christmas cards, wrapping paper and gift tags are all in plentiful supply. I have found a greeting for in my Christmas cards and have put aside some time in the planner to sit and write them, need to wait until MHH list is released.

A timely reminder to put aside time for self care over the next few months. I still need to book hair appointments and nail appointments for December, and need to be mindful of finding time for me. A bubble bath, quiet time to read a book etc. will make the busy times more doable.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Plan personal pampering sessions for December. Knowing myself all too well, :rolleyes: last year I started a weekly time to myself beginning the third Sunday in October. December is so busy here that I knew that I would find an excuse not to do it. I really enjoyed that time. I did things that I like to do - watch a Christmas movie, read a book, take a walk, get a Pumpkin coffee, etc.

Love this! A very good idea! How did you keep others from infringing upon your time? I think I'd have to run away to do this. :)

I have started on the Master but still have the area from Weeks 1 & 2 to wrap up. Since the master is the one that is getting sheetrock ripped out, it will be the biggest challenge. The master is also the access to the attic which is currently buried in all of our camping and travel gear from the summer. You can't tell from the bedroom but I "know" that attic is disorganized -- so it bugs me. Will update with a proper checklist tomorrow or so.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Love this! A very good idea! How did you keep others from infringing upon your time? I think I'd have to run away to do this. :)

Last year, I had about one to two hours a week where the children stayed after school. I tried to use that time for me, not food shopping or other household work, just whatever would make me happy. If I did something on the weekend, it was usually early morning if I wanted to go peruse books or visit Bath and Body Works. I usually saved the fun reading for the weekend evenings. I'd tell everyone that I was going to read but before I did, I asked if there was anything that we needed to discuss. If not, I did my reading. If so, we had our discussion and then I read. For the most part, it worked out.

Reactions: Cindylouwho

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Holiday Mom - I'm going to have to hear more about this. I find I literally have to leave to get time to myself. I think it is because our schedules change so much. Today was a good example of that. Thought I'd get some peace and quiet to get stuff done. But no. *Sigh* And I notice I'm more sensitive about it this year. Maybe its because I have a bit much on my plate right now. There's not enough downtime this month!

Anyhoo, I know its Friday but I've had Master Bedroom on my mind and have been working on it. This upcoming renovation needs to START because I'm stressing about falling behind. Trying to focus on what I CAN get done.

Week 3 – The Master Bedrm

House:

Declutter, organize and rejuvenate the Master Bedroom. - Renovation coming soon.
Tackle Clothes Closet -- I've started. Need to change up how I store a few things.

Holiday:
Inventory holiday cards, gift wrap, & mailing supplies.
Make a Christmas card list.
Print labels for Christmas cards - Prefer writing my own, but am bad about getting them out.
Order, buy or print Christmas cards or letters
Plan personal pampering sessions, and add them to December's calendar.
Set aside a gift closet or create a gift box; inventory any previously-purchased gifts. - Uh oh. This is part of the renovation. Will need to move my gift closet temporarily.

Catch up:
Declutter craft space - I have started. I'm going back YEARS. Marie Kondo style. Kids are older.
Declutter Office / Paperwork Center (calendars, paper, bills, mail, etc) - Still going...
Do the family values exercise. Okay, I'll talk to them. But things are changing.
Create a Christmas planning activity center. -- This is getting torn apart completely. Ugh.
Establish a holiday budget.
Set budget & start setting aside the cash.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Not too bad of a week for me. I organized my closet and put away the summer clothes and shoes. I have inventoried my Christmas cards and have a bin set aside to put gifts in

I didn't get much done with the messy dresser drawers, but will continue to work on that this week. I don't send Christmas cards anymore, except the ones for the exchange we do here.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
  • Plan personal pampering sessions for December. Knowing myself all too well, :rolleyes: last year I started a weekly time to myself beginning the third Sunday in October. December is so busy here that I knew that I would find an excuse not to do it. I really enjoyed that time. I did things that I like to do - watch a Christmas movie, read a book, take a walk, get a Pumpkin coffee, etc. Done
Mary, this year I am going to try something like this too. I find that I am so busy doing other things that I find I don't get time to just sit and relax and enjoy the process. Need to set aside some me time.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Holiday Mom - I'm going to have to hear more about this. I find I literally have to leave to get time to myself.

By nature, I'm an introvert. Social activities drain me. I've found that when I go out to stores in the early morning, there are less people to navigate and thus I'm not as drained as I would be in the afternoons. My energy is restored when I spend time alone. My children have grown up knowing that if I tell them that I am going to read or rest, that I really need that time to myself. However, emergencies are different than a question that can wait 20 minutes.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've found that when I go out to stores in the early morning, there are less people to navigate and thus I'm not as drained as I would be in the afternoons. My energy is restored when I spend time alone.

You've just made me feel SO much better! I normally start moving to early morning shopping by November. In light of the temporary chaos, I would prob calm myself down if I started that now. *Breathing* That would give me more time in the day. And pretty soon DS will have his drivers license and that will make a HUGE difference. Thank you -- I feel like I'm struggling to find my groove this year, but maybe it is just September.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have thought about what I might need at our big mall and when is the last time I need to visit. I really don't like being there in December. I dither every year with wanting to go to the mall and soak up the atmosphere of Christmas shoppers and the music, decorations etc and the fact that I hate it all and just want to hibernate until it is all over.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thank you -- I feel like I'm struggling to find my groove this year, but maybe it is just September.

Sometimes just a small schedule change can make or break us. I really thrive on routine but there are just times when the routine goes out the window for one reason or another. Sometimes I have a pity party for myself if it is a big change and then I eventually move on by trying to find a new way to look at the situation.

I dither every year with wanting to go to the mall and soak up the atmosphere of Christmas shoppers and the music, decorations etc and the fact that I hate it all and just want to hibernate until it is all over.

Totally understand this! Have you ever gone with the intent of not buying but just soaking it all up? I wonder if that would be helpful. Also, the time of day or the day of the week could play a part in how you feel. There are more people on a Saturday afternoon at the mall than say, a Tuesday night.