HHP - 2019 - Week 4: Close To Home Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm going to work on the Family Room this week.

Household Prep
  • Declutter, clean and organize Family Room. Cleaned and Organized.

Holiday Prep
  • Make spruce up list. Done.
  • Begin collecting stocking stuffers. Done
  • Decide on Halloween costumes. Ack! Halloween! I have to ask about this... Done
  • Think ahead to family Advent celebrations. Check to see if we have enough Advent candles. Done
  • Start working on Christmas cards or letters.
  • Take note of birthdays and anniversaries.
  • Rudolph Day is this week - Wrap up gifts that have been bought. Done

Last edited:
Reactions: Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’ve been working on that guest room closet. So atleast most of that is done. The room itself is easy to clean. I would like to make some new curtains and husband said he will hang pictures. Not sure if that will happen.
Will polish all the furniture this week (manicure is Friday lol).
I’d like wrap some but I hope apples will be ready to make apple sauce so that’s a priority this week.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Here's my plan for the week. Back later to chat!

Week 4: Kids & Hallway Rooms

House:
Get a Reality Check on the budget and spending. Focus.
Renovation list- Complete my list of home improvements to complete by holidays. - Yep, on it!
Declutter children's toys. -- DS is dismantling his room. Slowly.

Holiday:
Begin collecting stocking stuffers. -- I need to discuss this. Need to change it up, Different thread.
Hit the back-to-school clearance sales.
Consult the kids and decide on Halloween costumes.
Plan family Advent celebrations.
Divide the Christmas card list into five sections. -- Need a new plan for Christmas cards.

Catch up:
Figure out Christmas card plan - This will be a 1-day thing for me. I think. Might have to order.
Ponder personal pampering sessions.
Set aside a gift closet to use during renovation. Start repurposing rooms.
Finish decluttering craft space. -- Still going....
Declutter Office / Paperwork Center -- Still going... Taxes due
Talk to family about what most important at holidays.
Set aside budget holiday budget -- Prob next month.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I am planning on helping my teenage daughter clean the abyss she calls her bedroom this week. My son's room is no where near as bad. We just need to tackle his shelving units and purge some (a lot) of toys. Friday night is reserved for decorating the outside for Halloween.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Checking in to wish everyone luck in the plan this week. I'm MIA for one more week on another trip and then I'll be back to join in again and play a little catch up.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Household Checklist:

Daughter's room:
putty walls - done
wash window - done
vacuum - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
make seasonal spruce up list
make stocking stuffer list
decorate for Fall/Thanksgiving - done

Last edited:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Clawed my way through decluttering my mudroom/craftroom. Steeled myself to pitch half of the kids artwork from Kindergarten through graduation. Ha!! Most of it stayed! I know I should just take photos of it, but I can't bring myself to let it go. Now they each have separate piles though so each will get a craft box of their stuff. But the room is in much better shape - though I still have tons of paint cans and painting supplies from where I left off at the beginning of the summer. Time to get back to it!

Started to tackle the guest room closet where I store my old suits (which are really not that old). Was shocked to see they were too big and had *gasp* shoulder pads! I'm going to see if I can save the ones that fit me by removing the shoulder pads to make them more current. If it doesn't work they gotta go. Some nice stuff in there that I was hoping to give to DD. This is a tough one. Same thing happened last week with my shoe closet. Let go of a several pairs of pumps. Styles have changed. I was pretty ruthless on my closets a couple years back, so it's not like I have tons in there to work with. I'm slowly rebuilding the classic pieces though and working on clothing capsules.

Got DD's Thanksgiving reservations made for her and a group of her friends in college. Researched some places for us since there will just be a few of us and I hope to go out this year. (Especially if the house is torn apart).

Keeping an eye out for stuffers but don't have much yet. Trying to be more practical this year.

Got new dividers for my bullet journal and got it all up to date. I feel much more together now. (This is just my daily operations notebook. My "real" brain is in my phone! ;)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm just struggling to get things done this week. o_O Thursday through Sunday were packed days helping with a festival. Monday was my recovery day. Yesterday and today were spent catching up on things that didn't get done since last Wednesday. I'm hoping to get some Christmas momentum going so I can work off more from the list.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Was shocked to see they were too big and had *gasp* shoulder pads!
LOL! That was too funny. I forgot about shoulder pads. It sounds like you are off to a good start.

I picked up some things for the stockings. I want to get some of the things that I've bought wrapped this week. I'm going to have an "all hands on deck" clean up session in the family room either today or Friday. This week has been full of surprises and I need extra help.

One of the surprises is that I saw a doctor today about leg issues and I will need two procedures done on my veins. One will be in mid November and the other will be four weeks later. I will really have to prioritize what I want to get done. I can not procrastinate. This recovering perfectionist will ask for help. :eek: This is something that is hard but necessary if I want to be happy and ready for Christmas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
One of the surprises is that I saw a doctor today about leg issues and I will need two procedures done on my veins. One will be in mid November and the other will be four weeks later. I will really have to prioritize what I want to get done. I can not procrastinate. This recovering perfectionist will ask for help. :eek: This is something that is hard but necessary if I want to be happy and ready for Christmas.
I have absolute faith that you will be ready and sail through both procedures.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have absolute faith that you will be ready and sail through both procedures.

Thank you. I've already reached out to family and friends to let them know. It's been a crAzY day. My brother was admitted to the hospital today. Yesterday, our longtime family friend died.

Reactions: luludou

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Thank you. I've already reached out to family and friends to let them know. It's been a crAzY day. My brother was admitted to the hospital today. Yesterday, our longtime family friend died.

Prayers for you and yours! So sorry for your loss.

Furniture is all polished except in husbands office. We will tackle that room together.
I started cleaning the sunroom yesterday. I have never seen so many cobwebs. It’s already for Halloween in there lol. I took down the valences and they were sticky from all the webs. All the glass and valences are cleaned. Will put valences up after husband helps me with all the high cleaning. My vertigo and ladders do not mix. Next week is solid packed with appointments so most likely won’t be finish until the following week.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have never seen so many cobwebs. It’s already for Halloween in there lol. I took down the valences and they were sticky from all the webs.

Ah, yes, the cobwebs... I always debate about taking them down before Halloween. LOL. You reminded me that I need to change out the valences in our living room and dining room. Those two rooms are dark in the spring and summer due to the shade. I like to use a lighter color in that room and then a darker color for fall and winter.

I cancelled 2 meetings today that were going to drain me even more. Instead, I listened to a Hallmark show while wrapping gifts and working off the list. That was a much better decision. :)

The family room is cleaned. The decluttering will have to wait until next week or the week after. I don't think there is much to declutter in there.

Christmas cards will have to wait until next week.

Dh saw me wrapping stocking stuffings and just laughed. He's heard me talking about HHP for a number of years but I don't think he quite understood how early the Christmas prep really does start in our house until today. :p

I was going through the tote where I keep stocking stuffers and some of the gifts before they are wrapped. I found a bunch of stuff sitting at the bottom underneath plastic bags that I forgot about. Some will be donated because my children have outgrown the items. :rolleyes:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I got the work done in K's room. It will get painted next year along with the rest of the rooms in the house. Decorating for Fall/Thanksgiving is done, the place looks good.

The seasonal spruce up exercise has already been done, I have a master list of things that need to be taken care of, so I will work off of that list.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got the work done in K's room. It will get painted next year along with the rest of the rooms in the house. Decorating for Fall/Thanksgiving is done, the place looks good.

The seasonal spruce up exercise has already been done, I have a master list of things that need to be taken care of, so I will work off of that list.

You're doing great! :)

Reactions: happy2bme

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007

Sorry to hear this. Wishing you strength!