HHP - Week 2: Calendar and Creativity

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This Week's Household Checklist:
  • Declutter and clean creative spaces. I need to straighten up the craft supply area and the party decor area. DONE
  • Assess stored crafts materials. I should be good to go but I will double check on these items. DONE

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist:
  • Create a seasonal calendar. School schedules were coming in fast and furious this week. I will go through the school calendars and put games, lessons, concerts on the paper calendar and Google calendar. DONE
  • Go through magazines and save decoration ideas. I have a ton to go through. This is a good excuse for me to slow down and read them.
  • Revisit my shopping lists from last year. I want to make notes of changes or additions. DONE
  • Review gift lists. I’ll check to see if clothing/shoe sizes have changed since last year. DONE
  • Inventory unfinished crafts projects. I have some things in the craft area that I need to decide whether to finish or pitch it. Ugh! I hate facing this part of my life. Lots of unfinished things... DONE
  • Begin a "Gifts/Decor to Make" list. I’m not sure if making something is realistic this year. I will think about this some more. DONE
Still to Do:
  • Budget Talk Dh has been working OT all week. I haven't been able to sit down and talk about this yet. DONE
  • Rework location of bill paying system. Working on the paper clutter in the office area and beyond this past week has made me rethink how I'm doing things. What worked years ago doesn't seem to be working as well these last few years. DONE

Last edited:

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I will be spending most of my day organizing my craft room. About three years ago I put most of my craft stuff away other than my scrapbooking stuff because we put a new addition on the house. Today is the day I pull it all out, organize it, and decide what to keep and what to throw away or giveaway.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Farmerswife - How's the craft room organizing going?

I sorted through the craft area this summer and completely forgot about it until I went to the shelves. There was very little to do which me made happy. I am good to go now.

I started on putting all the school/sports/music activities on the calendars. We keep one in the kitchen and a digital one so dh can access from work. Still have a ways to go but I'm getting there!

I have a shopping list broken down into the several categories. I thought about all the items that I use in each category and made my list from there. I've learned the hard way that there are some items that I need to double up on like dishwasher soap, paper towels, toilet paper, trash bags, etc. I set these items aside on a shelf in our basement for Christmas week. If I run out of them during a party, then I can go to the basement for it. Doing this has given me peace of mind for the last two years. Here are the categories that I use:
  • Gift Wrap Station Items
  • Mailing Supplies
  • Christmas Decorations
  • Wardrobe Shopping
  • Laundry Supplies
  • Bathroom Supplies
  • Cough and Cold
  • Kitchen Supplies
  • Party Goods

Reactions: farmerswife

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Everything is out of boxes and sorted into categories. Now I need to make run to IKEA to buy some organizing carts, a bookcase and some table top organizers. Then I will be able to finish it up. Hoping by Sunday it should be finished.

My calendar is all set, that is everything that I know that is coming this Holiday season is on there. Of coarse I am leaving room for a few serendipitous moments and events.

Holiday-Mom....Great idea in the stocking up for parties.

Reactions: housewife2

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Hello ladies,

I am late to game, but I am off the bench and finally playing! I am so glad to join everyone again this year. Thankfully I have my binder complete and week 1 was pretty much done before it started. Here are my plans for week 2:

Create a calendar - It seems I have calendars everywhere (on my phone, school calendar, kitchen calendar) and I want to make a master.

Review Master Gift List - I want to make sure that this is caught up and accurate.

Gifts to Bake List - I am not crafty so I do not craft, but I bake and give cookies as gifts to quite a few friends, so I make a gifts to bake list.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hello ladies,

I am late to game, but I am off the bench and finally playing! I am so glad to join everyone again this year. .

<wave> It's good to see you here again, Kelly!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Everything is out of boxes and sorted into categories. Now I need to make run to IKEA to buy some organizing carts, a bookcase and some table top organizers.

Oh, IKEA... I love browsing through their catalog. One of my Christmas gifts last year was new dining room chairs of my choice. We looked at different places online but I loved the style of IKEA's chairs so we went there and picked up 6 INGOLF chairs and 2 INGATORP chairs. We've been very happy with them so far. I'd love to hear what you ended up getting.

Reactions: farmerswife

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My number one priority this week is revamping the bill paying area and going through all the paper work in the cabinets and drawers. I have two more drawers to go through and a box of papers to be re-filed.

I decided that I will work on finishing two crafts that I started ages ago. I forgot about them until recently while in my decluttering mode.

Another activity calendar came in today. I'll work on that this week and hopefully that will be it for a while.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
So is this the time I go through last years holiday magazines I never read? I get hand me down magazines from my mother in law and it's closer to Christmas when I get them and then it's just to busy to read them. All year I'm going to "save" them for the right moment and never get to them. Maybe THIS IS THE WEEK!! :D

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My binder is good to go...and I cleaned my "launch pad" holiday basket. Don't know what else to call it. But it's my home base during the holidays for pens, tape, notepads, stickers, etc. I tend to ignore it the rest of the year and it gets full of kitty and doggy hair. So I gave it a good dusting and revamped it with new baggies and such. I also keep my electronic cords in their for different things I don't use all the time.

My big goal will be to clear my desk and crafting area table. Seems we've been dumping stuff in this area the past month, so I need to put all that stuff away before I can do the formal paperwork filing and crafting clean up. I've combined them since they are all in the same area. I made a big dent today by putting all the big stuff away where it goes in a pantry/laundry room area, now I need to go through misc papers and just all the small stuff in piles. I should get that done tomorrow.

I also got my front porch swept, my windows area washed with the hose and then cleaned the windows with glass cleaner. I have a pretty big window pane out front, so I'm happy it's done. I'll add it to my to-do list this week to wash the inside windows and they'll be sparkling and ready for the Christmas tree (with a quick dog slobber clean up when the time gets closer).

I'm on a mission this week...Trying to kick things into high gear.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi Kelly! Welcome back!

Running out the door right now but wanted to get this posted.

I was out of town this past weekend so my Week 1 ended early. I kinda combine Week 1 & Week 2 in my brain as they involve my office. Spent a chunk of time in there with DH, both tossing stuff out and doing some head scratching. We want to re-work the paper flow in there. Will post on it separately.

Got a jump on the week's ahead by checking out my Emergency Supply list -- since it is so top of mind on the news right now. Praying for everyone in the path of Hurricane Florence! Will talk more when I'm not racing.

Week 2 - Calendar & Creative Spaces Week

Home:
Get the critters calmed down --
The pets in this house are all unsettled with all the people moving in and out of here over the past month. Its been a real problem. Will be the biggest issue this week. One kitty is in her final days with cancer. :( (She's my baby so I'm heartbroken.)
Create a seasonal calendar -- Working on it. Curriculum Night is tonight.
Schedule: furnace checks, carpet cleaning, a family photo session and chimney cleaning.
Inventory crafts supplies and unfinished projects. -- this is part of the office revamp.

Holiday:
Plan holiday travel -
Will DD come home at Thanksgiving. This is the question. Am I doing any more traveling before Christmas? Another question.
Start a set of tear files -- This is all digital.
Start shopping list -- Underway and thought of a few more items this week I can add.
Begin a "Gifts to Make" list -- I have to talk to the kids about this.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
So is this the time I go through last years holiday magazines I never read? I get hand me down magazines from my mother in law and it's closer to Christmas when I get them and then it's just to busy to read them. All year I'm going to "save" them for the right moment and never get to them. Maybe THIS IS THE WEEK!! :D

I know, right? I'm so ready to kick back and relax with some magazines and a cup of coffee. I think I will save that job for Friday or Saturday.

Reactions: luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Michelle - It's good to see you here! It sounds like you are off to a good start.

Cindylouwho - I was also thinking about the Emergency Supplies this week. I was waiting to see where Florence was tracking to see if I needed to go out sooner than later to replenish things. We will be ok but we visited the Charleston area this summer. I can't help but think of all those people that we met and wonder how they are doing.

Whew! I finished revamping the bill paying system and I went through the final two drawers. I am so glad that is done! That is just something I didn't feel like doing but I also knew that posting here for accountability would motivate me to get it done.

I got the school schedules and after school activities schedules on all of the home calendars.

Sizes for clothes and shoes have been updated.

Now I have to catch up on the regular housework, menu planning, and shopping. LOL!

Reactions: luludou

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Just came back from IKEA, didn’t find much that I was looking for, but did get a table top organizer for my December Daily. Will just have to keep looking. :)

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Overall all, it was a good week.

I got through the 2016/2017 October issues of "Country Living" and "Martha Stewart's Living." I need to go through their November and December issues.

I decided that I'd like to make a food gift for some friends. It's more of a thinking of you Christmas gift. If I don't get to it, then I'll be okay with it.

How did everyone else do this past week? Any updates that you'd like to share?

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Just lit up the first fire of the season in the wood stove about 30 minutes ago! Now that it is crackling, all is now right with the world. (*swoon*) Hopefully we will get another warm stretch to get it cleaned out before we get too far into Autumn.

Home:
Get the critters calmed down --
Kitty Territory Wars -- still continuing. Got some of it figured out.
Create a seasonal calendar -- Several dates added. More to come....
Schedule: furnace checks, carpet cleaning, a family photo session and chimney cleaning. -- Nope.
Inventory crafts supplies and unfinished projects. -- In process....
Office & Paper -- Didn't get much more time in the office this week. Moves to Week 3 so I'll have to start doubling up my to-dos to stay on track. But I did get some other things done.

Holiday:
Plan holiday travel -
Requested DD's college test dates so I can get this figured out.
Start a set of tear files -- This is all digital.
Start shopping list -- Added more items to the list.
Begin a "Gifts to Make" list -- I have to talk to the kids about this. -- Nope.

Plus:
Holiday Budget
-- Discussed this week with DH. We'll set aside the money this week (while we still have money to work with) to help cover Christmas. That money will go back into the account in December when we are more poor.
Stocking Stuffers -- I actually got a couple things! I usually am not good at starting this early enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Cindylou I'm dreaming of a fire right now. It's still so hot in Colorado. Today we had a record high in the 90's. Didn't hear how high it got, but 90's are too hot for September. I'm ready to pull out the long sleeves and jackets!!

I'm running behind this week, but I still plan on doing my filing tomorrow. I got side tracked with canning in the kitchen. Ooops!!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Cindylouwho, isn't it funny that no sooner than you get your child set up in college that you have to start thinking about picking up at the end of the semester?