HHP - Week 5 - House Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Since I jumped ahead last week, this week's assignments are almost done.

Household Checklist
  • We don’t have a guest room or guests staying over. I'll use this week to catch up on general housework.

Holiday Prep Checklist

• Decorate for autumn. Some finishing touches need to be done.
  • Work on Christmas cards. I started some cards last week. I'll work on some more this week.
Still to Do:
  • Consult the kids and decide on Halloween costumes.
  • Need to pick up some more stocking stuffers. I forgot to write down specific brands/colors before I went out last week.
Here's to a productive week!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Halloween costumes are ready. Need to check to see what makeup we might need. Usually by now we have ideas for next year but none so far.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Halloween costumes are ready. Need to check to see what makeup we might need. Usually by now we have ideas for next year but none so far.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Don't have any idea for my Costume this year or dh's. we have been invited to a party with friends. What are your costumes Diedra?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am behind from last week, so I will use this week to catch up. I don't have a guest room to deal with, so that helps.

I have gone through all the Christmas decorations and sent a box to the thrift store.

I need to put together a stocking stuffer list for K and work on cards.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Need to work on the stockings too. Ordered a gift on ebay today for dnephew. Now if I can find some Pokemon cards..

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
For this year DD will be a Rabbit in a Hat.
http://www.spirithalloween.com/prod...bbit in a hat&thumbnailIndex=2&Search=Find+It

I am always a witch.

Past times for DD:
Angel
Devil
Half Angel/Half Devil-won first place
Baby on the back, I don't want to grow up--honorable mention
And Riding an Ostrich--won first place

We split the Angel and Devil costumes, devil in the back and angel in the front with a zipper make up. Face an angel with the unzipped zipper a devil.

http://www.spirithalloween.com/prod...d=adult baby&thumbnailIndex=24&Search=Find+It
http://www.spirithalloween.com/prod...adult ostrich&thumbnailIndex=1&Search=Find+It

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Cute rabbit in the hat! I remember the half devil / angel pics :)

Tell Vanessa she will be a hit!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Because I switched around last week. Im working in Luke's room this week. Its tidy and pretty clean but there a few marks on walls etc....
We are however, having a big declutter! Last year at this time he was just not ready to part with some of his older toys. This year its not a problem! Some will donated to charity, some will be moved to storage and others will be tossed. Some others are due for a clean- his much loved Donald Duck is one of them!

Being sports mad - not just swimming- I had no idea just how much sports equipment that he had accumulated and how much Lego does one child need????

We are mostly done- with the actual room bit now on to the closet! Again some will be donated, others tossed and some packed away for next winter. I need to check what (if anything) fits from last summer and get out some of the new stuff that I bought last year at the end of summer on sale.

Christmas prep is going well. I picked up a couple of new ornaments today. Am progressing on lists- I have most of the stuff- just need to work out what will be for Christmas and what is held back for birthdays etc.... Craft ornaments are mostly finished.

All in all Im pretty happy with the progress so far....

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm still stuck in the master bedroom. Did not get the walls painted as planned. Just being lazy really lol. So I will try again this week since my guest bedroom was done weeks ago as it's also my home office and creativity area.

For several years I've been wanting a new bed frame. There's one in Ikea that I've been looking at for quite some time. I've always wanted a nice high headboard. I think I'm going to break down and get it next month. Yep, I'm getting it!

And my fall decorations went up last week.

So other than trying to paint, I need to
[ ] Inventory holiday decorations
[ ] Look for Christmas cards

I'm finally starting to see Christmas in the stores. Yey! Will check them out this week.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I've fallen behind a little myself. I knew the office/craft room would be a MAJOR ordeal and definitely take longer than a week but the results are amazing. I will get started on my guest (Grandchildren's) room today. I've been busy trying to come up with a card design I want to make and use this year. DH has blocked my entire wall of racks where my Christmas stuff is at so I cannot get to it to inventory at this time. I've been so busy getting the office and craft room done that I've neglected all of my Cinderella duties so it's time to get with it so I can enjoy my holidays.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ahorsesoul - That is a cute costume idea. My daughter wants to be a bat and I've found a simple costume that I can put together.

Mel - Good job on the decoration declutter! Someone will be happy when they find your decorations at the thrift shop.

Tanya - I can relate to the parting of the toys. We are currently in this phase. Some go and some remain.

Ellen - If the results are amazing then I'm betting you are thrilled. Great job!

Laurie - I hope you had a nice vacation.

Autumn decorating is done. The costume is picked out. I worked on some more cards this week. This is big for me. I have procrastinated greatly on this the past two years. This year, I'm plugging along. It helps to have movies set up to watch as I write. :)

I picked up some more stocking stuffers and wrapped them. Some of the items I wanted to buy still aren't in stock so I think this will be an ongoing project of looking for things during these next two months.

I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm at this point in the plan. I think part of it is the fact that the children are getting older and so I get pockets of time at home where I'm not needed constantly. The other thing is that I've been saying no to outside requests to be on committees, etc. in order to say yes to getting the house decluttered, organized and peaceful again. I'm seeing the fruits of my labor in my attitude and presence. I should have done this sooner. :(

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Mary - you are doing fantastic! :D

Saying no to outside requests gives someone else the opportunity to say yes. :)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Hubby was sick earlier this week so between that and getting things ready for our Daughters birthday this weekend I am so behind ... UGH ...

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Tanya ~ Way to go! That's inspiring! I'll be working on getting piles out of here too!
Holiday Mom ~ I'm looking online for Stocking Stuffers right after this! Gotta get some in my shopping cart!
Minta ~ We'll catch up!

Week 5 - Guest Room Update:
I've been out of town all this past week. It was probably a good week to go since my Guest Room is already occupied and I had the kids clean up their rooms last weekend. DD will need some serious attention in her closet. What a hoarder! She cleaned it this time last year but is really in need of a reality check. I offered to do the whole thing for her if she needed help. She replied: "NO! You'll just get rid of everything!!". :) Cuz I AM really helpful that way. ;) With Homecoming approaching she really won't have time for it for a couple weeks. So it is getting shelved for now.

Will put a huge list into Week 6. Much to do next week to get back on track. Also just found out I will have to be traveling in early December. Argh!! I will have to really have to plan ahead so that doesn't screw up my holiday prep schedule!

Meanwhile ~ Our deck and siding is coming along SUPER nicely and DH has the wood stove hauled out into the middle of the living room while he repairs crack in the chimney. (Glad that is happening before the first frost!) As soon as he is done I can put up the Halloween decor!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am caught up for this week.

I have ordered a few stocking stuffers for DD and have some ideas for a few more.

I have decided that I won't be making my cards this year, so I ordered them from Amazon. I am not going to beat myself up over this decision. I only have so much time and energy and there are so many other things that need my attention. :):rolleyes:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
We are almost done with Luke's room. We have gone over EVERY, single item, piece of paper, old school book, stuffed toy, Lego piece. There is still one small area to go. It got put on hold because he has had friends here but I am soooooooo happy with the progress. It won't be a drama to get it finished early this week. Which will be fine as closets/ wardrobes flow through into next week. I can see a massive difference in Luke's space.

Christmas prep is flowing along nicely. Cards are out (ready to write) Craft ornaments nearly done; just need a final coat of varnish for shine and maybe some glitter. Pantry items are growing with each visit to the shops. Laybye items are being paid off and the balance owing is going down- I laybye more for storage and ease of knowing what I have already rather than last minute shopping.

There are usually some really good specials this time of year on wine/ champagne so if I see anything that appeals to me, I will pick up the teacher/ coach gifts sooner rather than later. Paper, tags, ribbon etc... is in an easy to get to place so I can wrap some when Luke goes back to school in a week and a half.

Last edited: