HHP - Week 8 - Family Space Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Has anyone grown amaryllis bulbs before? I think I may have done that years ago but it never took off. Any tips?

Here's my list:

Household

• Declutter and organize books, DVDs, video games, games. Done
  • Clean Family Room. Done
Holiday Prep
  • Decorate for Halloween. Done
  • Get dd’s Halloween costume finished.
  • Buy Halloween candy. Done
  • Find Christmas CDs/DVDs. Done
  • Make a list of daily/weekly holiday maintenance plan for the family to follow. Done
  • Write Christmas cards.
Still To Do
  • Buy bathroom supplies. Done
  • Declutter and organize laundry area. Done

Last edited:
Reactions: Minta

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I don't have a lot to do in the "Family Space" this week as it was all put together a couple of weeks ago when my daughter moved out of the dining room. :):p:D;)

I have a few tasks to do and as soon as I feel better, I will finish the bathroom from last week. :eek:

Household Checklist:
organize & declutter movies - DONE
organize & declutter book shelf - DONE

Holiday Prep Checklist:

create a holiday housework plan - DONE
work on Christmas cards

Last edited:

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I dont have a lot to do in the family rooms this week.
There is nothing much to de-clutter. This room can become a bit of a hold all so I have been really onto the clutter in recent months- we need and use everything in this space. Its just that things don't always find their way back to where they belong.
It is regularly deep cleaned- I will get Luke to go through his games and see if there are any he does not want. He tends to do this anyway and most of the Xbox games are stored on the hard drive.

I did also fall behind last week. I still need to finish up a few things from the bathrooms. Mostly just re-stocking items.

Christmas Prep is on track so Im happy there. Laybyes are now down to just a few $ left on each and Im using the stores for storage more than anything else. I need to set a date in mid November to go and get them all- I like to do it all in one go. I will then set aside a wrapping day to do Luke's things.
then probably another day to do mine, shared gifts, Merlin and Kelso's.

Gifts we give to others can be done when Luke is around- he helps!

I did pick up Teacher gifts of champagne- saw a great deal so snapped it up.

Last week I tended to focus on shopping/ Christmas prep so will devote more time this week to the house stuff.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Not much to do in the living room except for DS toys. We do need to start purging soon or moving some to his bedroom as the area where his toys are is where the Christmas tree will be going. We will do a deep cleaning of this room along with the dinning room the weekend before thanksgiving ..

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mel - great news on the dining room!

Tanya - My mom and I were just talking about laybye or layaway as we call it here. My mom use to do that as a way to store the Christmas gifts and spread the cost of gifts over a few months. I noticed one of the larger stores around here is offering it this year.

Minta - I'm starting to think more about where the tree gets placed too. We have to move furniture in order for it to fit.

I got a few things done today. I walked past Halloween candy as I went to buy milk so I picked some candy up. I made a holiday maintenance plan for the family and double checked to make sure the CD/DVD holiday basket was on the storage shelf. I keep the basket accessible so that when I find the stray Christmas DVD or stray Christmas CD in March, I can put it away without a hassle.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Books, DVDs, video games and board games have been sorted through and organized. I found some Barbie videos that we no longer watch.

The laundry area from last week got finished today too.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Just got the relatives and the dogs out the door this morning. Sigh...... can you hear the quiet? :) Did an overall pickup of the place this morning and it isn't too bad. Lots of laundry to do and since one of the dogs that was visiting was a puppy I'll now be scheduling a carpet cleaning too. But I was going to do it anyway, so that isn't too bad. What a scamp she is! (We miss her already!)

Not too much on my list for the Family Space Week other than general housekeeping. It is in good shape. Hoping to knock out some other projects and do some catching up. Will come back and add/edit-in my catch up list later. MUCH to catch up on! Right now though -- I need a nap! Exhausted!

Family Space Week (Family & Play Room)
  • Make a music check -- Check Spotify for holiday tune lists
  • Create a holiday housework plan. Negotiate & print a family chore checklist form.
  • Christmas Cards!
  • Declutter CDs and DVDs. - Marie Kondo these. Dreading this.
  • FlyLady Zone of the Week - Uhm... have to go look what it is.

Still To Do......
  • DD's closet -- scheduled for this coming Saturday
  • Get clothing sizes for family members.
  • Stocking Stuffers
  • Purchase Halloween costumes.
  • Computer restore. -- Underway.... Need to get back to it....
  • Art -- decide what to keep then ditch the rest. Need to break into baby steps.

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I decluttered and organized the books and movies. I did the books a little while ago, so only two to go, but had several movies.

My daughter, who works in a library, will give them to her boss to see if she wants to put them into circulation, if not, they will go into the pile for the sale they are having before Christmas. The money raised will help to pay for things the library needs, either way it's a win situation.
:):)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got out the Halloween decorations and wrote some cards out yesterday. I'm hoping to get to the costume this weekend. I have to go to the library today so I hope to pick up the bathroom supplies afterwards.

Cindylouwho - I've heard of Spotify but I'm not familiar with it. Is this a subscription service? Do they have pre-programmed holiday song lists?

Mel - I love the library. I'm sure it's an interesting place to work with all the people that walk through the doors.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
HolidayMom~ Good job on the cards! Regarding Spotify, the music app, yes it does have Holiday music. I originally got the subscription for my teen daughter with kind of an eye-roll at the time because I didn't really think she needed it with all the other music apps out there. Well then after trying for a bit I fell in love with it myself and found myself going back in time and loading up all the music I listened to in high school! It's $15 for a family plan (so 5 people). I know Apple Music has been really upping their game over the past year or so to compete so that is worth checking out too.

Update on Week 8:
Much much done this week. (Wrecked the living room to do it. ;) But it will go back together quickly.) Spent yesterday loading the living room to the ceiling with all the stuff in DD's closet. DH came in and his jaw hit the floor -- but after an early warning by me, he was good and gave her an "Atta girl". After being initially hostile to the whole project she really cleaned out a lot. Her closet now looks great and I was able to reduce my empty container pile considerably (they one I've had building from a year of Marie Kondo). Got rid of some of her old beat-up containers and swapped them for nice ones. Now that her room is done I finish up the Master (because when my kids clean they often shove stuff into my room). But it was not so bad this time. This time she kept a sentimental box and the rest is leaving. Nice!

Family Space Week (Family & Play Room)

• Make a music check -- Check Spotify for holiday tune lists. DONE.
  • Create a holiday housework maintenance plan. DONE.
  • Christmas Cards! Still no. Ugh.
  • Declutter CDs and DVDs. - DONE.
  • FlyLady Zone of the Week - Upstairs/Playroom -- DONE.

Still To Do......
  • DD's closet -- scheduled for this coming Saturday. DONE.
  • Get clothing sizes for family members. DONE.
  • Stocking Stuffers
  • Purchase Halloween costumes. HALF-DONE.
  • Computer restore. -- Underway.... Need to get back to it.... APPLE APPT SET.
  • Art -- decide what to keep. Need to break into baby steps. Baby Step: SORTED.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom