Holiday Giving 2018...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am started to get excited for holiday giving opportunities this year!

Several things are going on via work so far! Local gradeschool has an unexpected gap in feeding 30 families for Thanksgiving and we've put out the call to our department (a large one!) to help.

We all get free turkeys via work and I plan to donate mine - plus however many more I can pick up!

Then they are collecting for food pantry and clothing for the homeless shelter - I have a pile of things I was going to take to Goodwill that I'll bring in instead.

And then our little team (11 people) are going to adopt a family or two - which is my favorite part!

What kind of things do you guys have in mind for this year? I always just wish I could do more...

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
Where I used to work we always adopted a family, and collected food and things for the local animal shelter. Loved that. My new place doesn't do that. I was hoping to find an Angel Tree somewhere, and buy for a couple children that way. Or find a Toys for Tots donation box.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
The local boy scouts will be doing a food drive soon which we donate to and DH's is doing a toy and clothing drive to help needy kids for Christmas so I will be on the hunt for some deals on BF so we can donate to it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
horsemama - Do you have a mall nearby, I always see an Angel tree there - the mall office could probably tell you.

The main place I see Toys for Tots drop boxes is Walgreens...will keep an eye out!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We do a few things here to try and spread some Christmas joy to others.Our family always donates to the K-Mart wishing tree. Will will put 15-20 parcels under the tree. We buy for people who don't often receive gifts, Teenage boys, Grandparents etc. We find that most donations are for the younger kids so try and donate to others.

DD and I are also donating 25 care packages this year to a local shelter. Lucie had mentioned it at the beginning of the year and I thought it was a wonderful idea.. I have collected, sox, tissues, hand sanitizer, combs, tooth brush and paste, shampoo and conditioner and a few other little items. We will bag them up in the next week or so and then deliver them to the shelter office.

We always donate to our libraries food drive, something simple. A few tins of non perishable food can go a long way to help.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Katrina you are doing better than me, I have not started the homeless bags :(

At work there is a food drive too. I give to cancer for my deceased niece's gift too.​

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina you are doing better than me, I have not started the homeless bags :(

At work there is a food drive too. I give to cancer for my deceased niece's gift too.​

Lucie, thank you for the suggestion.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We have a sister church that our church sponsors for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They give us a list of foods to buy and then they'll be delivered to them in two weeks. At Christmas, we take a gift tag from the Christmas tree at church and purchase the item on the tag and return it to the church the week before Christmas.

Our schools do food drives in November for the local food pantries. At Christmas, they fill stockings with necessities for the people in the local nursing homes.

I buy toys on Black Friday and donate to Toys For Tots.

horsemama

MHH Member
Jun 22, 2011
Aunt Jamelle,

The nearest mall is about 45 minutes from me, but I'm planning on making it there one of these weekends to do some Christmas shopping. I do have a Walgreens close to me. I'll look there for Toys for Tots.

Thanks!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We've gathered 22 turkeys in our department - and I picked up one more last night!

I've got $100 worth of donations too - planning on getting potatoes at Aldi with some of the $ - need to see if anyone else wants to chip in $ before I go shopping again. All of the food is due Monday.

Our list for our adopted family came out too so I need to look at that and start planning - we got a single dad with 4 kids this year.

This weekend I will go through and take photos of all the clothing we are donating to the homeless shelter (for tax records) and then I'll bring that all in on Monday too. I need to remember to go through my sock drawer - I heard on news this morning that they really need hats, scarves, gloves and socks. I know I have some socks I never wear because they are too warm for me - they do no good just sitting in my drawer!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, what a wonderful gift to forward on to others.
Over the years I realise more and more that if we can give then we should.

For our office Christmas party this year we are donating money in an envelope (anonymously) and we will donate to a charity that we are yet to decide on. As we are all women I think something like breast cancer research will be a nice idea.