Holiday Grand Plan 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I second everything already mentioned. Especially about repairs and contractors. My honey is pretty handy but he’s having problems finding what he needs for repairs. Contractors here are all backed up too.

I’ve already started some of my cleaning that’s one of the beauties of the plan.

As someone who returned to school for my bachelors, worked full time and took care of my parents, most definitely take care of yourself!! For me, I asked my family what was most important to them for Christmas and I made a list of the priorities. I asked for help (very hard for this person to do.) I broke tasks up over a few days (making cookies etc.). The rest I let go (and that was hard to do). We had Christmas cobwebs, dust bunnies, and the laundry needed done and no one cared! All the Christmas traditions that were important were there and that’s what matters. I wasn’t too exhausted to enjoy the holidays doing things that weren’t important. I hope this helps.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Quite a few years ago, there was a group on Facebook that did the HGP (minus the holiday prep) during the spring
as a Spring Cleaning schedule. I thought that was cool.
If you can go through it a couple of times a year, you won't have such big deep cleans once a year!

Anne
That Facebook group is still doing it I believe they just start over after each set of 18 weeks.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Quite a few years ago, there was a group on Facebook that did the HGP (minus the holiday prep) during the spring
as a Spring Cleaning schedule. I thought that was cool.
If you can go through it a couple of times a year, you won't have such big deep cleans once a year!

Anne
This may be the group you're referring to -- Holiday Grand Planners -- Get Organized Community. I follow the group, but find more support and ideas in this forum. https://www.facebook.com/groups/HolidayGrandPlanners

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
As someone who returned to school for my bachelors, worked full time and took care of my parents, most definitely take care of yourself!! For me, I asked my family what was most important to them for Christmas and I made a list of the priorities.
Makes me think of the Christmas survey I asked Vic and Sophia to fill out. I'll have to dig it out because I don't think we've had a normal Christmas since they sent them back to me. Last year there was no Christmas at our house due to all the renovations and it was a quite one for Sophia and me in 2020 with Vic stuck in Okinawa.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jody and Lori- Thanks for the links!
I will check them out.
This is definitely something I want to implement!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am finalising a few plans. I have looked at my cleaning supplies and added them to my shopping list and pick up a few each shop. I have actually cut down on cleaning products over the years so don't need as much.
I have printed off my to do lists and added them to the binder so ready to go there. I will start the very end of August but if I get really motivated will start earlier.

Last edited:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I plan on starting on the kitchen section this weekend. Weather calling for rain for more than half the weekend so that will be a good time to clean out the cabinets and pantry cabinet, reorganize and make a shopping list of items will need to stock up on for the holiday baking,.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I will continue list making this weekend. I have a lot done but still need to do inventory of pantry, freezer and big shop lists.

I hope to do some of the painting project on my spruce up list next week. Need to get paint!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
so that will be a good time to clean out the cabinets and pantry cabinet, reorganize and make a shopping list of items will need to stock up on for the holiday baking,.
It is actually very smart to start in the kitchen for that very reason. Get a head start on the lists and grocery items.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Debbie Gail
During the CIJ posting we will be coached by Rebecca Van Hout on putting together our notebooks. She is the the HGP Planners Facebook site and has taken over for Cynthia Ewer. I have asked her about calendar pages for 2022 and she said she would try. Rebecca will be posting July 25-28th. You can print blank calendar pages (https://christmas.organizedhome.com/printable/calendars/undated-monthly-calendar) and fill in the dates and weeks using previous year's calendar. I needed to start early as we will be celebrating our family Christmas November 25 when we can all be present. DD is expecting her first child in early January and lives in MN so we need to keep her from traveling far for Christmas. Our usual family Christmas is NYE day.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I've participated in the HGP for many years, since it was on Katie Lackey's site. I have never completely finished it, just picking and choosing the areas I need to focus on. This year will be no exception. The problem is I don't have several of the areas that are focused on so I always think "oh I can catch up next week because I don't have that room". You know what happens then. I plan to do better this year.
I will work on my notebook as I can, it needs to be re done completely. My youngest son is getting married on September 3, then I can really focus on getting things done in the house.

I am excited because HGP talk means fall is on the way!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Reactions: Cathymac2

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I've participated in the HGP for many years, since it was on Katie Lackey's site. I have never completely finished it, . . .
Cathy, know you're not alone. Last year was the closest I came to finishing it. I just tell myself that something is better than nothing; what I've completed is more than if I hadn't made the attempt. Living alone, now, I'm doing it for me more than anything, and it's become more of my annual deep cleaning. With the schedule, it keeps me on some sort of schedule. So, welcome to the "it didn't all get done" club!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Whew! I was sure my calendar said I need to start the HGP this week. Behold! I don't need to start until the 7th of August. I been feeling behind and not ready all day. Now I have time to get my lists in order and do a couple of fun things to my notebook and I will be ready by the 7th. My plan now is to finish the closets I didn't get to and the dresser drawers. I have a charity pick up on Tuesday so would love to have lots for them to take. Would be great if I could get to the garage too. Ahh that might be pushing it. I think I will look at my Holiday Home Spruce-up list and get the supplies I need for sprucing up.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have no problem if I do not finish the plan. Just do my Best which is better than no plan at all for me. I think of it more as a guideline and do what is most important at the time. I jump between this and Flylady’s Holiday plan.