Holiday Grand Plan 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Today was a lot of list making. I am down to the Budget and Gift lists. I am quite pleased with what I accomplished. I have freezer and pantry inventoried too. I am finding we did a good job eating down both. I have a Costco list made for when we decide to go shopping. DS is a member and he gets us shopping cards. We go in about once a year to do a stock up. Unfortunately, my list is longer than my available funds but I don't think they will have all that I want. I will ask before we shop if we are allowed purchase beyond our funds.

For some reason, I have worked harder on the list making than in the past. I think it's because prices have gone up. I will certainly be happy when the supply chain is untangled.

My granddaughters are the difficult ones on my gift list this year. They want toys but they have so much already! They love opening presents. I am giving them a countdown to Christmas stocking, all popsicle stick ornaments. There are a lot of supplies needed so an added expense. I will come up with something.

Getting late time for sleep. Night all!

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
Hi everyone, thank you all for your replies - and so sorry I'm late to respond!

Since posting, I finished a course, started the one I previously mentioned, and started my own business.

I've been quite busy.

I've only just had chance to come back to Christmas-thinkin, although I have finished my advent fillers. So that's something.

I'll have another read through all of your advice.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I’ve had “If you give a moose a muffin”, morning; in light of making my list for my Christmas notebook and taking inventory of my ribbon lead me to clean out the utility closet in our office, rearrange it and make it more productive. When we moved in here in November anything I couldn’t find a place for went in that closet. Now everything has a home! But much to my dismay I can’t in good conscience by any ribbons, tags, or wrapping paper this year I have so much, now that it’s all in one spot.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Reactions: AuntJamelle

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I also follow the HGP facebook page and knowing it was suppose to end had me all confused. I clicked on the link and got the "goodbye" page posted a couple days ago and then somehow found another link that said.....Here's the new home and still had her name attached. So yeah, I'm assuming like everyone said Rebecca is taking over. I was coming online to see what everyone had to say here because I want to get my calendar worked out. I'm excited because I'm not working in elections this year which will give me the opportunity to actually complete the HGP. It's been a LONG, LONG time since I've finished it when intended. I usually do a household HGP of my own come February and get my house back in order after the holidays. A nice purge is always needed! Looking forward to sharing with you all.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Just ticked an item off my holiday home spruce up checklist. The stair railing is painted! It took longer than when I planned because as I was preparing it for painting I discovered it had a sticky icky surface to it so I scraped it all off. Today was a good day to do it as there is a light breeze coming through the door and with all the rain received on Sunday and Monday it was a little to wet outside to do the front of the house. I will start on that tomorrow. I am going to run to the local Family Dollar that is going out of business and see if they have 2 more curtain rods everything is 50% off. Last week when I was there I got 3 curtain rods and 4 jars of peanut butter for baking. I had more in the cart but put it back not really needed items.

Continued prayer for all and am so thankful to count you as friends.:)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Just ticked an item off my holiday home spruce up checklist. The stair railing is painted!
Good for you! Those items checked off always feel amazing

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
My granddaughters are the difficult ones on my gift list this year. They want toys but they have so much already! They love opening presents. I am giving them a countdown to Christmas stocking, all popsicle stick ornaments. There are a lot of supplies needed so an added expense. I will come up with something.
What about small crafts sets/kits for the granddaughters. Lot of the craft stores have the spring/summer craft kits marked down to make room for the fall and Christmas sets. It would give them an activity to do when it's too cold or the weather is too bad to go outside. Michaels always has jewelry making sets on sale on Black Friday too. Are the GD into certain books or a book series? If so maybe pick up a book from the series they like or introduce them to a new series.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I was going to suggest the craft kits or just crafting supplies. I find a lot of things at dollar tree and the thrift shops. All kinds of beads, paper supplies, etc. that would be fun to play with.

I hadn’t planned on starting cleaning but we needed to take care of the laundry room with the new washer and dryer coming. My husband pulled the dryer out so we could get that part of floor done and moved the washer. Such a mess! We went ahead and finished the entire back hall way and the bathroom too since we were working. All that needs done is to mop the floor once everything is delivered. I’m wore out but atleast I’ve got things started.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm oh so ready to start the HGP this year! I've already started on most of my lists!

I also knocked out the power washing outside that is part of Porch week - and also restained wood deck beams and repainted certain areas on deck as well. Looks so much better!

I've HGP'd a few key drawers here and there that just could NOT wait for their turn on the HGP proper LOL

I've also been signing the plans praises to a dear friend who has a new home of her own this year - hoping she joins me!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am so hoping that the weather improves here. Hard to do "spring cleaning" when it is grey and dismal.
Hope to get started very soon.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Another item ticked off the holiday home spruce-up list. I got the drapes shortened for the family room. I still have to hang a pair at one window but DH's art table is there and I will have to figure out just how to manage it. Do I work around table or move it? DH will definitely have something to say about it. It looks like there enough fabric cut off that I can make some couch cushion covers or decorative pillow for my bedroom. The curtains came from my bedroom I didn't like the pattern for the bedroom so I switch them for a solid color blush curtain. The white, gray, blush chevron look pretty good in the family room and with the furniture I got from my mom. They are much shorter and don't over-whelm the larger room. I will have to watch Kohls for their pillow sale.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I was going to suggest the craft kits or just crafting supplies. I find a lot of things at dollar tree and the thrift shops. All kinds of beads, paper supplies, etc. that would be fun to play with.
I've wanted to do something similiar for my 9 year old granddaughter. Take a flat rate priority box and fill it with crafting supplies from the dollar tree and mail it to her as a gift. I could fit alot in a box like that. I know she wants a nice lego set for Christmas, so I might still do this for her birthday next year, but then again I've been saying that for over a year. So I just need to do it !

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
The stocking countdown for the girls is crafting an ornament a day so crafts are covered. I did find gifts for the dgd. Dgd(11) a charm bracelet(Charm It DGD(9) a magic kit, dgd(6) an purse she saw at Target.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Tomorrow I hope to send DH to get a hand rail for the stair that go down in to our family room. The house was built in 1958 and the stairs are not what is standard today. The steps are very narrow and we are getting older and really for the safety of everyone there should be a rail. I also need him to get some sandpaper so I can start and project that will take some time to do. I really don't mind doing all these projects because I am able to listen to audiobooks. It keeps me going as I am interested in the book and before I know it the job is done.

Tomorrow the living room and entry (the coat closet is already done). I can get started right away at the decluttering and cleaning. I need to move furniture (DH's least favorite job) but I need help I do what I can without him. I will let you know how it goes.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
What a busy day today. I started doing my living room/entryway. I had 20 check off items on my list and did all but 7 I just needed to stop for the day. I went through Grandma's secretary, the buffet, and curio cabinet. I wiped down the walls, washed the base boards, moved furniture, dusted, remove seasonal items, and more. I have the drapes to do, furniture to vacuum, floor, clean the boot tray, take a photos for inventory and polish 6 silver pieces. Anyone have a product or method they like to share with me? I will wait until after Labor Day to put out fall decorations.

For holiday prep, I ordered granddaughter's gifts and a baby shower gift.

Last edited:

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Anyone have a product or method they like to share with me?
When I have to polish silver, I prefer the paste cleaners over TarnX liquid, but I have to use an old toothbrush in the intricate carved areas (ugh!). I've read that you can line a bowl with aluminum foil, add very hot water and equal amounts of baking soda and salt, soak the tarnished item and then rinse in fresh water and polish dry. Have never tried this method, though.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
I've technically started my own version of HGP today - I cleaned the front porch. Sadly, ours isn't the gorgeous front porches I always see in American "Clean With Me" videos; it's the size of a cupboard, and when the door is open, there is only enough room for one person to stand inside!
On the plus side, it doesn't take long to clean ;)