Holiday Grand Plan 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I've technically started my own version of HGP today - I cleaned the front porch. Sadly, ours isn't the gorgeous front porches I always see in American "Clean With Me" videos; it's the size of a cupboard, and when the door is open, there is only enough room for one person to stand inside!
On the plus side, it doesn't take long to clean ;)
While I won't begin my HGP for another week or so, I'm with you on the front porch, which makes starting my HGP so easy. I'm in a townhome, so technically I have no front porch. But I do take that time to sweep the landing, wash the storm door, sidelight, and transom windows inside and out, and trim back any plantings that are overgrowing the sidewalk (since we have a landscape crew that doesn't seem to know how to properly trim and thin hydrangeas). This year, I'm planning on painting the front door, too, as it's faded out over the years and has some scratches from my grapevine wreath. I'm also planning on looking for a replacement doorbell, as I hate the one I have, especially the plunger button.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
While I won't begin my HGP for another week or so, I'm with you on the front porch, which makes starting my HGP so easy. I'm in a townhome, so technically I have no front porch. But I do take that time to sweep the landing, wash the storm door, sidelight, and transom windows inside and out, and trim back any plantings that are overgrowing the sidewalk (since we have a landscape crew that doesn't seem to know how to properly trim and thin hydrangeas). This year, I'm planning on painting the front door, too, as it's faded out over the years and has some scratches from my grapevine wreath. I'm also planning on looking for a replacement doorbell, as I hate the one I have, especially the plunger button.
You've reminded me - I need to paint too. We store workout things in the porch, and the wall behind it has been scratched. All the junk covers it at the moment, but I remove it all to put Halloween and then Christmas stuff up, so I need to sort it soon.

I also need to sweep the path.
Ah well, just when I thought I was finished...

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Well, I worked on all the windows upstairs this morning: windowsills are washed windows inside and out are clean, screens are dusted off. Also did the front door and storm door. So happy that part is done!

I have a question… For your guest rooms do you put your fresh linens on even if you are not having company soon, or do you just put the comforter on and wait until you know a guest is arriving and then put the fresh linens on?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Well, I worked on all the windows upstairs this morning: windowsills are washed windows inside and out are clean, screens are dusted off. Also did the front door and storm door. So happy that part is done!

I have a question… For your guest rooms do you put your fresh linens on even if you are not having company soon, or do you just put the comforter on and wait until you know a guest is arriving and then put the fresh linens on?
I have one set of linens for the guest room and they are on the bed ready. That's how mom always did it and I never thought to question it.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I keep the bed made, just in case a friend or family member is in town and needs to stay over. If no one has used the bed, I'll strip the bed and wash the linens when doing the guest room, simply because my pup likes to sun himself on the guest bed, and I want it fresh for the holidays.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
So today I tweaked the decor in the Living room. It looks so much better. I must say I do have fun shopping my house. It surprises me when I just relocate items from within the room or from another room. I am not a natural decorator and it takes me a while to find the balance. Also, a lot of this is preparation for the holidays.

I also made some ham sandwiches to put in the freezer. That's a recipe I should share for the cookbook.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
When I have to polish silver, I prefer the paste cleaners over TarnX liquid, but I have to use an old toothbrush in the intricate carved areas (ugh!). I've read that you can line a bowl with aluminum foil, add very hot water and equal amounts of baking soda and salt, soak the tarnished item and then rinse in fresh water and polish dry. Have never tried this method, though.
I read once to leave the tarnish around the carved areas as it serves to make then intricate parts stand out - sort of like how things are outlined to make them show up better. I prefer the paste and have seen the aluminum foil "trick," but I've never tried it, either.

TarnX stinks to high heaven - like rotten eggs! lol

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have one set of linens for the guest room and they are on the bed ready. That's how mom always did it and I never thought to question it.
I am the same, bed is ready to go.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will work on the front porch next week. My porch like some of yours is very small so I have added a few things to porch week.
I will take down and clean the lighting that is attached to the garage (attached to the porch). I have also included giving the mail box a clean and I spray the inside with insecticide to deter bugs. I will sweep the driveway and ask DH to trim the groundcover.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have worked on my notebook some this morning getting ready to do the next room. I will have to be very focused as we are leaving for OH on Wednesday. So I won't have much time.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I started porches early, painting needed this year so completed the front steps and new railing; adding a fresh coat on the storm door. Still lots of patches and painting needed - our home is over 109 years old so the list of ongoing repairs seems endless.

Reactions: Whusky

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I was able to paint the inside of an open cabinet in the kitchen today and covered the shelves with shelf liner. I was just finishing up when Ds and DH returned from the Cubs game. It looks so good. Another item checked off the spruce up list. Not to many left.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I worked on my hallway closet which serves as my linen closet and where we also have to store our personal care products. It's literally the only closet like that we have. I did a purge and then went and bought some plastic organizing bins I hope will help. The problem is that it's super deep and things get pushed to the back. I bought some long, skinnier type holders so I can pull them out to reach what's in back. I hope that makes sense.

This week I jump started the laundry room and my food pantry area. I wanted to do more, but time go away from me. Sadly I tossed some food items, which I hate to do, but we've had so many dietary changes in our household the last year it was inevitable. I tried to get most of it donated during the last food drive, but I kept some I thought we'd use, but didn't.

I have the urge to work on it tomorrow, but I'm making myself NOT do that kind of stuff on Sundays. I have the dining room on my schedule for next week, but honestly I may just keep going in the laundry room.

If I'm honest, I'm all over the place because we finally got the money to start renovations on my home, so the next year or 2 is gonna be chaos and so crazy busy. I'm excited and scared all at the same time...lol

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Whew, I got check list for the Master Bedroom done. Closet, dresser, nightstands, windows, etc. I even remembered the ceiling fan and cleaned the mattress. with baking soda. I finally got DH to agree to get a new mattress. When we return from OH I will order a Helix that get high recommendations. The mattress does not require a box spring so I have to decide between a foundation with slats or a new bed frame. I also have to decide if I should upgrade to the "lux" model.

I was received gifts I ordered in the mail. I have 3 stockings to fill yet and I am hoping that DH and I can make it a day of shopping in September and get it all done.

I have a few extra baking supplies purchased but need to work on that more.

I am going to check out a couple of websites to get some Christmas and Birthday postcards and for my Sunday School class.

Oh I was also able to check off another Holiday Spruce UP item of the list. Eight down and 4 to go. The sanding and painting of the stair risers will take the most time.

Holiday Grand Plan

MHH Member
Apr 2, 2022
Centralia, IL
I also follow the HGP facebook page and knowing it was suppose to end had me all confused. I clicked on the link and got the "goodbye" page posted a couple days ago and then somehow found another link that said.....Here's the new home and still had her name attached. So yeah, I'm assuming like everyone said Rebecca is taking over. I was coming online to see what everyone had to say here because I want to get my calendar worked out. I'm excited because I'm not working in elections this year which will give me the opportunity to actually complete the HGP. It's been a LONG, LONG time since I've finished it when intended. I usually do a household HGP of my own come February and get my house back in order after the holidays. A nice purge is always needed! Looking forward to sharing with you all.
Hi Minnie it's Rebecca, I am the Admin for the FB group. I hadn't known Cynthia Ewer was almost done with the archive group when I made my post. The group would still have continued it was all about her actual website which was taken down the week she put up the new site. Cynthia had informed me she had one in the works but the last time I had looked at it there wasn't anything there yet and since she had retired I absolutely wasn't going to pressure her. She turned the group over to me a few years ago but I don't own HGP I just make the posts for those who want to keep going and have tried to save everything I could so that we can still access it. The files are now safely for the most part saved in the FB group and Cynthia will add what she wants to as she has time to the https://www.holidaygrandplan.com website I hope you continue to enjoy the HGP and reach out anytime if you are looking for something and I'm happy to try to help if I have a copy.