Holiday Grand Plan 2023...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Is anyone looking forward to HGP 2023?

It kicks off this year on Sunday, August 27th I believe? I am pretty sure it always starts the last Sunday in August. I have no idea how far through the plan I will make it this year but I am determined to do my best!

PAPER BINDER vs DIGITAL

Do you print out the checklists every year? Do you keep your own lists online? I haven't kept a physical HGP binder in years but I am considering doing it this time around. I got away from it because it was easier for me to type than write - I can make changes without erasing or crossing things out - but there is a certain satisfaction to having something to hold - to see things you've checked off your list.

Has anyone else struggled with this?

WEEKLY HOLIDAY TASKS

Are there any things that you have added to the weekly HGP tasks? Additional lists or spreadsheets? Things to remember? For example, during the first week I have added a note to myself to review medicine cabinet and make a list for restocking items for colds/flu etc. - or just items in general.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Well ... am I ready for HGP???? Not really, but I'm getting there, in terms of getting ready for some deep cleaning and holiday prep. I still use hard-copy print-outs and a binder. I keep my previous planning sheets, with notes on what needed to be done, prepped, repaired, purchsased, etc. to refer back to. When my binder starts getting tight, I will weed out the old sheets. My medicine cabinet check-list is in with my Master Bathroom week.

The one thing I've added to Week 1 is a Cleaning Supplies checklist, so there's no reason I can't get something done because I ran out of window or toilet bowl cleaner.

Just checked and the 2023 calendars are up now, and the plan does begin on Aug. 27th.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’m ready!!! Thanks for posting the start date, I need to get that in my planner.

I don’t print anything thing out. I use my daily planner and make a list that I cross off as I accomplish things. I take satisfaction in crossing off things and I don’t need the extra paper clutter (I’m not a online type person). I do refer to the posts here to jog my memory. I don’t do my rooms in order, I do them in a way that makes sense for me.
I already have days in my planner for baking etc so that time doesn’t get away from me. I have a personal deadline to finish shopping and I’ve already started to wrap. Once I finish decorating thanksgiving weekend, I want to be finished (except for the few last minute things), sit back, relax and soak up the season.

I’m currently doing a “pre-clean” right now. I am cleaning and decluttering all the closets, pantry’s, drawers etc, so they are done and out of the way when I actually clean a room. If I see things I need to restock/ replace at that time I add it to my shopping list. Ive done various forms of this over the last couple years and it has worked well for me. That way I can clean a room in a day and keep my back happy.

One issue this year is me on a ladder to deal with curtains, light fixtures, etc. My balance is not what it used to be (that darn vertigo) so I need to make sure my husband is here. I can’t be as spontaneous as I used to be(frustrating!!) and those things will take some planning. Husband is always happy to help, I just need to let him know in advance that I need his help.

August will be here before we know it!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I spent some time last week getting my cleaning supplies in order. I am still a paper and binder girl so have that all ready to go. My plan is a little different as we don’t have basements and attics here and I don‘t clean our garage.
I am keen to get started and make it all the way through this year.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am ready to start. I have a printed notebook with all the pages in sheet protectors. I made dividers for each room and on the back of the divider I have printed the check list. I will use a dry erase marker to check off the items as I go.

I have also changed it up a little, I start earlier List Week and Question Week are now each a week. There is a lot going on with those two weeks. I hope to pre-clean as MM is doing by doing closets, drawers.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I thought I was and I was looking forward to it, but I'm going to be traveling back and forth to help close up my mothers business now and that is defiantly going to put a kink into my plans. I may have to make my own time frame as time allows or just jump in when I get back. Haven't decided yet, but I've definitely thought about it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Are there any things that you have added to the weekly HGP tasks? Additional lists or spreadsheets? Things to remember? For example, during the first week I have added a note to myself to review medicine cabinet and make a list for restocking items for colds/flu etc. - or just items in general.
I have added washing and checking the fluids etc in the car. I have added this to porch week as my porch is small

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Husband will change all smoke detectors batteries while he is helping me do light fixtures. Since the ladder is out and he’s right there it works well. Already ready made sure we have new batteries when I cleaned out the laundry room closet.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Husband will change all smoke detectors batteries while he is helping me do light fixtures. Since the ladder is out and he’s right there it works well. Already ready made sure we have new batteries when I cleaned out the laundry room closet.
We change these when daylight savings starts and daylight savings end. It is exactly 6 months apart and a date that we can easily remember.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I had to replace one and the new one came with a 10-year battery in it. So I replaced the others with similar batteries and now just check them each spring and fall.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Good thought on prepping car for winter @sweetpumkinpye ! I gave it some thought and came up with the following possible steps for a week later in September:
  • Locate ice scraper, ice melt spray bottle, emergency kit, etc.
  • Get Oil change
  • Put in Deicing windshield wiper fluid
  • Put on Snow Tires
  • Purchase a car wash membership / schedule weekly trips to keep road salt off ?

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
I love the Holiday Grand Plan. Usually I don't get this excited about cleaning ;)

I use an A5 notebook rather than a binder; that way it's small enough to chuck in my bag when I'm out and about.
My house is tiny, so many of the weeks in the plan don't apply to me. Instead, I use those weeks as a catch-up, or focus on presents.
I may dedicate a week to getting things ready for the car though (great idea). This year I may use a week for 'dog related Christmas stuff'. So getting their towels/harnesses/beds deep cleaned, prepping their food etc.

Can't wait to start!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I love the pet focused week idea @Whusky !!! If nothing else, adding pet related items to some of the weeks is a really good idea!

Nothing like cleaning the house within an inch of it's life only to realize the dog beds look and smell horrendous - at which point they get quickly moved to the spare room :oops: Ask me how I know! :D

One of the things I love about the HGP is the ease with which you can swap out rooms and/or rearrange their order according to your needs, your home, etc.

My personal HGP weeks this year are going to look as follows - I think! - this is a process!!!

Week of Aug 27th - Front Porch/Deck

We have a small front porch that has two rocking chairs on it so it is pretty quick/easy to clean. I add power washing the front of the house as well as the deck railings. I also embark on the BIG job of cleaning all the windows this week. We have a LOT of them and it takes a lot of time to do. If I can get ahead it is so nice not to have the windows to do in any given room on the plan. I skipped most of them last year because of a mid summer clean and then we had the repairs on the house - drywall dust galore! - it doesn't really show on the white blinds but I know it is there. This year the windows may break me!!!

Week of Sept 3rd - Main Level Living Room and Hallway

This week I not only use carpet cleaner on the area rugs in these spaces but all such rugs on the main level. It is better for me to only have to haul the cleaner out once and just have the rugs done and over with!

Week of Sept 10th - Entry Way and Downstairs Bathroom

Week of Sept 17th - Master Bedroom

Week of Sept 24th - Master Bath and Linen Storage

This is the week I added my car related winter prep tasks to!

Week of Oct 1st - Kid's Room

Week of Oct 8th - Craft Room, Kid Bathroom and Misc. Outdoor Tasks

This week I help DH with outdoor tasks to get ready for winter. Taking up garden hoses, sprinkler parts, etc. as well as dealing with leaves! I also start regularly monitoring the Black Friday deal website!

Week of Oct 17th - Kitchen

Week of Oct 22nd - Kitchen cont'd, Pantry and Closets

Week of Oct 29th - Office and Downstairs Spare Bedrooms

Week of Nov 5th - Downstairs Hallway, Laundry and Utility Room Area

Week of Nov 12th - Upstairs Walk In Storage Closets and Downstairs Family Room

Week of Nov 19th - Dining Room

This is about the time I have to start remember to plan for DSon's Feb birthday!

Week of Nov 26th - Holiday Decor!

Week of Dec 3rd - Finish Up!

In maintenance mode after this point until Project Jumpstart January!

The weekly posts always go off the plan proper - with folks chiming in if they have swapped out a week. Speaking of which - who wants to do that this year? I'm happy to help if needed!

What is everyone thinking for their personal HGP week schedule this year? Stick to the original? Or some tweaking?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I so want to follow these plans this year but with our son's school marching band schedule it is not going to be possible. It's his senior year so we will be at every football game, competition and parades they will be in. I am starting to tackle some areas now and over the next month hoping to get more done but once Sept hits my weekends are booked all the way through until the end of Oct.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Have started on the closets this week. The frustrating thing is while I get a closet cleaned out I mess up another room making a new home for some thing else. Ah well. The room is on the HGP list so I will get to it eventually. I most likely declutter even more so a win. The goal is to complete the plan by Thanksgiving. Yup you heard that. We are doing Thanksgiving in October so it shouldn't be hard to do.

Once complete, I plan to enjoy the season and possibly host a holiday event in December. Time will tell.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I did finish a round a few weeks ago and we're going to be doing some house projects, as well as me traveling, so this should be interesting. BUT you are right and being able to switch things around is so helpful to me. I always look at my busy weeks and adjust accordingly.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I did the weekly post last year, I think I’ll pass the torch to someone else this year. Im happy to help if some one has a personal disaster and needs someone to fill in.
I usually start with the back hall and laundry area and leaving the kitchen for last. I need to make peach butter this year, no sense in cleaning then having to go back and clean up the spattered butter. I “batch” clean too. I have a carpet spot cleaner (bought last year, never used) so at some point will hit all the rooms at once. Will have a furniture polishing week, right before my scheduled manicure lol. Will probably take a week to do the entire upstairs. Except for sleeping we are never up there. Except for the master closet, I’m hardly in any other closets, except to get clean sheets, towels or bathroom supplies so there’s not much to do. My goal is to be finished by mid November when I start doing the trees.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I need to allow for a week or two where we may be on vacation or working at the farm. I made a difference last year and I got off track and never fully recovered.
The aim is to really declutter and clean well so that in the lead up to the move to the farm there is less to do here.