Holiday Recipe Notebook ~ 1/13/2008 ~ New Years!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Welcome to week one of the Holiday Recipe Notebook! We have all been waiting patiently to get started and the time is finally here!
I am going to start each week with some articles about the highlighted holiday and any other neat little facts I can find!

Then we can all post any recipes we have or find. These do not have to be recipes that you have already tried.

Here we go.....
:heartsNY:
:happynewyear: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :happynewyear:

Here is an article about New Year's Food Traditions.

Here is one about throwing a fabulous holiday party.

And last but not least, from Martha Stewart.....Crafts, recipes, ideas, gifts and more!

Quotes about New Year's!!

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. ~Benjamin Franklin

New Year's Day is every man's birthday. ~Charles Lamb

Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right. ~Oprah Winfrey

Every man should be born again on the first day of January. Start with a fresh page. Take up one hole more in the buckle if necessary, or let down one, according to circumstances; but on the first of January let every man gird himself once more, with his face to the front, and take no interest in the things that were and are past. ~Henry Ward Beecher

AND for more facts about New Years!

My new tradition for New Year's Day is to have Black-Eyed Peas! This is also a great way to use your left over ham and ham shank from Christmas!

I am combining two recipes. One from theJanuary 2008 Issue of Food & Wine Magazine and one from Kalyn's Kitchen blog. I rarely prepare a recipe exactly the way it is written! I don't want to take any chances and not eat something lucky! I need all the luck I can get. Kalyn's recipe has Collard Greens in it and my family won't eat that.

New Year's Day Black-Eyed Pea Soup aka Hopping John Soup

2 tablespoons EVOO
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 cup celery, chopped in small pieces
1 large carrot, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic~ 4 minced, 1 whole
2 lbs of diced ham
1 pound dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and drained
1 smoked ham hock
6 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper
pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar, more to taste

In a large casserole pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, celery and minced garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the drained black-eyed peas, diced ham, smoked ham hock, chicken stock and bay leaves, thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low, cover partially and cook until the beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Season the beans generously with salt and pepper, taste for flavoring. Add more water if needed. When soup is ready, remove ham hocks and bay leaves, then use a immersion blender, food processor, or hand masher to partially process about half the soup. You want a mixture of broken and unbroken black-eyed peas, with some thickening of the soup from the pureeing process. Be careful not to over process. Add red pepper flakes and vinegar and simmer 10 minutes more. Serve Hot!

If it was not snowing again today..I think I would go out and buy the ingredients to make this!

Baked Crab, Brie and Artichoke Dip

found at Avalonwine.com

This dip has everything going for it in terms of being a great match with sparkling wine. The crisp acidity cuts through the creaminess of the Brie, the mouth coating quality of the artichoke and the salty nature of the seafood.

1 medium shallot
1 medium Walla Walla sweet onion
½ cup drained canned artichoke hearts
½ cup chopped spinach. (Fresh and blanched works best. Frozen does the job in a pinch)
1 lb. Brie
2 Tbs. minced garlic
2 Tbs. olive oil
¼ cup Riesling or other off dry white wine
2/3 cup heavy cream
3 Tbs. finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh dill leaves
1 Tbs. finely chopped tarragon leaves
1 Lb of shelled fresh crab meat
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon of Tabasco or less

Preheat oven to 425° F. and lightly oil and 11-inch gratin or other shallow baking dish.

Finely chop the shallots and onions.

Rinse and finely chop the artichoke hearts.

Squeeze dry and finely chop the spinach.

Discard rind from Brie and cut in to ¼-inch pieces.

In a heavy skillet, cook the shallots, onion and garlic in oil over moderate heat, stirring until pale golden. Stir in artichoke and spinach next.

Add wine and cook for 3 minutes, slowly stirring all the while.

Add the cream and simmer. Keep stirring.

Add Brie and stir until it just begins to melt.

Remove from heat and stir herbs into the mixture.

Check the crab meat for broken shell fragments. Stir crab, mustard, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste. Then stir into the cheese mixture.

Spread evenly in your baking dish and bake in the middle of oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.

Serve with toast or crackers and your favorite sparkling wine.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Here's what we eat for Christmas our New Years in Quebec. My recipe is for 20 people but I found one (copied and pasted) for 10 which is like mine.

Traditional Tourtiere

ONLY 10 servings Time 5 to 6 hours

1 1/2 lbs chicken, boned and diced
1/2 lb veal, diced
1/2 lb beef, diced
1/2 lb lean pork, diced
1/4 lb salt pork, chopped
3 small onions, chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 pinch nutmeg
pastry for double-crust pie
3 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups boiling water

The night before, combine the first 13 ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and let rest overnight in the refrigerator.
The next day, prepare potatoes and then prepare pastry.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Use 2/3 of pastry to line the bottom and sides of a 4 to 4-1/2 quart coverable pot.
Add potatoes to the meat mixture. Pour mixture into pastry lined pot. Add boiling water.
Roll remaining 1/3 pastry and cover mixture. Make slits to allow steam to escape. Bake, uncovered, until top is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Cover, reduce oven to 300 degree F, and continue baking for another 5 hours, until meats are tender.
Uncover and let rest about 5 minutes.
Serve hot. If there are leftovers it's even better reheated.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I tried this for the 1st time this year and we (including kids) really liked it. I used about half of the cayenne pepper when I made it. I copied the recipe from an e-newsletter from http://www.savingdinner.com.

Hoppin' John Soup

serves 6

1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 pound kielbasa, chopped
2 cans black eyed peas, drained
1 can navy beans, drained
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
1/2 tsp thyme
salt & pepper to taste
2 cans chicken broth

In stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add kielbasa, peas, beans, rice, broth, and seasonings. Stir well to blend and heat. Mash beans slightly to thicken soup (use back of wooden spoon).

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
luludou said:
Here's what we eat for Christmas our New Years in Quebec. My recipe is for 20 people but I found one (copied and pasted) for 10 which is like mine.

Traditional Tourtiere

ONLY 10 servings Time 5 to 6 hours

1 1/2 lbs chicken, boned and diced
1/2 lb veal, diced
1/2 lb beef, diced
1/2 lb lean pork, diced
1/4 lb salt pork, chopped
3 small onions, chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 pinch nutmeg
pastry for double-crust pie
3 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups boiling water

The night before, combine the first 13 ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and let rest overnight in the refrigerator.
The next day, prepare potatoes and then prepare pastry.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Use 2/3 of pastry to line the bottom and sides of a 4 to 4-1/2 quart coverable pot.
Add potatoes to the meat mixture. Pour mixture into pastry lined pot. Add boiling water.
Roll remaining 1/3 pastry and cover mixture. Make slits to allow steam to escape. Bake, uncovered, until top is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Cover, reduce oven to 300 degree F, and continue baking for another 5 hours, until meats are tender.
Uncover and let rest about 5 minutes.
Serve hot. If there are leftovers it's even better reheated.

Luludou
The directions say the first 13 ingredients. If I do that then I use the pastry and the potatoes too! Should it read the first 11 ingredients or is the recipe ingredient's list missing some? I have another question...what does Tourtiere mean?
Thanks!
Nutcracker

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Very sorry. It is really the first 11 ingredients. Tourtière is the just the name of the dish... a combination of different meats and potatoes in a pie.