How are you handling cold weather?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Bought a crank radio today!! It has a lantern and a cell phone charger included... so even if we get an electricity shortage we won't be badly off.

I bought more candles the other day and we have lots of blankets as well as firewood in case of emergencies.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Winter arrives this weekend here. Today we still have some degrees higher than 0°C but tomorrow we will have minus degrees for the whole day.
So my hubby and I made our supermarket tour today morning and had a walk through the city - watched the Christmas lights and advdent markets. Tomorrow we will stay in our warm and cozy home and bake Christmas cookies. Maybe I also find time to continue with my Christmas patchwork pillow.

Chilli

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Big snowstorm going on here in USA East Coast! Hundreds of cars have been abandoned on area highways. Public transportation is shutting down everywhere -- leaving me to worry about people who took the bus to work this morning..... and this afternoon... there are no more buses.

Did you see the story on Yahoo news this morning: An Apple store opened, with 6 employees. The employees broke into applause when, finally, somebody walked into their store --- and it was a reporter! No actual customers arrived today.

I have been watching television news -- on and off -- all day. So far --- no reports of electricity being out. That is the main thing. The roads are so bad -- and the snow is so deep -- I do not believe that repair crews could get out to fix broken power lines.

So things are fine now - for people who have been able to stay at home.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Brrrrrrrrrr! Sparke-Nana -- I hope everyone makes it back safe and sound!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
As it's been very cold here and a snowstorm ready to hit i'm all set have plenty of everything so i'll just stay inside and bake and watch christmas movies.:bigsnow::bigsnow::frosty:

masslass

Retire Member
Nov 10, 2008
Massachusetts, USA
The mid-Atlantic snowstorm is on its way up here, so we're just hunkering down, and it may only graze us with a couple of inches of snow. The weather people can't seem to figure out who's going to get how many inches - snowfall totals can really vary around here, based on how close you are to the ocean, etc.

I just hope we don't get so much snow that I can't take my daughter to see the Boston Ballet's Nutcracker tomorrow - I ordered the tix in October and she's been waiting so eagerly since then! :--)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Good Morning on December 20th - reporting from somewhere around two feet of snow! I have been in Vermont for plenty of big storms. It seems that almost every truck has a snow plow attached -- and as soon as the snow begins, they are everywhere! Also -- snowblower machines (the riding models) are busily clearing sidewalks and driveways. Everyone enjoys the beautiful snow -- and keeps on with their daily lives!

NOT SO in the mid-Atlantic. For example -- yesterday's storm dropped over twice as much snow as we got in ALL of 2008. People do NOT invest in snow-removal equipment. People do not learn to drive, as teenagers, preparing to drive on snow and ice. People go for years without encountering "black ice" (invisible sheen of ice on black pavement - that is deadly for walking and/or driving).

Schools panic and close at "snow warnings". And use up their "snow days". Then they stay open on dangerous snow days. Sometimes - closing, without notice, in early afternoon - leaving working parents with no idea that their children have been sent out in a storm, to find their homes locked and empty.

Good judgement, and experience, is in short supply.

Consequently -- yesterday - many people ventured out in their cars -- only to have their cars get stuck somewhere. The cars were abandoned - and - most of the people rescued and taken SOMEWHERE.

So far - our area STILL has electricity. Although, on the nightly national news last night -- they reported that hundreds of thousands of homes were without power. YIKES! Sick people. People with new babies. This is NOT GOOD. I think we need better ways of storing energy. End of sermon.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i live in richmond va. we got about 11-12 inches of snow on friday nite. it was prety coming down but now i want it to go away. i missed my daughters gradation because of the snow and they postponed the nutcracker till after christmas. i still need to buy a few things . they havent plowed our street yet. hope so i have to work tomorrow. have agreat day

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Here is a "heads up" to watch the national weather maps. At least a couple of big storms are threatening bad weather for New Year's Eve/New Year's Day! Plan accordingly -- so you will be safe!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in FL

Woke up in Central FL to 31 degrees but will chill says it feels like 24 outside!! I'm in FL, right???? YIKES! I'm going to hunt for those long johns! Gee, if we gotta get cold weather like this, I want SNOW! lol

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
It gets harder to love the cold weather the older I get. I'm trying to stay inside and pretend it's not the very beginning of winter.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
We are having a sustained cold snap here and this is causing a lot of icy conditions here. But very little snow.

The heating bills will be HUGE in the spring, but we have plenty in at all times. We may NOT travel to Clare for New Year's after all - we'll see how the weather is tomorrow. We DID go to Cork on Stephen's Day, but went a lot slower than usual and had an emergency flask of hot water, and a spare outfit in case we got delayed, in the car with us (we did need the outfit, as DH had a family funeral to attend which delayed us a day). We will do the same again if we DO go to Clare.

And we will also be prepared to stop on the road - even staying in a hotel if necessary.

But so far, so good. And the same for all around us.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hard Freeze in FL

Well, while we had a freeze warning Monday into Tuesday. This week end in FL .... we are to have a Hard Freeze down to the upper twenty's! FL folks don't know what to do with weather like this! Time to figure out how all the rabbits and chickens will be warm. I'm not putting chickens in my kitchen! HA

Actually, we have light out in the coop and then we have to cover the door with a tarp. The coop is an old metal shed with a chain link fence door!

The one male rabbit is in a hutch with a run. But the other one just has a cage so .... they may have to come inside in smaller cages overnight. Sigh ... pampered pets!

MamaCat

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Been mighty cold here in Texas too!

We have a pool & yesterday we woke up to a skating rink in our backyard! We'd been running the pool 24/7 for several days to keep the pipes from freezing. Well, they didn't freeze but the hose that goes from the pump to the filter did & drained our pool into our yard--in 13 degree temps! What a mess! S'pose to warm up some this week, thankfully, so hopefully we can get it fixed! It's been a very cold winter here--we even had a white Christmas, which was WONDERFUL!!!!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Wow, sorry to hear about the pool. Not fun.

Well, our wind chill overnight was 16 degrees. Crazy! It actually snowed south of us. But we didn't get any. Sniff sniff

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
We haven't had really frigid temperatures like some of you have experienced but it's been pretty cold here for a while. I have to admit I'm tired of it and would welcome a small break Even my dog doesn't want to go for a walk.

Looking forward to spring!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It is 72 here in my scrap room but it's 13 outside. Looks nice out my window, all white with snow. I can see the tree branches moving so it must be windy. Still it's a nice 72 for me.