How are you preparing your Turkey....?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Since I'm going to be cooking after all, I'm going to swap up my Turkey recipe this year. I've used Christina Ferrare's for the last few years (and its a good one) but want to change it up this year. To brine or not to brine. Baked with Rosemary or smoked? Olive oil or butter?

Alton Brown has a brine recipe of:

Brown sugar,
candied ginger,
allspice berries,
candied ginger

And another that is a barbecue one using a pound of honey.

So I ask you. For those of you that are cooking this Thanksgiving, how will you be preparing your turkey this year? I need help deciding.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
It's been a few years since I've cooked a turkey so not sure what i'll do this year. I know I don't usually brine it though. Sometimes I put it in a turkey bag and stick it in the oven.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I always prepare mine the same way:

Poultry seasoning
garlic salt
black pepper
onions
butter (inside and out)

I put a little water in the bottom of the pan, cover it up and let the seasonings marinate overnight in the fridge. Then it goes in the oven first thing in the morning.

It's a simple recipe but my birds come out moist and juicy every time.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Turducken

I started making a Turducken years ago. Once you have deboned a turkey you will not cook one with the bones again. It isn't hard. I watched a Youtube on it the first few times.

Since everyone always asked which was the duck I have not stopped using duck. So I suppose it really should be called a Turken.

I always make my aunt's stuffing mix using Jimmy Dean's Original sausage and then vary the other stuffing. I've done sauerkraut dressing, chestnut (which I forgot to put in the chestnuts) and dried fruit with rice. Not sure what I will use this year. I have one stuffing that uses mashed potatoes I might try.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am going to use our NuWave oven - I've watched a few YouTube videos about it and I think it should work great!

Will probably stuff cavity with onions, celery and garlic...and then rub some olive oil and seasonings on the skin. I'm excited to try it!

sprouthappy

Retire Member
Nov 13, 2014
Wow candied ginger, who would have thought!
I was thinking of going for a twist this year. Maybe a teriyaki glaze with sesame seeds or something whacky. I did a spicy Cajun dry rub one year to spice things up, it was amazing.

My son’s going to make a tofu something or other because he doesn’t eat meat. I think that sounds gross, but he’s got some skills in the kitchen so I’ll end up trying it.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I generally do a deboned turkey roast or fried turkey but this year we've decided to do a smoked turkey in the wood fired commercial rotisserie.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Some good replies here! I've been pondering this.

Going with the Butterball (closing my eyes to the chemicals) because I do not have the energy to brine. Although the whole candied ginger, allspice thing looks so interesting. Might try that on a chicken breast at some point.

I'm not one for putting stuffing in turkey (the whole salmonella thing) but when I was a kid this is how we always had it. I might do that just so my kids have that experience (Watch ~ they probably won't touch it!). After all I never died when I ate it. But I'm not putting in eggs into that stuffing.

We will actually have several different stuffings/dressings since i will put out the Stovetop for the kids but am trying to tempt them away from that with a couple new gluten free options. DS I think will go for the GF route, but not DD.

But back to the turkey. Contemplating butter, rosemary etc. To baste or not to baste? I can't imagine not basting, but I've read several recipes that say put gobs of butter under the skin and just leave it alone. Really? Is there ANYONE here that does not baste?

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Cindylouwho. I stuff my bird with the dressing close to the time it's about to come out of the oven. I also bake the stuffing (seperate), then put in as much as will fit. My family love the juices the stuffing gets from being in the turkey.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Cindylouwho. I stuff my bird with the dressing close to the time it's about to come out of the oven.

Hadn't thought of that option. Do you just leave the cavity empty while cooking it?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I don't baste when I cook my turkey in the bag, there's no need to because of the steam in the bag. I may this year though, haven't fully decided if i'll do the bag or not.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Hadn't thought of that option. Do you just leave the cavity empty while cooking it?

Yes I leave the cavity empty. I put as much as possible inside and also just out side the cavity area. The juices make it oh so good.