How can I be more efficient in the kitchen...?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I noted that Wings said one of her Pyrex dishes broke.... made me think about this....

A word about freezer to oven cooking....... Pyrex cannot withstand sudden temperature changes, so if you're freezing in it and then trying to put it in the oven, it is going to crack....

Glass ceramic Corning Ware (but not the glass lids) CAN go from freezer to oven or vice-versa without cracking because it is made from the same material that the cones on the space shuttle are made from that can withstand going from one temperature extreme to the other, so if you want to freeze in a container and go immediately from freezer to oven, invest in Corning Ware.

Dollar Tree and Walmart (I noticed yesterday) both sell 3 and 4 packs of foil pans with cardboard lids. I have been buying them at Dollar Tree so I can send freezer meals with DD21 to college.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Even aside from the gluten-free distraction, I still think I can still speed things up a bit. Ridiculous how many trips I’m making across my kitchen and around the house. (I was WAY better tonight though -- now that my backtracking radar is on!) ☺

1. Do it ONCE.
2. Move reasonably faster (FlyLady always says to wear tennis shoes in the house).
3. Not multi-task SO much that I forget my current task and then have to do it again.
4. Get another salt & pepper shaker because apparently I need THREE sets, cuz they get hijacked and then I have to go find them.
5. Use my awesome tray more to carry stuff (I have one hanging on the wall. Just need to remember to use it.).
6. Lay out everything before I start cooking.

Problems:
1. Spices -- Next to stove but still not easily grabbed. Sigh. I want an undermount shelf but we have under cabinet lighting in the way.
2. DishTowels - I have no hook for these and it falls off if I hang it on the oven door. A problem. Always crossing the kitchen looking for it.
3. Knives -- Need to order a couple more Yoshi Blade knives. Love them as much as my Henckels and use them much more. They make chopping a joy. And they go right into the dishwasher.

Meanwhile, I'll be watching those Pioneer Woman's episodes and getting that 4-hour Chef book in any day now. And I’m re-thinking my freezer strategy. At least it is cleaned out.

Here’s something I can share for you guys that I do that works really well. I unload my dishwasher by using those dishes in the morning. By the time I'm done cooking breakfast, much of it is unloaded because I pull from the dishwasher instead of the drawer. I pat myself on the back for this one regularly. Makes putting the rest of them away a snap! ;) *pats on back*

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Thanks!

missjane - I did not know this about Pyrex. Always thought my little 2 cup measuring cup could take hot to cold liquids ... thanks.

Cindylouwho - I am always chasing after the salt shaker DD21 leaves out on coffee table! And I like the dish washer idea!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
MissJane - my pyrex broke more as a result of slippery hands meaning it hit the floor far faster than it should have, rather than gently being placed on the worktop. [blush]

But the point about sudden temperature changes is still important!

There was a programme on here last night (well, UK but we get those channels) where chef Jamie Oliver was doing "Money Saving Meals", and had a fair amount of information about freezing different types of food and also HOW to freeze them to best keep them, save space and thaw quickly. He froze meat sauces (not terribly "wet" looking) in Ziploc bags but laid out as flat as possible to go close to the top of the bag when it was laid on its side - easy to store in the freezer and very fast to defrost even straight in the pan.

I think, based on all the good advice flowing on this thread, I can see a few things that actually are problems I hadn't noticed and that I will try to change a little in the coming weeks.

I am especially interested to see that there are a number of you ladies who have changed to gluten free - that is something I have to consider without any testing or formal reason to do, just a "gut feeling", if you will pardon the pun!! I may put up a thread here soon to get advice and recipes from you experts. But I have serious amounts of pasta and flour to use up from my stores first before I try to make the change.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Kitchen

I have Pinterest recipes for GF!!! You are welcome to look there if you are on Pinterest!

Recently my Pampered Chef flat stone broke!! Ack! Crying ... DH used it to put a frozen Mrs. Smith's apple pie on (no, it wasn't gluten free!) in the oven. About half way through baking time ... there was this horrible cracking sound! Sigh ....

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Glass ceramic Corning Ware (but not the glass lids) CAN go from freezer to oven or vice-versa without cracking because it is made from the same material that the cones on the space shuttle are made from that can withstand going from one temperature extreme to the other, so if you want to freeze in a container and go immediately from freezer to oven, invest in Corning Ware.
When I read about the breaking dish I was think I take stuff from the freezer to the oven all the time. But you are right, I have mostly Corning Ware.

I am worried about my PC flat stone breaking. The other day the LC reminded me to always preheat it before using it. I hardly ever do that. It is starting to look well seasoned and I enjoy it a lot. It works really good with gluten free items since they tend not to crisp up very well.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Miss Jane -- Interesting about the Corning Ware. And that sounds like exactly what I need. Noticed you specified Glass-Ceramic so I googled it. Apparently you have to watch which set you are buying? They were bought out in the 90s and the product was changed to Stoneware because the darn originals weren't breaking and they couldn't sell more to their fan club. :) The new stoneware doesn't seem to be as resilient to temperature change as the originals. I'm assuming you have the originals? Or the stoneware?

Here's one of the links I found with a little history.
http://cookinwluv.blogspot.com/2013/12/corning-ware-my-favorite-pieces-part-3.html

I might go digging for some of the originals -- my mom's are still around but i'll never be able to pry those out of that house! :)

Contemplating chains for the Salt & Pepper. Surprised someone hasn't rigged that and posted it on Pinterest yet.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I didn't realize that about the Corning Ware. I do have some of the original. Most I have picked up from estate sales and thrift stores as your linked blog post suggested. Since I know that, I may have to look for more! :) The original can be used on top of the stove, in the oven, under the broiler...so versatile! Take leftovers straight from the refrigerator and plop it on a burner, turn it on....and voile'...you have warmed up leftovers all with one pan to wash! Love it! I even have some of the detachable handles and wire racks it sits in on the table. Neat!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My Tim Ferris 4-Hour Chef book came in at the library. They didn't have it on disk. Rats. But WOW! Glad I have the book version. It is over 600 pages and while I was expecting to just flip through it, his tone is so conversational (like Pioneer Woman's) I found myself reading the first paragraph and not stopping. VERY interesting! He approaches the whole thing from a global Save our Farmers perspective (which speaks to me). He also has some Paleo references in there too which I didn't expect -- that speaks to me too. Nicely laid out. Seems to have lots of kitchen efficiencies but he forks over the essence to fast cooking right off the bat: Sequencing.

I'm going to keep reading. :)