How do I hide a Flat Screen over my Mantel?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We have a Flat Screen over our fireplace -- and it is an unsightly black hole. DH loves it. Ugh. I really want to disguise it so that it is only one of the things on the wall. Really I'd like to have a cabinet over it, but I know the cabinet door would always be open so that is kind of pointless. Rather I'm thinking of putting other stuff on the wall with it so it becomes one of a group of items.

The plan in the lead at the moment is to have 2 square frames of art on either side of it, but really I could do more. I have high ceilings in that room and have a lot of bare wall over the mantel to work with. I'd like to frame the TV but don't have the budget nor does DH have room on his to-do list. Well, I can probably figure out how to work a power saw if I am inspired. ;-)

Anyone have any ideas or tips? Our house is a Craftsman and the room is deep red with lots of stained wood. Whatever I put up there has to pop. A black hold on deep red is not working.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
You could do a photo wall with the TV as the center. Just find a frame color you like (or paint old frames that you already have) and put up pictures willy nilly or in some type of pattern. I did my first photo wall when we moved here a few months ago and it turned out pretty cool. You could also put objects, not just pictures. I've seen some with a big letter that represents your last name, old skeleton keys, etc. You could even put up little shelves to put knick knacks on as well that tie into the color theme you want. Good luck!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have one over our mantel too. It is a black hole. It's large so there isn't much space around it. I did decorate the mantel so there was stuff framing it. I have tall fleur de lis things on one side and tall candle holders on the other. If you goodle hide a flat screen there are several neat ideas out there.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I did this on a wall once, but it could work on a mantel, too. I bought a blank piece of art canvas that was large enough to cover the screen and added more wood to the frame so it was deep enough to cover the tv and still hang on the wall. I did some abstract art (flowers), painted the side wood a color that complimented my room and the picture. When I was entertaining or just wanted the tv to go away, I hung the picture up. When the picture was down I either slid it under a bed or behind the couch. Not the ideal situation, but it worked for what I needed.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Kim - I love your idea!
We have a new fireplace and I forbade dh to put the tv over it... it is on the wall beside it... not the best either ;)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
KLS, love that idea.

laikengrace

Retire Member
May 28, 2008
Hi, We built a wide frame for our flat screen. It literally frames it like it is a picture. Yes, you still see the tv, but it looks so much better. We get so many compliments on it and are constantly asked how we did it. Since you have a tall wall, maybe if you framed the tv and then put framed pictures around it , it would blend in more.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks everyone! Great ideas! I have googled this topic off and on for nearly two years and have yet to find my solution. You all are so creative I thought someone might have some ideas. :)

KimLovesSnow -- Love the canvas frame idea. When it is hanging, does it hang directly on the tv or on a hook above? It doesn't fix the everyday but that would be nice when I am entertaining.

laikengrace -- This was my original plan to frame it like a painting. That idea got stalled due as DH was pondering the weight of the wood on the tv. What kind of wood did you use and how many inches thick? Also, does it actually connect to the tv or is it attached to the wall?

MrsSoup - I started layout out designs on the wall yesterday in fact, using paper templates. Like the key idea. :)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
KimLovesSnow -- Love the canvas frame idea. When it is hanging, does it hang directly on the tv or on a hook above? It doesn't fix the everyday but that would be nice when I am entertaining.

It did not hang on the tv. It hung on a nail over the tv. I used really light wood - can't remember what kind - maybe something like a balsa wood?

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I've seen somewhere (probably HGTV) where they did the picture idea, but attatched the picture to a hinge so it would open like a door. They may have used a piano hinge to handle the weight of the picture.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Jinglemom the hinge is a great idea!

laikengrace

Retire Member
May 28, 2008
Hi CindyLouwho,we used moulding.....different sizes, till we liked what it looked like. Ours is not heavy and it is hanging separate from the tv, but it fits right up to the tv, and my husband drilled some air holes in the bottom to be sure enough air could circulate through..to make sure the tv didn't overheat. It's been fine for almost a year now and it looks great. There are numerous pins on Pinterest with instructions on ...I think you'd love it !!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
A set of wood decorative shutters may be an option, easy enough to move and looks nice as a backdrop for other seasonal decor

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Sounds like ONE of you must own this television then!

http://www.gusandlula.com/2009/09/wall-mounted-tv-disguise-tutorial.html

Was thinking I had this decided when I saw this link but HouseElf, shutters are a great idea - especially if I made them bifolds! Hmmm. We have barn doors in our house with sliders. I've been re-pondering that concept as well .... I just worry it would look weird to have a slider left open all the time (which it would be). Maybe if it split down the middle and opened on each side?

I still have time as we are re-doing the fireplace and will do the whole thing at once. We'd better hustle as the temps are finally starting to drop down from the 70s.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I've seen somewhere (probably HGTV) where they did the picture idea, but attatched the picture to a hinge so it would open like a door. They may have used a piano hinge to handle the weight of the picture.

Jinglemom I've seen that on HGTV/DIY. They hung a small barn door that you can slide to cover the tv and then slide it to the side when you want to watch the tv. I've seen several ways they've done it. Looks really nice.