How Do You Celebrate Your Child/Children's Birthday/Birthday

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Let me hear what you do for your kids!
Do you do anything beyond having a cake?

This year, my children's birthdays are on weekdays which aren't convenient times to have grandparents over. I made cupcakes on my daughter's actual birthday (complete with a candle for her) and made a cake for the Saturday after when we had family over in the afternoon. This is a tradition I want to carry forward; I love baking so it's an easy one for me to do both cupcakes and a cake. My DH took her birthday off work and has arranged the same for our son's (this Wednesday). We've also always got a helium foil balloon for birthdays.

I'd love to hear what others do. I want my kids to have fun with birthdays. :pink:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We have a cake and ice cream on their birthday. Some years we do the whole family deal, some years just grandparents. They always get to pick their dinner. Before they start school, ages 1-4, I take a personal day and spend the day with each child, usually getting their picture taken and going out for lunch and play time. I take lots of photos and scrap their special day.

Lisa

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
We usually do cake & ice cream and the bday child can pick their own dinner. We aren't big on parties - only do one every few years, maybe. DD's actually getting one this year - her first since she turned 1 and she'll be 9 next week! If the grandparents can make it on the birthday evening, great, but we don't worry about it if they can't.

One thing my cousin always did was letting them pick who they want to invite to do something fun that day (or the next weekend). Her kids would choose a cousin, grandparent, friend and an activity - seeing a movie, playing putt-putt, going to the zoo. She has used that instead of a birthday party since her oldest (12 yo) was born and they love it.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't have kids myself, but my brother and his wife always have cake and icecream for my nieces and nephews on their birthday if it falls on a weekday. Then on the weekend they have a party. The teens aren't into having parties anymore. They prefer to get money and go to the mall or movies or wherever. The smaller kids get a nice party complete with balloons and one of those play pens the kids bounce around in and a pinata.

Oh I forgot they love to get their faces painted.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
When the kids were younger we received both families for supper & cake (it was always on weekends) + they had a party with some friends (not more than 4) with cupcakes.
Now they are teens so on their birthday it's a cake (even if it's a weekday) and the families come by to eat a piece. DS (15) decided he wasn't having a party this year with friends.
DD is going to be 17 on the 18th and she wants Sushi with coconut pie (things we never eat??!!), we'll have another cake so the family can come by for a piece, and she will be having supper with her boyfriend and another couple during the weekend.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
DS (15) doesn't has never liked cake so he has a pumpkin pie with cool whip instead. He gets to pick where we go to eat out at and then we do presents when we get home. He's never really wanted a birthday party although last year we did a computer gaming day with his friends at one of the local gaming shops.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
My kids are all grown up, now. Their birthday celebrations have changed.
Currently, whenever we have Family Dinner Day during a birthday month, that person gets to pick what we have for dinner. I buy them a card, a gift or give them cash. I send them birthday wishes on their MySpace page, call them and yell HAPPY BIRTHDAY into their answering machine while they are at work. LOL
It varies from year to year and month to month.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
DS7 wants a party at the local theatre this year-eek$$$! I have to check out the price-if it's too expensive We'll take him and a friend or 2 to a movie instead.
I want to start to bring them a small breakfast birthday cake in bed the morning of their birthday and make the entire day theirs! :party:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My daughter always had a friend party on the weekend and her grandpa always took her out for a family dinner on her actual birthday. The parties are getting easier as she gets old (not so much planning with themes and all), so we'll probably keep doing the same thing!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My boys usually get their choice of dinner on their birthdays, with a small cake or cupcakes if it's a weekday, and their parties are on weekends. Last year and again this year, DS7 (about to be 8! :thud: ) is having a "dirt" party.

He loves to dig in the dirt and so do his friends, so we are gathering a few kiddos (boys and girls!) to go to the farm and play in the dirt. They will take trucks, tractors and shovels and go to it. Then we'll roast hot dogs, have individual bags of chips, and make s'mores. Then we'll come home and have cake and ice cream...

DS6 will have a swimming party for his July birthday. I'm still a little sketchy on details on this one, but it is sure to be sports oriented. He's a sports NUT! Probably baseball, since that will be the most recent sport we've finished and won't have started football yet.

DS15 gets the money that I would have spent on a party instead. Last year he did have 3 friends over to spend the night...his birthday is December 19, so you can imagine the problems. However, last year school wasn't out until the 21st, so everyone was still in town. It worked out great because the Jr High where he goes to school was having semester tests that week and he and his friends were all exempt, so he was able to have his sleepover on the 20th. It worked out well. This year...who knows! I'd like to do a big boy/girl thing for his 16th, but I seriously doubt he'll go for it! We'll see.

:happybd:

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
we are planning DD5 first birthday party outside of family- the next one will be one she is 10 inbetween we will let her choose a friend or two and activity.

The day of we have a cookie cake, let her pick dinner- and starting next year- we were out of town this year so I didn't do it-I am going to have Glitter the Elf leave her a birthday stocking full of spring things.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
DDs, ages 8 and almost 5, usually have a big family party in the backyard. This year is DD8's First communion a few weeks after her birthday so we just went out to the Outback Steahouse for dinner instead and she had a treasure hunt with a few friends in the backyard.

The little one will have her birthday party as usual but delayed by a few weeks. Fortunately she has only a hazy idea of when her birthday actually is.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
LadyEvenstar- don't feel bad my DD5 birthday was March 13 and we are having her friends party on May 31- because we had to wait until warmer weather for the pony rides. I have some that have said that is too late- I tell them- both months begin with M and have the same numbers in the date ;-)

Actually she doesn't care she is completely excited just to have one.

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
Birthdays are a BIG deal at my house. We think that the day children are born is one of the most special days in both thiers and your's life. And it should always remain that way.

My dd's get a party of their choice. Usually either the weekend before of after their actual birthday.

We have a family dinner with the grandparents from both sides, aunts, uncles and cousins, and a few close family friends. This year the total is 18 people!

And on the day of their birthday they pick all the meals, get control of the TV, get their presents from us and of course cake.

And this year DD10's birthday was on a Monday so we took cupcakes into the class at 2:43pm (her birth time) to share.

We are thinking of surprising dd10 next year with a trip to Disney. We have all gone for our birthday except her because of weather and crowds. But we have decided to bite the bullet and do it!!

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
My kids have birthday parties, usually at home, with friends. I used to invite family over at a separate time, but now I just invite them at the same time and have them stay later than the friends. That way the kids can open their presents from family members without all the friends there.

I also make a commemorative magnet each year for each of their birthdays, with a picture, their age, and the date. I actually just recently featured the magnets on the blog if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Birthdays are a big event in our house. I have 2 Daughters aged 3 and 8. :party:

I always put up birthday banners and balloons all around the house. We usually have a themed party on the weekend before or after the birthday and I always book the day off work for their birthday. We usually have a family day out of their choice.

My MIL always bakes their birthday cakes and as the years go by she is getting progressively better and better! I always cross stitch their birthday cards and wrap their presents with ribbons and bows. This year I invested in my own hellium balloon machine, and now the birthday fairy places 'floating' balloons over their presents. My kids friends now say they can't wait to see my design for the party invites (talk about added pressure).

We leave the decorations and cards up for at least 2 weeks after the event! I update their memory books, usually 3 pages, 1 with a couple of birthday cards on, 1 with details of the celebrations and photos and 1 with a hand and footprint, their height, weight, a lock of hair, shoe size, number 1 UK chart records, popular film at the cinema! I want them to grow up knowing that their birthdays are important milestones in their lives and I love to put a lot of effort in, so it really is a big deal!