How do you decorate for winter?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
I wasn't sure where else to post this. It isn't really Holiday Decor, but it is decor.

I find the house looks so beautiful with all the Christmas decorations, but I can't leave them up forever!
But once you take them down the house seems so naked and cold. I want it to feel beautiful and warm and cozy all winter long, just like it does over Christmas.

How do you creat that feeling in your home?

Also, is there anywhere on this site where people have pictures posted of their homes? I love to see how others express themselves in how their homes are decorated.

:happynewyear: :heartsNY: :party:

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I know what you mean about the house feeling bare after the Christmas decorations are put away. One of the little things I've had the last couple of winters is snowflake window clings. I leave them up to add a little something to the windows. They're just vinyl.

I'd love to hear how others celebrate winter. :snow:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh, I would LOVE to have a picture forum!

I sort of long to reclaim my empty spaces back after Christmas is over, though everything does seem much emptier after the lights and glitz are gone! I keep out any snowman themed items, but take away anything that is obviously Christmas. Snowmen, snowflakes, nature themed (berries, birds) items are nice. I leave out warm, cozy blankets on the couches and chairs. A few bright spots of color help focus my eyes from the empty places until I get used to them again! :party:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I put out/leave out my snowmen. I also hang some snowflakes in the windows to have a bit of sparkle on the cold, dreary days. As Holiday Joy said, I put out blankets and throws, lots of pillows, warm rugs on the hardwood floors, and candles always say cozy to me. Our home is pretty country cozy anyhow, so it's not too hard to do. I also like to bake more in the winter months and have a fire going in the evenings.

:heartsNY:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Other than the things already mentioned, I leave out my evergreen ornaments and sometimes use my snowman or wintry tree decorations as window charms and for decoration on my curtain tiebacks. I use my plaid quilted table runner and my birch bark candles. This year I would like to get some white painted branches to put in a lg vase and spray with a little glitter.

CrazyMomto5

MHH Member
Oct 26, 2007
Orange County, NY
I use Christmas decorations with my Snowmen stuff. When January rolls around I leave all my snowmen up which are many but it looks different and fresh cause all the Christmas stuff is gone. It stays up until Feb and then the decorating begins again.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I leave most of my snowmen up all year long. Just because I love them.

:heartsNY:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm the same as almost everyone else has mentioned. I leave my Snow Village and snowmen out until the end of February, I have a year round tree that I change with the seasons/holidays/latest whim, I am leaving my red, white and black tree up in the kitchen for a few more weeks, I have a pine garland that I weave a red berry garland into and put on the mantle during the winter, and lots of throws and quilts laying around. My family complains that we live in an igloo because I keep it so cool in there, so they welcome the warm covers.

I am also planning to leave the garlands on my porch rails for a few more weeks. It's just garland, ivy and lights. Very pretty, not all that Christmasy.

Check out my pictures here: http://www.holidayhamlet.blogspot.com

You'll have to scroll down a little to find the pictures.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
I decorate with blue, silver and white for January. I have snowmen pictures on my walls. I have a winter wishes small lamp on my kitchen counter, I have a light blue tablecloth and table runner that I put out. In addition to the snowmen. I have snowmen pillows that I put on my couch. I have snowflake votive holders and an electic snowman candle out. I keep these out until the end of January. :bigsnow:

itsanewme

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
watching Off Kilter
I leave out the snowmen
(also have a few Gingerbread wall hangings in my kitchen that I cant get myself to take down yet)
When dedecorating the tree I put the red bows in a bag to put around the house mid January as Valentines Day gets closer

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Hi

I fully agree with you - I feel the same. As soon as the christmas decoration is gone, the home looks cold and unfriendly

This year I put up some winter decoration. Different kind of snowmen, fir cones with artificial snow on it, snowflakes, etc :frosty:

Furthermore this page offers many ideas about decoration http://www.indobase.com/home/index.html

Chilli

VictorianChristmas

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2008
Oregon
Yes it is hard for me to take down the tree. In fact my tree is still up! LOL! I left it up for Epiphany. So tonight we all take it down.

I am leaving out my white candles. One set of candles I found were so fab they have 3d Cardinals on them and it is all cream color. Then I put out my ceramic bird figures around the house. That is about it. I do Valentines decorating too.

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
snow people and flakes...

On the piano I left out my snowman snowglobe and set out a black charger plate with 3 pillar candles in orange, red and purple on it. I draped a crystal garland around the candles on the plate and then put a crystal-like snowman on it. Hard to explain but VERY cute.

I also filled a white plate with a striped blue border with handpainted snowman ornies that I made for the kidlets in 2004 and then draped a snowflake garland over and around that

I hung a snowflake garland over the picture window in the living room and hung a single blue and silver beaded snowflake framed in the center

Other than that I have a bunch of snowpeople out..

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
I have the last pair of mittens my greatgrandmother knitted and her old knitting needles in a wood case that I have sitting in a window sill.